Skip navigation

2408 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2011 4:58 PM by thefirecat RSS
HORNETDRIVER Amateur 39 posts since
Apr 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 24, 2011 9:00 AM

My Humblest Apologies...

When last we spoke a couple of years ago, I was in a very dark injury time and I was a bit abrupt with a few on this board.  I went on to finish the marathon with not my best time and in a lot of pain.  So, real quick, here's what happened:

I have been running distance since I was 11, now for over 35 years, all of which were in some form of pain.  I broke down and went to a Podiatrist who was also a marathoner, and she made me some custom orthotics... which, definitely, did not work.  I suffered bi-lateral shin splints that degraded into even worse issues.  I posted that here and someone made a suggestion about what it could be and how to handle it and I was a bit terse in my comment.  Again, sorry to whomever that was.  (deep bow asking for forgiveness)

So, on January first, in total desperation, I took off my shoes.  I've been running barefoot ever since with ZERO pain!  It's been miraculous for me and I couldn't be happier.  Oh sure, I had some growing pain of blisters and sore tendons and muscles, but my flat feet now have an arch... I'm running full training distances with pure bare feet and NO issues... Running is fun again!

I look forward to yet another MCM this year.  I'll be the one with bare feet... And a kilt.

Cheers!

HORNETDIVER

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,368 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Aug 24, 2011 9:55 AM (in response to HORNETDRIVER)
    Re: My Humblest Apologies...

Wow! Glad you found something that works for you.  I've done some barefoot running and I appreciate the benefits.  A lot of runners have found barefoot running really works for them.  Personally, I still prefer some kind of shoes for most of my running (Kinvaras are my favorite right now).  I'll look for you at MCM, though you'll probably be in front of me.

Len

Len

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    2. Aug 25, 2011 10:32 AM (in response to HORNETDRIVER)

Welcome back, Hornetdriver!  I vaguely remember that thread from way back, though I don't think I was directly involved.  I'm sure your post now is much appreciated and I'd bet there are no linering hard feelings.

Great to hear that barefootin' it has helped!  It's so much more fun running injury free!

Good luck at MCM!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    3. Aug 25, 2011 12:03 PM (in response to MCM Ron)

Welcome back, I guess we've all been in some dark places at times.  Glad you're doing well running barefoot.  I'm slowly recouping from a knee injury and trying to run a half in another month.  Hopefully I get there.

Good luck at the MCM.

• FormerBAM We're Not Worthy 4,378 posts since
    Aug 21, 2007
    4. Aug 25, 2011 3:21 PM (in response to HORNETDRIVER)

Hmm, I don't remember the post, which is probably good because I have a real problem with forgiving and forgetting ;-)

Glad barefoot is working for you.  I run short distances bare, and sometimes in Vibram Five Fingers, would like to build up to longer distances but since I only run once or twice a week lately, it's hard to fit it in.  Good luck!

• Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    5. Aug 25, 2011 10:57 PM (in response to HORNETDRIVER)

HORNETDRIVER wrote:

When last we spoke a couple of years ago, I was in a very dark injury time and I was a bit abrupt with a few on this board.  I went on to finish the marathon with not my best time and in a lot of pain.  So, real quick, here's what happened:

Dude forgiven but I will keep the memory of the post you refer to deep in the back of my mind.  As an Marine there was a ton wrong with the replies you had and really they were inexcusable but if you put out a hand and apologize then so be it.

Are you raising funds for the Semper Fi Injured Marines Fund once again?  If so you need to put a link to the fundraising page on here.

Not much more to say but if you slip to a dark place again then be ready to get a swift kick in the *** in return if I am around.

Jimmy

This place is like home!!!!

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Aug 26, 2011 5:41 PM (in response to HORNETDRIVER)

It takes a special kind of guts to walk back into a perceived or potential hostile territory to apologise and ask for forgiveness. Kudos for that.

DELIGHTED to hear that your pain is possibly part of the past. Lots of people seem to have luck with barefoot or minimalism, depending on their issues and mechanics. Personally, I'm still afraid to try it (you missed the whole lower back catastrophe I suffered this past winter) because of compression and load-bearing issues, blah blah blah (all right, all you regulars, no comments about load-bearing and arse-girth, that's not what I meant!) It's been a long and frustrating trip back. I understand terseness and long-term pain much differently now than I did last time you were here.

So.....hi. Thanks for checking in. Appreciate that.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    7. Aug 29, 2011 8:33 AM (in response to HORNETDRIVER)

Thanks, good luck at MCM!  I will be looking for a barefoot runner in a kilt.  Last year I ran most of the MCM with William Wallace in a kilt.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,368 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    9. Aug 29, 2011 11:45 AM (in response to HORNETDRIVER)

Hornetdriver - no problem with the fund raising link on your signature.

Your friendly local moderator

Len

Len

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Aug 29, 2011 4:58 PM (in response to HORNETDRIVER)

As your cranky local moderator, I don't have a problem with it either.

Yeah, sadly my lower back problem stems from being related to my mother before me, and her mother before her. Don't think I can change THAT by ditching my shoes. And if I had, why the hell didn't someone tell me that while I was in high school??

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...