Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1562 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2011 1:35 PM by dksv01
Carlos1980 Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 25, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 25, 2011 11:21 AM

New runner in pain!

Hi, first time on here so take it easy with me. I started running around the neighborhood a few months ago to lose some weight and to get healthy. I am 30 years old and have always been able to run with no problems. I have been running ok, even lost 15 pounds, but now I get this pain in my inner legs. The pain is in the inner side of both legs from the bottom of the calf to around the ankle area, sometimes even lower into the foot. I do stretch before I run and I have also bought new shoes, problem still there. Everyday is different, sometimes the pain starts as soon as i start running, then its less once I get going, then is comes back towards the end of the run. I usually try to run between 3-4 miles a day. I take Wednesdays off and some weekends, depending on what's going on. Sometimes the pain is so bad that I have to stop running, I walk the rest of the way but the pain goes almost away when i walk. One time I could not even walk after I ran, I was on the floor, I was thinking something had torn, but then it went away. it almost feels like something is stretching and causing the pain. I really apreciate any help ya;ll can give me. I want to keep running, but not with this pain.

Thanks

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    1. Aug 25, 2011 11:48 AM (in response to Carlos1980)
    Re: New runner in pain!

There are times that I get an ache just under and behind my ankle bone on the inside of my foot.  Sometimes it would go up the inside of my legs too.

For me, I added new stretches, increased my stretching time before and after my runs, and instead of running every day I started running every other day.  I still get that ache once in a while, but it's gone from once or twice a week to once a month, maybe.

Cheers.

Snerb

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    2. Aug 25, 2011 1:17 PM (in response to Carlos1980)

Stretching BEFORE you run might actually be a bad idea.  I have read a lot lately that stretching should be done after a warm-up. So you could try walking briskly for 5 minutes, then stretch a bit, then start your run.

If that doesn't help do you have health insurance that includes physical therapy?  A PT would  probably be a good person to ask about this.  If it's some sort of  tightness they can give you stretches, or maybe they will have a better  idea what's causing it.  Have you tried changing up your stride to see  if that does anything?

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• raf66 Expert 49 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    3. Aug 26, 2011 6:31 AM (in response to Carlos1980)

I've also heard/read that stretching cold muscles is not a great idea, and that it's best to stretch either after a warm up or after your run.  It doesn't sound like stretching is necessarily your problem, though, as you indicated that you had run in the past without incident.  I'm assuming you were stretching before your runs then, too. 

You might want to scale back a bit on your mileage and/or speed.  You state that you've lost 15 lbs. but you don't give you height/weight.  If you're a bit overweight that may be a contributing factor. Your lower body sustains a lot of force when you run, so it's actually pretty surprising that we don't have more aches/pains/injuries than we do.  You may also have some issues with your running form.  This is pretty common for us "amateurs" as we don't have a team of docs analyzing our gait and working with us to imporve our form/posture/etc.  I know for me, the first mile or two I think my running form is pretty adequate but later in my run, when oxygen deprivation and muscle/energy depletion are much higher, I am pretty sure my limbs and appendages are flailing all over God's Green Earth. 

Take it easy for a few days and just walk your normal route.  Don't power-walk but walk at a pretty normal clip.  Get the long muscles stretching and working a bit without hitting them with the normal force of running.  See if the pain starts to subside.  Then work your way back up to a slow jog for a portion of your route.  Then slowly jog the entire route.  Analyze what you're feeling during each transition to see if you can isolate when/why the pain occurs.  If the pain remains, go see your doc.

• growlerius Pro 74 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009
    5. Aug 26, 2011 8:22 AM (in response to Carlos1980)

I had a nearly-identical problem that prohibited me from running for years, and I always assumed it was an ankle problem.  This summer I had a breakthrough when I figured out it was a combination of Achilles tendinitis and medial shin splints.  I repeated a couple days on my training program, and awhile later took a full week off, then started stretching my Achilles and quads *after* running. It hasn't bothered me since.  Granted, I'm not a doctor, just my personal experience.

• dksv01 Amateur 25 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    6. Sep 12, 2011 1:35 PM (in response to Carlos1980)
    New runner in pain!

Try getting your running mechanics analyzed; this is free - http://blog.fitgeeksports.com/content/online-gait-analysis

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points