Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1538 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2011 8:25 AM by tigershark1981 RSS
tigershark1981 Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 24, 2011 1:28 PM

Pain in the ball of my foot

Greetings,

I am new to this forum, have been a competative runner for about 8 yrs now, and have in the past two years,developed some intense pain in my left foot. This was diagnosed as Morton's neuroma between my 2nd and 3rd metatarsals. I had surgery....after the NSIAD/Cortisone treatments, to excise this. Strange thing was, my last visit prior to the surgery, I had informed my Ortho that I felt similar pain between 3rd and 4th meta's, in the same location of my foot - ball joint area. I have healed from last years surgery, and been able to do minimal running and bike riding, but not ever be really able to "hammer down" due to continued "feels like a stone in the base of my 3rd meta joint" pain. I have tentatively scheduled to have a second MN removed from the opposite side of my 3rd digit......but there is this question still floating around my head, about whether it is Metatarsalgia(SP?).

Is there any way to determine MN from Metatarsalgia? I really hate to face the fact that I could potentially end up losing my toe, due to last nerve being attached to artery, and potentially losing blood supply to that toe. On the flip side, i don't want to give up an active lifestyle either, and be stuck with just a painful walk.

All thoughts and suggestions and professional advice appreciated.

Thanks!

TigerShark81

TigerShark81

• Damien Howell Legend 312 posts since
    Feb 27, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Aug 24, 2011 4:04 PM (in response to tigershark1981)
    Re: Pain in the ball of my foot

In your discussion about prior treatment you did not mention shoe and shoe insert therapy (orthotics and pads).  If you have not tried reversible therapy of shoe therapy and shoe insert therapy you should do so before you let some one do non-reversible therapy (surgery).  In my experience pain in the forefoot, either neuroma pain or metatarsalgia pain is related to wearing in correct shoe size.  Shoes that are too small or shoes that are too loose can stress the forefoot.  If there was stress between the metatarsal bones which irritate the nerve, cutting the nerve out does not address the reason why there is excess stress between the metatarsal bones.  Look for someone who has knowledge about foot issues and shoe wear, go to Find a PT.  Take a look at Who you going to call - Choosing a Healthcare Professional.  My friend the surgeon says "going to a surgeon is like a chicken going to see Colonel Sanders.

Damien Howell PT, DPT, OCS - www.damienhowellpt.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points