Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

88217 Views 754 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2011 2:40 PM by runlindy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 Previous Next
  • kyesang Amateur 4 posts since
    Jun 9, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    720. Aug 26, 2011 8:01 PM (in response to Trimom11)
    Re: July 4th Start Couch to 5K

I would like to join you folks!  I may be a couple weeks delayed though  -- gradually moving to the apartment upstairs, a little each day, and  it's wearing me out.  We'll see how it goes.  The running shoes have  been purchased. That's a step!  Thanks for starting this group.

visit me in: cs5 tutorials

• Anjannda Amateur 25 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011
    721. Aug 28, 2011 7:49 PM (in response to Trimom11)

Hello everyone. I completed w8d1 this morning. I walked a couple of times but I'm just happy I got out there and finished. Have a great week!!!

• MoonlightCellist Amateur 39 posts since
    May 4, 2011
    722. Aug 30, 2011 6:45 AM (in response to Trimom11)

I didn't enjoy & was not able to do 25 minute runs.  So I did intervals.  Running for 3 minutes with a 1 minute recovery for 24 minutes.  I enjoyed it, was able to run at higher speeds and increased my mileage!  I think I'm going to stick with this as I was able to run 3 miles~which is my goal for my 5K in October.

• Jaamethyst Expert 50 posts since
    Jul 7, 2011
    723. Sep 2, 2011 6:18 PM (in response to MoonlightCellist)

Welcome, Kyesang!!!!! Happy to have you!!!

Moonlight C, I enjoy intervals too. It gets me up easier knowing that I've made this mine. I've made this something that I actually want to do.

Today I did 3 miles in 38.21!!! I slowed down a bit for a mile after that, but did 4 miles in 54.40. I was really happy about that. I'm trying to increase my speed and distance. Fortunately, I was able to walk/run for an hour today. It felt great!

Happy running, everyone!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

• runlindy Expert 49 posts since
    Jul 2, 2011
    724. Sep 3, 2011 5:59 AM (in response to Jaamethyst)

Hi Everybody,

I tried to post the other day but the site was under maintenance so my posted didn't go thru.

I finished W9D2 the other day. I was like OMG!!! We are almost through this program! I really liked it as it gave me set goals so I'm going to just have to set them for myself. Plus I'm joining he "Learn to run program here in my town which I'm excited about. Even though I've been doing this for 9 plus weeks I'm no where near being great at it. I think it will be great to have a coach to work with & to meet toher runners in my town who are also beginners and to do a 5K with people I have met at the end of the program. I just dont feel ready yet.

I was itching to go outside as it gets boring on the elipitical.I tried to push myself to run for loner times but I just can't do it outside so I too did he intervals.. I'm also going to continue to do the intervals until I feel I can run for longer. I noticed other runners seem to do the same. My lungs were burning!

Does anybody know if you can irrated your lungs by breathing heavy because it still hurts/burns today when I take a deep breath. I may give myself another rest day to see if it goes away.

Also, has anybody lost weight? I have not lost a single pound!!!! My legs are getting muscular instead of flabby...I was hoping for thinner thighs but muscles not bad. I have not changed my eating habits by eating more & eat pretty healthy so I don't get it. In fact my scale says I gain a couple of pounds!! I'm so frustrated with that. I mean I'm burning calories that otherwise I'd be on the computer or watch TV & not burning. I will not give up though. I'm going to go to Jenny Craig today to join...20lbs for $20 (plus cost of food) but my coworker lost 30lbs with them & said she was never hungry & the food was pretty good. I figure if I can drop 10-15lbs & continue running hopefully I can maintain the weight loss.

Have a great week everybody!!

• Jaamethyst Expert 50 posts since
    Jul 7, 2011
    725. Sep 3, 2011 8:15 AM (in response to runlindy)

Runlindy, that's awesome that you're joining a group. I'm looking for one as well. Don't get discouraged about weight loss. Have you been measuring yourself? I learned a lot about how huge my portions were. I'm trying to keep my calorie intake about 1400-1500 for me, and I weigh 179 and am 5'8''. May I recommend what I"ve been doing? I dropped 20 lbs since July 5th by working diligently at it on calorieking.com. I actually paid the $54.00 (it's for an entire year), and I'm so glad that I did. It is not only a calorie/exercise counter, but so much more. The community and support piece is the best I've ever seen. I don't think that I would have lost weight NOR kept up running w/out it. There are so many supportive people who understand and help. I also love the "university" piece of calorie king. The program takes you through weight loss slowly by teaching you to change your lifestyle for the better. I honestly can say that I feel healthier now than I've ever been (and I even was a skinny vegan when I was younger!). I also think that a program like jenny or ww, or whatever isn't long-term. That's just my two cents, though, and everyone is different. You have to do whatever works for you! Good luck to you with whatever you choose! If you want more info, just let me know.

Happy running everyone!!!

• Dobrobuck Pro 151 posts since
    Apr 17, 2011
    726. Sep 3, 2011 8:57 AM (in response to Trimom11)

Haven't posted here for a while but still check in once in awhile. My wife is now doing 2.5 mile intervals-1:00runs/w1:30 walks-total time about 30min. Looks like she will sign up for a 5K next spring that I'll do with her then run a half the next day. Its been fun to watch her improve and be a part of it. I think she'll be able to run the whole 5K by then. Did my first 13.38 mile run last Sat :-) Never would've thought it possible a year ago. Good running this weekend to all!!!

4/30/11 IL Marathon 10K 57:43

5/14/11 Kirby Derby 10K 57:49 3rd place in div

7/4/11 Freedom 5K 28:59

Lost 80lbs since 6/17/10 starting wt 280lbs

Joined Second Wind Running Club 9/2011

8/27/11 13.38mi 2:32

9/17/11 13.45mi 2:27

Habitat for Humanity 5K 12/31/11 26:42 PR

4/28/12 IL Marathon 1st 1/2 2:10:38

Cycled 1600 mi summer of 2012

Cycled Hilly Hundred 10/25/12

Upcoming races

April 2013 1st full marathon..

Jul 12, 2011
    727. Sep 3, 2011 10:00 AM (in response to Trimom11)

Hello everyone!! I'm happy the site is up and running again. I completed w8d2 and w8d3 walked a couple of minutes because of stitching but picked it back up when I caught my breath. I've lost 6 lbs but more inches. My clothes are loose and I feel amazing.

• Benjiesan Pro 109 posts since
    Jun 28, 2010
    728. Sep 3, 2011 7:02 PM (in response to Trimom11)

Yeah!!! it's up and running ..Missed blogging..so glad to see everyone's progress and then some!  GOOD GOING ALL!

Well I too am doing intervals! can't seem to do more than 6 minutes at a time, but that's ok...I'll get there eventually..I prefer running outside it really is different than running on a treadmill or eliptical...(I wll do that when it too hot or too late, but I feel the machines force you, where outside it is ALL you)

I too have been on Jenny Craig..I am using a body bot which measures every little move I do..while it took some getting use to, it use it religiously..What I found out is that even when you think you've done enough exercise, you need to do a good 30 minutes of continuous vigorous cardio to warrant a burn...it allows you to measure calories burned,calories consumed (I try real hard to stay at 1200) and at the end of the day, I try to have a minimum of 700 calories deficit, which is weight loss..I am down to 187 from 205..Better yet..the exercise has made me loose a good 10 inches over all.  It is portion control and the right foods..lots of salads, veggies, fruit.  3 meals, 3 snacks...I can tell you that at times I am full,but must force myself to eat so that I loose..crazy but true.

What I like about Jenny Craig is their food is actually very good, and you can learn to "eat at home" very quickly (within a month i'd say)...The down side is that it can be expensive (about the same as eating at a fast food place 3x a day-but healthier).  I love their breakfasts and snacks!..(hello..key lime pie? Chocolate cake?)...Right now I'm about to go back on because I miss my French toast and pancakes with turkey sausage...Since I work 7:30 to 4:30..i take my Breakfast, Lunch and snacks..Where I work there is nothing but deli shops (very very expensive) and if I want fast food I have to drive out..not worth it.  So JC works for me..(There is another lady doing Nutrisystems longer than I have and there has been no change!  Their food is awful!!!)

Well we did our "September" 5K this morning!..Great, flat, fast course..at Great Park in Irvine...I shaved another minute off my time!  Ran a 13:53 min/mile pace, with over all finish time of 43.10!

It was encouraging to talk to other runners who are starting out and those that a not so new...It just take practice practice practice...crazy but who knew I'd like this slogging thing???

HAPPY RUNNING!

"...Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles,

they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint" Isa 40.31

Mary Castle 21 Annual 5K Walk/run (Anaheim, CA) 7/3/2011 47.52

Mary Castle 22nd Annual 5K walk/run (Anaheim, CA) 7/4/2011 47.44

Guy Ponce 5K, at the big "A" (Anaheim, CA) 8/20/11 43.48 (Average pace 20.06)

6th Annual Kevin Cook Spirit Run 5K (Irvine CA) 9/3/11 42.10 (Average Pace 14:00)

Spooktacular 5K (Whittier, CA) 10/29/11 46.45 (Average pace 14.00) (this was a bit of an incline run but so fun!)

Plymouth Rock NRun - 5K Turkey Trot (Anaheim, CA) 11/26/11

Holiday 5K Run/Walk (Pomona, CA) 12/10/11

Neverland Twilight 5K (Disneyland-Anaheim, CA) 1/27/12

• heliwoman Amateur 31 posts since
    Jul 3, 2011
    729. Sep 5, 2011 6:43 PM (in response to Benjiesan)

Yeah Benjiisan! 2 5ks down already. Encouragement for the rest of us.  I'm still slogging along.  I think it's a mental block b/c I've been having trouble with the solid runs of 20 minutes or more. Can't do it. The other day I ran 12.5 minutes straight (just past the mile marker) and then I had (or felt like I should) take a walk.  My knees, or maybe upper thighs just get so heavy. Hard to pick up.  So I'm just repeating the week 6 until I can get to the mile marker in 12 mintues or less. A side note: I help with my children's cross country practice (not by running but by encouraging and timing). Anyway at the last meet (in 4 weeks) they always end the season with a coach's run of 1 mile. I would like to do that one in 10 minutes or so (since most of the other coaches are marathoners).

Today's run was a toughie. The weather cooled off significantly over night and so at 7:30 this am it was still in the upper 50's (to put it in perspective on Saturday it was already 78 degrees).  I knew not to overdress but instead dressed for the run at the 2nd mile. Ok.  A little over half way thru and I had to start walking - it was hard to breathe - throat felt like it was burning - felt like stuff was just sitting at the back of my throat. I knew to bring kleenex but this was just yucky. My eyes were watering, my nose was running - see this is why I go early in the am hoping to not see anyone I know.

I was also thinking of joining a local group - 2 towns over they're offering one on Wednesday nights at 6:30.  Best to run in a group at night, right? Hopefully someone has a headlamp

I also have not lost weight but know that is primarily bc my eating has not changed. Or I try to change it but there's always something.  I will check out that website you mention.  Jenny Craig is good but it can be expensive and with the work situation touch and go with the dh right now can't afford it. So I would just be better off not eating.

Ok got to run.  not literally though.

Jul 2, 2011
    730. Sep 6, 2011 4:39 PM (in response to Benjiesan)

Ok this is a test because I just typed a whole lot & nothing posted! Just showed "ERROR"

Jul 2, 2011
    731. Sep 6, 2011 5:04 PM (in response to runlindy)

aaaahhhhh, I just typed my whole story again & It got wiped out again!

Maybe I'm typing too much!

Maybe I'll try tomorrow!

Have a good running week all!

Jun 28, 2010
    732. Sep 6, 2011 7:52 PM (in response to runlindy)

Server being upgraded again..arrrrrgh!

"...Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles,

6th Annual Kevin Cook Spirit Run 5K (Irvine CA) 9/3/11 42.10 (Average Pace 14:00)

Spooktacular 5K (Whittier, CA) 10/29/11 46.45 (Average pace 14.00) (this was a bit of an incline run but so fun!)

Jun 28, 2010
    733. Sep 6, 2011 8:13 PM (in response to Trimom11)

Hey all..it is HOT and HUMID in So Cal today.  I've been up and out of my house since 6:00 am.  My baby was diagnosed with gestational diabetis and she wanted me with her this morning for tests and ultrasound..I was blessed to be able to see our "nugget" with it's hand in its mouth..still in awe of the miracle of birth...Still don't know if a boy or girl, wouldn't let the doc take a look ;-)...Like I told her, this is a blessing in disguise, as it will make you eat healthier and keep you accountable (literally as she must  log all food and take her blood sugar levels)...I loved the nutrition class..I realized "Wow, I have been eating healthy and correctly in the past 4 months"..She gets 2000 calories a day...(I stick to 1200!)

Any way, did not run this am, was going to go the the gym and run treadmill, but as I left my daughter, I got a call from the hospital..mom in law is back in hospital..rehab transferred her back yesterday as the bloodthinners she was one, lowered her hemoglobin so low, she was bleeding..part of the treatment to correct is a blood transfusion, which she was refusing as she had never had one, and she was afraid...she was so upset she had not eaten breakfast or lunch..needless to say,within a 1/2 hour of my arriving, not only did she consent to the transfusion, but was hungry and demanding lunch..I sat there until they hung the first bag and left as they gave her dinner and were about to hand the second bag (which was going to require a new IV)..

So much for the gym..had to come home and let out and feed my managerie of pooches...It is still soooooo hot and humid.but I am going to go get on the treadmill anyway...gotta keep "moving".

Jul 12, 2011
    734. Sep 10, 2011 10:01 PM (in response to Trimom11)

Hello everyone!!  I completed w9d2 this morning. It was great. I  walked 2 minutes during the 30 min run. I'm signing up for my first 5k run in Dec. Thank you for your motivation!!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...