Skip navigation

17350 Views 106 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2011 8:59 PM by callblue RSS 1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next
NELL_blue Legend 303 posts since
May 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 27, 2011 9:53 AM

What Rule(s) at Little League level would you change if you could dictate it?

So many people have ideas and thoughts on what would make the game better, faster, smarter and of course more fabulous, what are yours? 

Be as specific as you can and dream out loud!!

http://sinistral.chez-alice.fr/umpmask.sm.gif

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• MyTwoSons Community Moderator 224 posts since
    May 30, 2007

Rules I'd Change:  If base runner leaves his base before the pitched ball crosses the plate and the batter hits the ball fair the base runner is out.

If umpire is struck by a batted ball while on the infield grass...He is part of the field and ball is live unless the ball gets stuck in his uniform.

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Not sure if this is relevant, but I would like to see some RIM guidance and perhaps some clarifying rules on delaying tactics.

You have runners who won't get back on their bases when the play is over, and they play cat & mouse with the pitcher, who then does not begin the pitch!  Games take forever when you see that (and I have seen it in Districts!)

Mike CVUA

• Bearblue Pro 66 posts since
    May 30, 2007

I think you just change 7.13 (Leaving Early) to mirror the softball rule.

If runner leaves early, runner is out.

Not always a penalty on runner and offense can gain an advantage by leaving early in some situations.

For example, I had a district game a couple of years back:  R1, 1 out.  R1 leaves early, ball hit to SS toward 2nd.  no chance at first, but should have runner at 2nd.  Safe on a banger. Flag on the ground for leaving early.

Offense went on to put up a crocked number.  Probably no bearing on outcome, but it it didn't feel like an advantage intended by the rules.

May 30, 2007

Add:

-Administrative removal  for safety issues; such as a batter that continues to throw a bat and puts catcher & umpire in jeopardy of injury

Nobody wants to toss a player that just needs more coaching when you know he will also miss the next game and probably quit baseball.

-Unsportsmanlike Conduct supercedes Obstruction: similar to FED's MC/Obs rule.  The size difference between LL players is huge and sometimes a defensive player is in the line (should not be) but can be leveled and the run counts and at best I can have an ejection.

plus, need to be able to kill the play so first runner can't take out catcher and following runners score when I have UC.

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Keep leaving early the way it is.

1) This isn't softball. If you want softball rules play softball.

2) In softball it will always be an out - to the day you die.  Not so on baseball so why use the softball rule now?

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007

It's not a delaying tactic.  It's an "I dare to you to make a mistake" tactic.

A delaying tactic is something expressly meant to slow the game.

This is a tactic expressly meant to force an error.

May 30, 2007

Rich,  I understand what your saying, I am not a softball guy at all.  But the leaving early penalties are not "baseball" either.  Where else in baseball can you have a runner just poof?

-7.13 has to have 16 examples just to explain the rule and that doesn't take into consideration errors and makes the UIC guess what the "value" of a hit is. 

-In some local leagues where they just get by with one umpire, I've know coaches to encourage runners to get the early step off first, knowing that it can only hurt if R1 outruns the B/R by a base (or error). The fear of an out might eliminate this. I would toss a coach that I knew was encouraging players to break the rules, but intent is difficult to establish.  Corner of the eye seeing a runner leave early and getting an out, that would deter.  IMO

-I understand the rule and how to apply it, but most umpires and coaches at the local level don't.

-Rarely do I see a flag in the possession of the base umpire in local or even district games. No matter how much training you do, this is an issue.

I don't like taking rules to the lowest common denominator (as FED tends to do), but this one might be an improvement if LL did.  JMO

May 30, 2007

Bearblue wrote:

I think you just change 7.13 (Leaving Early) to mirror the softball rule.

If runner leaves early, runner is out.

Not always a penalty on runner and offense can gain an advantage by leaving early in some situations.

For example, I had a district game a couple of years back:  R1, 1 out.  R1 leaves early, ball hit to SS toward 2nd.  no chance at first, but should have runner at 2nd.  Safe on a banger. Flag on the ground for leaving early.

Offense went on to put up a crocked number.  Probably no bearing on outcome, but it it didn't feel like an advantage intended by the rules.

It was pervasive during the regular season.  We decided to leave because of this and other rule infractions that were not enforced.  We moved to Pony which does allow leading off, but you have 70 foot bases in 12U. We are on the fence on returning to LL in the spring with my son becoming a 12 year old.  He was quite effective in LL as an 11 year old pitcher and the 200 foot fences are easy pickings for him..

May 30, 2007

Rich_Ives wrote:

Keep leaving early the way it is.

1) This isn't softball. If you want softball rules play softball.

2) In softball it will always be an out - to the day you die.  Not so on baseball so why use the softball rule now?

Then allow lead offs  (ridiculous for 60 foot bases in 12U.  Why bother with the rule if there are no real teeth to it?

May 30, 2007

Little League does allow a local option to play 50/70 with lead-offs, balks, etc.  Our local league and two neighbooring towns chose this option.

You can stay in LL and play 50/70

-Down side, no tournament play

-I expect the board to go back this coming year to 46/60

I voted against going to 50/70 last year and will support returning to 46/60 this coming year.

There are many kids who still need the 46/60  and Little League was not designed to be a prep for travel ball.

JMO

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007

An actual MC rule would be nice. I'm fine with 7.13. A little guidance in the RIM on bat throwing would be good. I don't have a problem with the ejection for carelessly thrown bats with the warning. It is dangerous and he will learn quicker by sitting a game. LL is not the only level with this rule. The umpire being hit on the infield is a straight baseball rule and needs no change.

Michael S. Taylor

May 30, 2007

Bearblue wrote:

Little League does allow a local option to play 50/70 with lead-offs, balks, etc.  Our local league and two neighbooring towns chose this option.

You can stay in LL and play 50/70

-Down side, no tournament play

-I expect the board to go back this coming year to 46/60

I voted against going to 50/70 last year and will support returning to 46/60 this coming year.

There are many kids who still need the 46/60  and Little League was not designed to be a prep for travel ball.

JMO

Really?  Then why are there LL teams from Califonia, Montana, Mexico and Japan in Williamsport?

• EasyEd Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 6, 2004

New rule - the 'man-up' principle: any player who cries while on the field and the crying is not physical injury induced, will be automatically administratively removed from the game. The coach will be required to supply a box of tissues to the player as he/she exits the ballpark.

1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...