Skip navigation

1185 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2011 7:47 PM by ScrappinMama RSS
ScrappinMama Amateur 16 posts since
Feb 5, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 17, 2011 6:59 PM

blue green algae = duathlon.  Advice?

The water for this Saturday's sprint tri has blue green algae.  Because of it, they will have the tri as well as a duathlon option.  I did a half in April and 4 previous sprint tris but never a duathlon.

I get hives from scented laundry soap/softeners, so I'm thinking I should do the duathlon.  The duathlon will be 2 mi run, 10 mi bike, 3 mi run.

Will my body be prepared for those distances if I've been training for a swim, bike and run?

Thursday is my last training day.  The plan was to get in the pool, but should I be running then biking?  Or doing something else?  If so, what and for how long?

What else should I be prepared for physically and/or mentally?

Thanks.

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    1. Aug 18, 2011 9:34 AM (in response to ScrappinMama)
    Re: blue green algae = duathlon. Advice?

Scrappin:

How thick is the algae? It can be a bit "icky" to swim in with it clinging to your hands, feet and googles but it isn't harmful. I would think you would know if your are allergic. You can always wait a few seconds and swim behind those breaking through the algae mats. You should be fine if you decide on the duathlon if you have been consistently training with 3-5 mile runs. The first run is usually faster but watch your pace. Biking off the run is a lot easier than running off the bike. If you have doing bricks you will have a good feel for the second run. On a Thursday before a Saturday race (assuming the duathlon), you should do a light run and bike (in either order but you may want to see how it feels to bike after the run) just to stretch the legs in both. Don't go too hard for very long although a couple of hard intervals are ok.

Good luck and have fun. You'll do great!

BT

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Aug 22, 2011 1:03 PM (in response to ScrappinMama)
    Re: blue green algae = duathlon. Advice?

how'd it go?

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points