Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

31302 Views 169 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 11:43 AM by huddyrunner Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Previous Next
  • yagerc Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 22, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Aug 22, 2011 3:23 PM (in response to Carla JV)
    Re: Any other beginners over 40?

Hi all,

I'm on my way to 53, and on my way to my first-ever 5K!  Just started training a few weeks ago, and I am striving for an early October run.

Working on breathing and endurance, not speed.... I want to finish a 5K, not "win" a race.

Cindy

• Cindyn50 Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    91. Aug 22, 2011 5:22 PM (in response to yagerc)

Another CINDY here.  I'm in w3D3 of C25K and I can't believe I'm doing this!  I'm 49 and just a newbie at running.  I always thought I hated to run, but this is kind of fun (I said kind of).  Anyway--I have no goal to run a race.  I'm just looking to find out what I can make my body do out there on the pavement.  I'm having a little trouble with creaky knees, but I'm allowing a day in between runs to rest.  I'm following the C25K program, instead of trying to out-think it.  Looking forward to week 4.

Cindy

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    92. Aug 26, 2011 11:37 AM (in response to Cindyn50)

Hi Cindyn50: I am finishing up W3D3 this week as well (tomorrow to be exact!) I hope W4 goes better for me lol. I seem to be struggling with the last 90 sec of running with my shins but I think I know the problem. I need new running shoes and also to work on that area. Good luck on your W4.

Everyone on the east coast have a good and safe weekend!

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• HayAmanda24 Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 8, 2009
    93. Aug 26, 2011 11:44 AM (in response to runningangelinvt)

I wasn't feeling really great until I got to Week 5. Now it's starting to click and I'm excited about the next time I get to run. Tonight I start Week 6. Sunday I'm doing a 5k (If Hurricane Irene doesn't cancel it on me!) I'm going to treat it as a work out and not really as a race. Just want the experience! Definitely stretch REALLY well after/before (and even during) your workout to help with the chins/calves. It's been helping me tremendously. Hang in there!!

• KeachyMama Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 18, 2011
    94. Aug 26, 2011 12:00 PM (in response to HayAmanda24)

Stretching is definitely key, but also try to keep in mind that your training conditions and race conditions will likely be vastly different and thus you'll have different results. I did several training runs prior to last night's 5k, and I did them in 34 or 33 minutes, which was my target for last night. I forgot that I run early in the morning, when it's still cool, when I haven't been beaten down by the pressures of the work day, when I still have energy. Last night was hot, humid, muggy, and I was tired from a long day. My time was 40:37. Needless to say, I was extremely down on myself about that until I was reminded that I'm used to running in the cool morning before I've put in a full day of challenging work. Plus, they extended the course to 3.5 miles. And threw in a couple of really big hills that none of us knew were in that area.

Bottom line is that if you're used to running soon after waking up and before you start the rest of your day, you're going to run differently at the end of the day after running around doing everything else you do all day. And you're going to run differently in cool, dry conditions than you will in hot, muggy conditions. It's just the way it is - so don't expect your typical results from training in different conditions.

Accept that now and you'll avoid the mini mental crisis I had last night.

Happy trails!

KeachyMama

KeachyMama's Runs & "Stuff"...

Hartford Xtreme Scramble #2 (5k), 07.28.2011 - 37:09 (1st race ever!)

Hartford Xtreme Scramble #3 (5k), 08.26.2011 - 40:37 (actually 3.45 miles)

Upcoming tbd

@KeachyMama on Twitter

Dec 7, 2010
    95. Aug 26, 2011 1:16 PM (in response to KeachyMama)

Oh I can definately tell the difference of how I run and the time of day I do it. I tend to go to the gym after work because my gym is on my way home. I have gone out early in the mornings so I do like both times of day. But definately the heat gets to me and I feel icky. I am thinking of adding an extra day of the C25k in my week. Have you guys tried that? Or maybe after starting the new week and add in one of the previous weeks routine?

Kerry

2012 Events:

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Started C25K 12/15/10

• decinrtp Amateur 16 posts since
    May 27, 2011
    96. Aug 26, 2011 5:53 PM (in response to Carla JV)

This is a great thread.  I'll be 43 near the end of October.  At the end of 2009, I decided that I was tired of feeling fat and tired and after some medical issues popped up, I said it's time to do something about this.  I've never been overly active and at the time I had about 90 lbs to lose (a bit less now).  So, I started walking and doing other exercise and got awful pain in my left ankle.  After a trip to the doctor, I ended up having surgery on my achilles last June.  At one point, I thought I might never walk normally again, let alone run.  I've been working hard on my recovery and finally feel like I'm getting back to normal.  In June, I decided that I wanted to run to improve my fitness and cleared it with the doc.  It's really funny, but I can picture myself running in my head.  My high school gym teacher would really be proud of me if she could see me now - she tried to get me to run indoor track in school.

I just completed W4D3 this morning.  I believe I run slower than I walk and my walking isn't all that fast but it keeps me moving. One of my knees bothers me but I know I have arthritis in it and I'm working on building core muscles to help it out.  The ankle pain is getting better everyday!  I'm going to do a 5k in September and then a 10k (gulp!) in early November.

Hey, isn't 40 the new 20?  Keep on going everyone!

NHL All-STAR 5k, Raleigh, NC, 1/2011 - ~60 min.

Run the Quay 5k, Fuquay-Varina, NC, 6/4/11 - 58:18

Run with Heart 5k, Morrisville, NC, 8/13/11 - 53:14

18th Annual Women's Distance Festival 5k, Raleigh, NC, 9/24/11 - 53:32

Old Reliable Run 10k, Raleigh, NC, 11/6/11 - 149:09

• AlisaCW Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 21, 2011
    97. Aug 26, 2011 7:21 PM (in response to decinrtp)

Way to Carla!  Very inspiring!

~Alisa~

• kyesang Amateur 4 posts since
    Jun 9, 2011
    98. Aug 26, 2011 8:05 PM (in response to Carla JV)

You're doing great!!  I hope to one day get to the 25 minute mark.  I  have enough trouble just running for 5 minutes straight.  Keep going!!

Visit me in: Photoshop cs5 tutorials

• SMOOTHDANCER1 Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    99. Aug 27, 2011 5:03 PM (in response to Carla JV)

It is so great to hear you are all doing so well.

Right now I am so disappointed words cant describe...

I made my way to week 4 before my first injury... My knee after my week 4 run just started to hurt so much so

that I could hardly stand on it.... So I followed the advise, ice and rest. After about a week I thought I am good to go.

I went to a running store prior to starting so I knew it was not the running shoes.

Today I decide it has been a week, knee feels normal again so I will drop down to week 3... Now both of my ankles are so stressed each step hurts.

I am like what the hell??? I am also a competitve ballroom dancer of 15 years and my ankle strength is quite strong and developed compared to a new runner....

Although I have always been physically active I found running to be something I loved beyond any other physically activity I have ever done.

To now have these problems is such a let down just when I found a activity that I almost from day one fell in love with.

I am not sure what I am going to do next... For the new runners, like myself, 50ish, has anyone else expereinced what I am up against??

• perseuspowers Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 10, 2011
    100. Aug 27, 2011 7:16 PM (in response to SMOOTHDANCER1)

SMOOTH, I had this most definitely when I first started to run. I hadn't ever been a runner until 2003 and just started slowly then, less than a mile, and my knees and ankles hurt. I remember also being discouraged and frustrated. I went out and purchased a knee brace and backed off on the running a bit and just kept trying. I ran outside on the pavement and read that this is brutal to the joints, so I switched to running on a treadmill at the gym for a while. There is just no comparison to being out in nature and in the open air so I went back to running outside and I just kept trying. I also made a point to get really good shoes, for me these are Brooks, and got the right fit too. I've been running now for years without pain in my knees and I believe it's because the body and joints become accustomed to the running. I've done some reading and know a bit about physiology and think that when the body experiences stressors, it will build up resistance and become acclimated to the activities. I think that you can do it, just don't over-do it, ease into it slowly and try running a bit, and then walking for a bit. Over time, I believe your discomfort will lessen once your body gets used to the practice. Keep us updated on your progress!

• BenjaminMiramontes Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 19, 2011
    101. Aug 27, 2011 8:50 PM (in response to SMOOTHDANCER1)

Smoothdancer1,

I had a similar problem earlier this year.  Except in my case, my knee began to hurt and I ignored it and continued to run.  That cost me 3 weeks of training.  After I returned to running, even though the knee didn't hurt, I expected it to.  Or I was afraid it would.  Either way, compensating for the knee caused me to change my form and caused hip and ankle pain.  Once I realized what I was doing, I was able to trust the knee and run normally.  Shortly after the ankle and hip pains vanished.

You handled it just right so far.  Just rest until the ankle pains clear up and ease back into running.  I'm 56, by the way.

Ben

• PlumeriaTattoo Amateur 27 posts since
    Aug 26, 2011
    102. Aug 28, 2011 8:44 AM (in response to Carla JV)

This is a very motivational thread!  I was sort of a  runner when I was 39 (gearing up for a trip to Hawaii and the Big 4-0!)   After that carrot was no longer dangling in front of me, I slacked off  all the good habits I had developed.  Fast forward to 7 years later, and  I am 35 lbs heavier than my lowest weight (ouch...that hurt to type  that), and not feeling good about it.  My clothes don't fit right, or at all, and I am uncomfortable with how the fat feels and looks on my 5'5" frame.

So....I started C25K this past week.  I've gone out twice so far, and I am amazed at how out of shape I actually am.  Running 60 seconds is quite a challange. I need to get used to breathing again.  But...I will go out again and again and will keep pushing on.  I experienced some pain in my right quad yesterday, as well as mild shin pain.  I didn't really stretch  before I ran, which was a stupid newbie slip-up. Never again.  Also ordered some new running shoes -- Ascics Keyano 17 -- that I think will help.

There are 5K Turkey Trots everywhere at Thanksgiving, and while I probably won't participate in one (I am traveling for the holiday), I do want to be able to run 3 miles by then.

Good luck everyone!

Dec 7, 2010
    103. Aug 29, 2011 7:05 AM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)

Hi everyone,

I just finished my W3 days and heading on into W4D1 tomorrow. I did W3D3 on saturday and it felt so good. Stretching prior to running and after really helped. I hope you all had a very wonderful weekend.

Kerry

2012 Events:

2011 Events:

Started C25K 12/15/10

• sandyhatton Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 29, 2011
    104. Aug 29, 2011 9:05 AM (in response to Carla JV)

I am right there with you.  Heard about this plan on the radio this morning.   I am 46 and need to lose about 40 lbs as well!   I am worried about my hip joints.  They ache all the time. 

I wll start day 1 this evening (under the cover of darkness)

Hopefully I can stick with a low fat diet and reduce the weight quickly to reduce the stress on my joints. 

Good Luck. AND DONT GIVE UP!!   Maybe we can keep each other motivated.

Sandy

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...