Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

954787 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 210 211 212 213 214 ... 315 Previous Next
  • runsinmiddleofnowhere Amateur 36 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009

Chickadeedee, I'm so sorry you're having a horrible reaction to a food that you're eating...anything new you've added to your diet??  It's hard to rule out a particular item but it sounds if you need an Epipen that it's serious....what does your doc suggest you do while you're waiting for your allergy testing?  I hope you don't have to stop your running and can figure it out....I had a scary episode last Sat. morning...I pushed a little further on my mileage (still only did 3.6 mi! c'mon) and towards the end of my run I suddenly got lightheaded and stopped and put my head between my knees for a few seconds, then continued on home at a slow jog (probably not the smart thing to do).  Think I got myself into a tizzy cuz the heart started beating fast and the anxiety set in because I pictured myself fainting out in the middle of the big field I run in and with the tall grass on the side of the road I don't think anyone would have found me for a while....I took my BP when I got home and it was much higher than normal and it took my pulse a long time to settle down too...I felt really tired for the next 24 hrs....I've never had anything happen  to me like that, haven't run since but will do a short run tomorrow morning, I was out before sunrise that morning so heat wasn't an issue.  I also checked my blood sugar when I got home and it was normal.  (I don't have a blood sugar problem or diabetes, I just have a glucometer around because I get low blood sugar once in a while if I don't eat). I had a good breakfast that morning tho of apple and oatmeal.  Anyway, I know how you must feel thinking you could start feeling horrible while out running with a reaction to a food...I wear my Road ID bracelet and always take my cell phone with me, if we were to drop out there somebody needs to know who to call if they find us...I hope you figure out your problem soon so you don't have to worry about it.  I made an appt. with my doc this week to see what he says about my 'episode'...and Yes, I too lay out my running clothes and shoes every day so when I get up in the morning I see my posters that say 'justputonmyshoes' and I can reach for my clothes and not even think twice about getting out the door!  We need all the motivation we can get!

Completed:

Spring into Action 5k, 3-20-11, Sparks, NV

Rock 'n River Marathon, 10k, 5-1-11, Reno, NV

Paiute Meadows 8k Trail Run, 5-21-11, Susanville, CA

Bizz Johnson 10k, 10-9-11, Susanville, CA

Right now just run for the 'zen' of it.....

• chickadeedee Amateur 20 posts since
    Jun 23, 2011

Meg,  My mother has convinced me that it is a good idea to take my cell phone, epipen, and inhaler with me when I run.  My husband convinced me to take a pepper spray(I ran around a corner one day and was only about 20 ft away from a black bear).  So now I run with a fanny pack that feels more like a tool belt as I clank and bang down the road.  but I guess better safe than sorry.  You should probabably carry a cell phone at least.  I run on side road, but cars at least go by once and a while.

I need to get ready to run before my brain has a chance to wake up and talk the body out of it.  Hope everything turns out okay at the DR.

Started running March 2011

Run For Beer- Newmarket,NH 6/5/11 5K.... ....................31.28

Friends on the 4th- Portmouth (Pease) ,NH 7/4/11 5K.... 29.45

Thunder Chicken- Portsmouth, NH 8/4/11 5K................. 30.04

CHAD Super Hero Run, Dartmouth, NH 8/28/11.............. 28.05

Seaside 4 miler, Kittery, ME 9/18/11............................. 33.25

GreatBay 5 K, Stratham, NH 10/29/11........................... 25.46

Pickle Run 5K, Tybee Island GA 22/27/11...................... 28.36 (Beach Run)

New year 1st run, Lowel, MA 1/1/12............................... 25.44 (PR)

Cabin Fever 5K, Milford, NH 1/14/12................................ 26.56 (1st in my Division)

Frosty Knuckle 5.5 K, Salsbury, MA 2/12/12....................31.46 (beach run)

• rcuriel Pro 178 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011

Wow, allergies - especially food ones are something you need to watch.  After I hit puberty I developed severe allergies.  Exercise made them worse.  If you develope allergies later in life, sometimes it takes a while to figure things out.  I slowly learned I could no longer eat most fruits, vegetables and most shell fish -- didn't have a problem with any of these before puberty.  First few times I broke out in hives thought it was from playing tackle football on grass, never thinking that the apples we at afterwards had anything to do with it.  It got to the point that I was a bit afraid to eat anything that I hadn't had recently.  I had a job right after high school where I got done around Midnight and I would sometimes go on a 12-13 mile run after I got home.  One of those times I'd had a tosdada and about 7-8 miles in to the run I started breaking out in hives.  No cell phones back then so found a pay phone about 3 miles from home and made the collect call home to have my Dad come pick me up and take me to emergency.  Dad wasn't thrilled and I was as sick as dog - so no happy campers on that 20 mile ride to the hospital.  I had the old version of the epipen (hypodermic needle with a two stop plunger) - never used it, cuz I felt I might need it for more dire circumstances.  For me, my reactions were very fast and severe, would starte 2-4 hours afte eating and over within 3-6 hours after that.  Last episode was about 4 months ago, had some organic yogurt that used radish to "color" it, very mild reaction - but only after a hard workout, just rash on inside of elbows and hands.  Sure beats the full body hives, ashtma, throwing up and gastrointestinal problems of my younger days...don't miss that at all.

Oh, in college after eating a walnut I was tested (scratch test), I reacted to everything including the control - sterile water!  They made their best guest by asking me what I had reacted to in the past and trying to gauge relative size of the lumps!  I assume that things have improved some, but don't be suprised if things aren't that definitive.

Ray

• 7suns Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 16, 2008

Our Wisconsin mornings have been a bit cool, not complaining though. Perfect for a morning run. Looking forword to fall races here, Apple Dumpling run in Elroy coming up.

• pkar Pro 66 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011

Sunday marked one year since I descided to get more active and started walking a 1 mile loop in my neighborhood. I found this neat CardioTrainer ap. for my Droid cell phone that tracks my route and shows the distance and the time I walk or run. There are a few other stats, but when I started this was all I needed to motivate me. The results are posted on my Facebook page. One of my friends saw those times and convenced me I should enter a 5K run/walk where I placed third in the Women's over 70 group. Well that lit my competitive spirit, and in this year I've completed four 5K events - on each one I've improved my own time. I am so pleased with how far I've come in the year. I think I finally figured out how the members get that record posted aftr their name. I've put my stats into my profile, and if I've done it correctly you will see it at the end of my message.

Sunday's race was from a point jutting out into San Francisco Bay. We started out past a small hill and then along a paved bayside trail. Due to some knee problems earlier this year, I've been advised not to run. I challenged myself on this run not to even cheat a little - I entended to powerwalk the whole route. (I've done a little running on each of the other events.) My friend Anne does a little running mixed with walking. I hoped to be able to end up closer to her times on this event. I have discovered that at the half way point - if I stop and rest until my breathing is back to normal, I can make up for the lost time with the renewed energy. But I wasn't prepared for the water stations to have been set up differently than prvious races. Instead of one water stop at the half way spot, they were giving out water at one mile, no water at the half way, and water at the two mile. I didn't stop at the first station and was surprised when I got to the halfway turn-around to find no water or even a wide place in the trail to get off and rest. By the time I got to the two mile station, I was really fatigued (just a quarter of a mile further on is a LONG way when you are planning to need a rest sooner.)  They were giving out some kind of energy drink, but I didn't notice that it refueled me all that much. Then I got to this little pimple of a hill that we ran around on the way out - Well, it was steep. My low gear was burned out, my clutch was slipping and smoking, and I just barely made it to the top. It was less than a quarter of a mile to the finish, but steep down hill is not my game, so there goes my attempt to close the gap on Anne. But, I did finish and all told made remarkable time. Anne came in second and I came in third in the Women's Over 70 Group. As there are so few in this category, our main joy is in doing it.

Phyllis

PS: The Signature that I fixed up with my results didn't post. Maybe one of the list can explain how I get it added.

Phyllis - 87

San Jose CA

Aug 18, 2010 Started walking/running In my Neighborhood, SJ CA 1 mi 26:08 min

My First Race

Nov 14,2010 Habitat for Humanity, Stanford, Ca 5K 56:08 min 3rd Women’s 70+

2012 Events:

1/1/12 New Years Runfor Healthy World Palo Alto 5K 46:33

1/28/12 Coyote Hills, Fremont CA 5K 52:59

3/3/12 Helyer Park, San Jose 5K 46:47

3/10/12 Juana Run Palo alto 8K 1:12:22

3/11/12 Calif. Senior Games Palo Alto Race Walk 5K 44:56 Qualified in my age group for Nationals in 2013

3/17/12 Go Green St Patricks Day Run 5K 31:27 Actual distance run: 2.22 miles

• chickadeedee Amateur 20 posts since
    Jun 23, 2011

Phyllis,  Good for you, Girl!  You can add your times to your signature. go to "My Active" (your profile page.  on the left side of the page, click on edit, then at the bottom of the page add your times to community signiture (make sure you click "show signature". )   I thought that I would start doing better in races being over 50, but found, to my delight, that people are healthy and strong well past my age!

Started running March 2011

Run For Beer- Newmarket,NH 6/5/11 5K.... ....................31.28

Friends on the 4th- Portmouth (Pease) ,NH 7/4/11 5K.... 29.45

Thunder Chicken- Portsmouth, NH 8/4/11 5K................. 30.04

CHAD Super Hero Run, Dartmouth, NH 8/28/11.............. 28.05

Seaside 4 miler, Kittery, ME 9/18/11............................. 33.25

GreatBay 5 K, Stratham, NH 10/29/11........................... 25.46

Pickle Run 5K, Tybee Island GA 22/27/11...................... 28.36 (Beach Run)

New year 1st run, Lowel, MA 1/1/12............................... 25.44 (PR)

Cabin Fever 5K, Milford, NH 1/14/12................................ 26.56 (1st in my Division)

Frosty Knuckle 5.5 K, Salsbury, MA 2/12/12....................31.46 (beach run)

Feb 15, 2009

Congrats Phyllis on your 5K!!!!  Loved your colorful description of your run, from beginning to end!!  I'm 57 and sometimes think I'm expecting too much of my body and then I read about someone like you and what you're accomplishing and it gives me motivation!

Completed:

• Pinoy1 Amateur 14 posts since
    Jun 4, 2008

If it's a Half Marathon, it's doable. You should at least run an LSD of 10 miles three weeks before the Baltimore event.

Been training for my 2nd Full Marathon since June 13. I don't have problem running 13 miles but beyond it, I been struggling to accomplish my training schedules.

Last Sunday, I  ran 17 miles and scheduled to run 19 miles this Sunday. Target LSD is 23 miles, three weeks before October 9. Goal is to finish the race without bonking. 

Personal Record @ Age 69

5K - 25:24

5M - 42:19

10K - 53:47

Half Marathon -1:57:43

Full Marathon - 4:42:49 @ age 68

The Journey:

1. 10/09/2011 - Long Beach Marathon ........ 4:48:00

2. 11/06/2011 - Santa Clarita Marathon ....... 5:07:06

3. 12/04/2011 - California International ........ 4:57:22

4. 01/05/2012 - Surf City Marathon ............. 5:11:57

5. 03/18/2012 - LA Marathon ..................... 5:02:10

6. 05/06/2012 - OC Marathon .................... 5:14:07

7. 06/03/2012 - Ojai to Ocean Marathon ......5:05:40

8. 07/29/2012 - San Francisco Marathon

• KIRK_T Legend 279 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010

Pinoy1 wrote:

If it's a Half Marathon, it's doable. You should at least run an LSD of 10 miles three weeks before the Baltimore event.

Been training for my 2nd Full Marathon since June 13. I don't have problem running 13 miles but beyond it, I been struggling to accomplish my training schedules.

Last Sunday, I  ran 17 miles and scheduled to run 19 miles this Sunday. Target LSD is 23 miles, three weeks before October 9. Goal is to finish the race without bonking. 

Sounds like your training is going well. I have my first full on Oct 9 also.

Today was a great midweek run, 5 miles in the 90* heat that just hit Chicago. The good news is it's cooling off and should be good temps the rest of the week.

Tomorrow is an easy 5 then another long one Saturday.

Kirk: Started running again at 50.

2010: 4-5K 1-3.5 mile 2-Half Marathon

2011: 3-5K 1-3.5 mile 1-8K 1-10 mile 16-Half Marathon 1-Marathon

Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon 01/15/2012 3:28:33 PR & BQ

F^3 Lake Half Marathon 01/28/2012 1:48:34

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 03/25 43:29

Chi Town Half 4/01 1:57

Illinois Marathon 4/28 3:56

Wisconsin Marathon 5/05 3:56

Lake Geneva Marathon 5/12 3:56

Rockford Marathon 5/20 4:08

Soldier Field 10 Mile 5/26 1:31

Run for the Zoo 5K 6/03 19:57 PR

13.1 Chicago 6/09 1:50

North Shore Half 6/10 1:46

Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 7/22

Chicago Half 9/09

Fox Valley Marathon 9/16

Chicago Marathon 10/07

• jgarofalo54 Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 24, 2011

Hi,

I have run a couple 5k's and a 3k. My goal is to run several times a week but often don't.  My biggest problem is myself. My mind thinks about everything; the acorns I run on, the pebbles I run on in the street, how tired I am, if I can make it to the next block, how hot I am etc. I need to figure out a way to block all that out and focus on something else. Any suggestions? Thanks:)

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Hi everyone. Good to see some familar "faces" that haven't been around in a while.

I startd physical therapy for heel pain....some calcification, tight achilles and muscles, etc. Hopefully thist will get the problem taken care of SOON!  At least he oked me to run, so I"m a happy camper. Gearing up to start my half marathon training..... Disney January 2012....here I come!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

jg, some ppl like to run to music to get the other voices out of your head.  Another thing that works for me is trying to follow the Chi Running method and have a "focus" or two for each run.  Try to concentrate on one thing, ie. posture for a minute at a time, then focus on some other thing,, ie. mid foot strike, and alternate focuses.  Another trick that I find helpful is to count my strides or my breathes.  Think on something positive or totally off the wall to get the negatives out of your mind.  Good luck and happy running.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• KIRK_T Legend 279 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010

I was going to suggest the same, focus on your running form.

Kirk: Started running again at 50.

2010: 4-5K 1-3.5 mile 2-Half Marathon

2011: 3-5K 1-3.5 mile 1-8K 1-10 mile 16-Half Marathon 1-Marathon

Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon 01/15/2012 3:28:33 PR & BQ

F^3 Lake Half Marathon 01/28/2012 1:48:34

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 03/25 43:29

Chi Town Half 4/01 1:57

Illinois Marathon 4/28 3:56

Wisconsin Marathon 5/05 3:56

Lake Geneva Marathon 5/12 3:56

Rockford Marathon 5/20 4:08

Soldier Field 10 Mile 5/26 1:31

Run for the Zoo 5K 6/03 19:57 PR

13.1 Chicago 6/09 1:50

North Shore Half 6/10 1:46

Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 7/22

Chicago Half 9/09

Fox Valley Marathon 9/16

Chicago Marathon 10/07

• perseuspowers Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 10, 2011

yes, this sometimes happens to me as well. when i first start my run, i am psyched to be out in the open air and feeling the movement of my legs and the air entering my lungs, breathing deeply and feeling very grateful for having the ability to run - to be heathy. Then I hit the 3rd or 4th mile and i start to - just like you jg - think about the next hill or my legs aching, etc. I work in science so for me, focusing on the next experiment I am planning, or some home renovation project I'm planning - even down to how I will construct the framing, always takes me away from the moment, from the ache, and I find myself having gone the distance without being too aware of the struggle. It seems to be true that you attract what you focus on and if that focus is about how painful it is, how hard etc., these thoughts seem to multiply and that can become a negative spiral. Of course, there is always the thought stream of running on a beach along the beautiful pacific coast, where I hope to relocate on of these days!

Feb 15, 2009

jgarafalo54, I run with music and I hate to be without it tho the other day my MP3 player quit about 3 minutes into my run...I found my mind just thinking about lots of different things and then I ended up counting steps automatically without even thinking about it...normally I love to have my music going and lately I've been listening to more relaxing type of music and trying to use my runs as sort of a meditation session too...a little Andrea Bocelli...which would drive the hubby nuts because he likes to listen to hard rock head banger stuff when he runs...I also run in a rural area in a big field and down a rural road so I don't have to worry about traffic so be careful if you're listening to music and dealing with passing cars. I also like to do at least 3 runs a week and it helps me to have it written on my calendar and to keep a running log as a little motivation, you might try that...Best wishes!

Completed:

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...