Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2724 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2011 5:38 AM by Kristy in NC
Snerb Pro 140 posts since
Jan 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 25, 2011 8:42 AM

What's Your Running Story?

I like to hear these stories, they're motivating.  And let's face it, we all like to toot our own horn once in a while.

So post your running stories/success'.

Mine,

At 37 years old and after many years of procrastinating, I went through a 'life' event in June of 2010 that motivated me to quit making excuses and do something about it.  I was heavier than I had ever been before and extremely out of shape (unless you consider 'round' a shape).  My first legit attempt at running was June 20th and it consisted of a .25 mile walk to a local high school's running track, I struggled to run one lap (.25 mile), then I walked .25 miles home.  I weighed myself the next morning, 273.

I didn't quit and on August 22, 2010 I ran my first 5k.  That was the farthest I had gone at that point.  My only goal was the run the whole way, through pure bull-headedness and not willing to give in to the pain, I did.

Today I'm still running 3-5 miles every other day, comfortably.  I've lost a lot of that extra weight (still a member of the 200+ club, but not by much), I'm much healthier, and I impressed the hell out of myself.  The old saying 'if I can do it, anyone can' really applies here.  I never understood why someone would go for a run/jog intentionally, now that's me.

Cheers!!

Snerb

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• slowskinnyrunner Pro 67 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011
    1. Aug 25, 2011 8:54 AM (in response to Snerb)
    Re: What's Your Running Story?

At 36 I quit smoking after 23 years of smoking. Awful I know. I decided that I was too old to be doing such damage to my health and threw my vice down, after many attempts, and took up walking/running.

I knew that I had adopted a permanent healthy lifestyle when I was having a bad day at work and my first thought was to hurry home to go for a run, smoking never crossed my mind.

Ham Jam Hog Wild Run 5K - April 16, 2011....................37.32

State Games of MS Cross Country 5K - June 4, 2011......39.03

Slow Poke 5K - August 13, 2011....................................37.17

Rush Run For Your Heart - September 24, 2011...............37.39

Homecoming 5K - October 8, 2011.................................

Run For Home 10K - November 12, 2011.........................

Jingle Bell Run 5K - December 3, 2011............................

It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit. ~George Sheehan

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    2. Aug 25, 2011 10:31 AM (in response to Snerb)

Great idea and great stories.  I love to hear these too.

Here's mine:

At 37 or so I was spending most of my non-working hours on the couch.  I also had a life event that got me into therapy and eventually to Weight Watchers.  I was 233.8 pounds.  I lost 25 pounds before I started exercising and eventually I lost 75 pounds.  I was doing sprint triathlons, long bike rides, and living life!  I was 8 pounds from my goal weight when I got pregnant.  I had two babies in the past few years and I'm now back to lose the pregnancy weight and get back into fighthing form.  I want to do a sprint tri this year.  I'm doing c25k, strength training and riding the bike.  I have lost 7 pounds and plan to lose about 35 more.  I'm feeling good and feel so very lucky to have the health and opportunity to get my fitness life back.

I journaled every friggin' detail in my blog and am happy to have it back in my life.

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• cmtpt53 Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 26, 2011
    3. Aug 25, 2011 5:07 PM (in response to Snerb)

Hi! I love hearing everyone's stories as well!  It's great to know that there are people out there in the same or similar situations.  I'm a bit younger, 22, but I have been over 200 pounds since I was 13.  In high school I would fail PE 2 times a year because I couldn't run a mile in 13mins, and I was so stubborn I would just quit. My best friend then and now was, and still is, an avid distance runner.  After getting on the scale 2 years ago and seeing 255lbs (yikes at 20 years old), I knew I had to make some major changes.  I lost some of the weight, but after graduating from college this May, I decided I wanted to be a runner and run with my best friend.  I started the Couch to 5k program at the beginning of June and have ran 2 5ks since then.  Now I have the itch!  I am signed up fir at least 2 more 5ks this fall and have my eyes on the Pittsburgh Half Marathon in May.  I feel amazing. Running is so freeing, and I have lost a total of 50lbs!  I am half way to where I want to be, and I know I can do this because that finish line is so close!  My favorite feeling is telling people about my training and seeing them in awe of the accomplishments and set similar goals for themselves.  I have been blogging about my experience with the C25K program and will continue blogging as I reach the half marathon(and eventually full marathon) at: http://5kjourneycms.blogspot.com

• runBBQrun Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    4. Aug 25, 2011 5:06 PM (in response to Snerb)

Awesome idea! Always cool to see where people started and where they're going.

I've been overweight my whole life. I'd been a "jogger" at different stages in the past 10 years, mostly an effort for weight loss, but it never really stuck. My longest runs were 3-4 miles which were sometimes a mix of running and walking. I fell of the horse for good in 2008, and subsequently gained weight and became increasingly inactive.

Right after Thanksgiving last year and I was just feeling absolutely  horrible  about myself. At the age of 29 I had no energy and could barely walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. So on a whim told a friend I  was going to  start the couch to 5K program the next morning. And I did. And then after I ran a 5k, I wanted to run a 10k... so I did on July 4. Somewhere along  the way I fell in love with running, and I realized I didn't want to run to lose weight, I wanted to lose weight so I could really run! Since I started I've lost 40 lbs, now I watch my calorie intake and I run 3-4x/week. My longest run to date is 8 miles. I also joined a gym for strength and cross training, but will never give up my running. It's the one exercise where improvement is so easy to mark. Every few weeks I can run a little farther or a little faster And although I'd like to shave a few minutes off my 5k time, just this week I registered for my first half marathon, which I'll be running on Thanksgiving day!

My same friend who I told I was doing C25K on a whim has become a regular running buddy, and we will be training for the half marathon together. We are also considering a full marathon next year, something that is on both our bucket lists, and something we want to do before we have children.

I don't really know where the magical fairy dust came from that turned me from casual jogger into runner, but I really wish I'd found it sooner.

C25K started - 11/29/2010, finished 2/20/2011

Shamrock & Roll Atlanta 5K - 3/13/2011 ~42:15

Atlanta Womens 5K - 3/26/2011 ~ 41:58

Atlanta Fiesta 5K - 5/1/2011 ~ 41:44

Peachtree Road Race 10K - 7/4/2011 ~1:31:04

Iron Horse 15K & 5K Express 9/18/2011 ~32:34

Anything is Possible 5K 11/6/11 ~ 30:48

Atlanta Half Marathon 11/24/2011 ~2:25:38

Polar Bear 5K 1/28/2012 ~ 28:31 **PR**

Double Bridge Run 15K 02/4/2012 ~ 1:33:58

Locomotive Half Marathon 2/17/2012 ~ 2:17:22

Publix Georgia Half Marathon 3/18/2012

~Upcoming~

Nashville Rock & Roll Marathon 4/28/2012

~Faith is the refusal to panic.~

• cmtpt53 Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 26, 2011
    5. Aug 25, 2011 5:13 PM (in response to runBBQrun)

bjQuixler wrote:

Somewhere along  the way I fell in love with running, and I realized I didn't want to run to lose weight, I wanted to lose weight so I could really run!

The same thing happened to me!  Isn't it wonderful!  For me it was a real life-changing experience.  I don't know why I didn't figure this out sooner. It's almost turned me into a competitive person, but I'm competing against myself!

• runBBQrun Amateur 17 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    6. Aug 25, 2011 5:22 PM (in response to cmtpt53)

Holy crap it's wonderful! The satisfaction with running farther, or running faster is immeasurable!

C25K started - 11/29/2010, finished 2/20/2011

Shamrock & Roll Atlanta 5K - 3/13/2011 ~42:15

Atlanta Womens 5K - 3/26/2011 ~ 41:58

Atlanta Fiesta 5K - 5/1/2011 ~ 41:44

Peachtree Road Race 10K - 7/4/2011 ~1:31:04

Iron Horse 15K & 5K Express 9/18/2011 ~32:34

Anything is Possible 5K 11/6/11 ~ 30:48

Atlanta Half Marathon 11/24/2011 ~2:25:38

Polar Bear 5K 1/28/2012 ~ 28:31 **PR**

Double Bridge Run 15K 02/4/2012 ~ 1:33:58

Locomotive Half Marathon 2/17/2012 ~ 2:17:22

Publix Georgia Half Marathon 3/18/2012

~Upcoming~

Nashville Rock & Roll Marathon 4/28/2012

~Faith is the refusal to panic.~

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Aug 25, 2011 6:42 PM (in response to Snerb)

I started running last year, at the age of 41 and  will be 43 this year. I mainly started for weightloss and found that I really enjoy running.

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    8. Aug 25, 2011 8:26 PM (in response to Snerb)

Awesome stories, I love them all.  When you start exercising to lose weight and then realize you love it regardless, that's such a big turning point and it's like suddenly you get it, you understand why all those people are out there doing it, not because they are vain (well, some of them might be) but because it feels so darned good!

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• raf66 Expert 49 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    9. Aug 26, 2011 6:13 AM (in response to Snerb)

Great stories, one and all!  I started running about 10-11 years ago as several of my buddies in my office ran.  I was probably 34 yrs. old at the time (45 now) and I had NEVER run.  I considered myself in decent shape at the time (6' 2" and 200 lbs or so) but I thought I'd give running a try to have some male-bonding time.  The first few times I did it I could only go about 200 yards before I'd have to stop and walk for a few.  I did this over the course of a few months and got to the point I could run 2 1/2 to 3 miles nonstop.  I then entered into my first 5K and loved it, though getting passed by older women who were power-walking ticked me off somewhat.  Over the next several years I was up to running 20 mpw (4 x per week at 5 mile increments).  I felt great and my 5K times were down 10-12 minutes off my first one.  I also did a couple 10K's, a 4-miler, a 5-miler and a HM.  However, starting running kinda late in life (mid-30's), coupled with being 200 lbs. during that time took its toll and I tore my miniscus in each knee.  I had surgery on both knees in the span of 12 months and was forced to lay off running for a few years.

Wow, during those intervening few years I had gained 25 lbs. of middle-age spread weight and I was now 45 years old.  I was woefully out of shape, none of my clothes fit and I just looked like a bloated version of my old self.  Since I'm a fairly tall guy I wasn't necessarily fat, but I was heavy, for me, at 232 lbs.  Well, vanity and pride are big motivators for me so several months ago I decided to start running again and watch my caloric intake.  During that time I've developed a routine of running 20-25 mpw and I've lost 40 lbs!  It didn't come easy at first.  I was running/walking (mostly walking) a 5K seven nights/week the first several weeks to make sure the nagging aches and pains/injuries wouldn't overtake me.  I was then able to run most of a 5K.  Then a whole 5K.  Now, 3.5 months later, I run 4 miles five to six days/week. I'm within a few lbs. of of my college weight and I just set a PR in a 5K I did a couple weeks ago.  I'm running another 5K, a 4-miler and a 5-miler in September.  I can't wait!  Just as importantly, I haven't suffered any debilitating injuries since my return to the sport.

I can't believe how much better I feel now with the combination of weight loss and a consistent running regimen.  I actually look forward to running every evening (best time for me since I'm not a morning person)!  After my knee surgeries I had basically given up on ever trying to run again.  I had resigned myself that I'd have to take up cycling.  Not that there's anything wrong with that sport.  It's just that when I biked I could never really get my HR up to where I was getting good aerobic exercise.  Running is a wonderful catharsis for me.  And the runner's high that I get afterward is enough motivation for me to lace up my running shoes even when I don't particularly feel like running that day.

Thanks for letting me share my long-winded story.  As I read through your stories I get the urge to leave the office and go run (even in my suit and tie).

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    10. Aug 26, 2011 6:48 AM (in response to Snerb)

I'm loving all of the stories so it's only fair I contribute mine too.

Seven years ago I had a minor health problem and was told the easiest way to overcome it was to change my diet.  I hadn't gotten on a scale or done more than glance at myself in a mirror for a long time, so I bit the bullet and hit the scale to see what the damage was.  I was over 200 lbs.  So first thing I did was change my diet following my doctor's guidelines and dropped at least 10 lbs within the first month and a half.  Then I began to exercise, which led to more better choices including quitting smoking.  One other good habit I picked up was walking to work daily.  However I decided that weather under 25 degrees was too unpleasant to walk in so I don't walk in the winter.  Last year (2010) we got to that point in the year when the walks stopped.  I missed them terribly.  Somehow an article I had seen in one of my magazines came to mind, "Turn Your Walk Into A Run".  I thought hmm, I could do THAT over the winter, then I wouldn't gain that 5 or so lbs that I had the previous couple of winters!  So I got a copy of the plan and started getting on the treadmill at the gym.  My first "outdoor" run was in April of this year, it was my first 5k.  The conditions were horrible - cold, windy, rain/sleet... but I loved it!  I still do a combination of treadmill and road workouts and have set a goal to run a half-marathon (or two or three?) next year.

Not only did I not gain that 5 lbs of winter weight, I have lost a  total of 13 lbs between then and now.  For me, the weight loss is an extra bonus benefit of the running plan.  I started running at 43 and will do my first HM at 45.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Joe_Sullivan Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 22, 2011
    11. Aug 26, 2011 9:18 AM (in response to Snerb)

Hi All,

I've been running (on and off) since '77 so I have a lot of stories but I'll start at the beginning.

Tall skinny kid starting high school wants to play sports but is decidedly untalented. Tries wrestling (unpopular sport, at the time, so they take everyone). Loses every match (but one!) that season. Looks for greener pastures the next year and shows up at  X-Country (another unpopular team) practice. Coach takes the new recruits out for a trial run and the tall skinny kid finishes with the faster kids (all that running during wrestling pays off). The kid was 'off and running' ..... 3 years of  HS X-Country and Track and 4 years of collegiate  X-Country (yes...scholarship worthy!).

I was still untalented but could usually finish 3rd or 4th on the team.

There really is nothing like the rush you get from the start of a large X-Country race!  The gun goes off on 15-20 teams spread across a 40-50 yard long starting line (btw: everyone is wearing long metal spikes) and you're in stampede not only for position but for your life!

I stopped running (for ~10 years) after college (I guess running had became too much of a job) but every Fall a voice in the back of my head would say "Why aren't you running right now!"

(2010 - Started Spinning - Started Running - Lost 30lbs)

2011 Race Results:

07/21 - Sundowners 5K (Joliet) - 25:10

09/29 - ANL Division Championship (3.3mile) - 23:48

10/16 - Hinsdale Rotary 10K - 46:48

10/23 - New Lenox Pant for the Pantry 5k - 21:43

01/08/12 - WDW Half Marathon - 1:45:31

Upcoming Races:

• indigopet Pro 95 posts since
    Jan 23, 2011
    12. Aug 27, 2011 4:34 PM (in response to Joe_Sullivan)

This is me before running.  And 2 years later after running.  That's my story

fat me 3.JPG 230825_1857816976598_1576101025_1785501_4323144_n.jpg

PR: 5k - 31:45, 4 mile - 45:15, 8k - 53.52, 10k - 1:09:57, 10 mile - 1:54:07, 10NM - 2:19:11, HM - 2:39:17, Marathon - 6:04:12

http://athlinks.com/racer/results/78782435

• MugsyMac Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Aug 27, 2011 6:54 PM (in response to Snerb)

I love reading these stories too!

My story is that I've always wanted to be a runner, ever since I was a teenager. I always looked up to runners and thought how amazing it would be to be fit enough to be able to run but alas, I've been overweight my entire life and only stuck with C25k once, finished it and then didn't run again. That was 5 years ago. I'm 39 now and decided to get control of my health (or lack of it). In Oct 2010 I decided to go through all of the requirements to have gastric bypass surgery and on 5/2/11 I had the surgery. It was the best decision I ever made. I've had no complications and feel great. I've lost 99 lbs since my highest of 302 in Aug 2010 (most of it lost since Feb 2011 when I started my pre-op diet) and I just graduated from C25k today!

Life is great and I've signed up for my first 5k for 9/18/11.

Thanks for listening!

Megan

Stuff About Me:

5/2/11 RNY Gastric Bypass surgery (the day my life changed forever!)

Completed Races:

9/18/11 Saratoga Palio (my first 5k)

10/2/11 The ROC 5k Run

10/22/11 The Great Pumpkin 5k

Upcoming Races:

5/5/13 Twin Lights Half Marathon

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    14. Aug 28, 2011 5:38 AM (in response to Snerb)

This past November for some reason I just decided I wanted to run.  Never have run before.  In fact DH and I used to see runners and say "why would anyone want to do that, it sure doesn't look like fun to me", but maybe turning 54 and being 20 lb overweight was my motivator.  I developed bursitis in my L knee and had to stop for a couple weeks.  Started back the first of the year, got sick several times and couldn't run.  FINALLY got over everything and was humming along.  Memorial Day weekend I fell off a step onto a concrete pad onto my left knee and lacerated it.  Being the good ED nurse that I am, I didn't get it checked until it became red and swollen.  Infection....antibiotics.  It got better, I ran the Peachtree Road race with no problems and had a blast.  Last month I started having more knee pain, potential infection in joint so antibiotics again.  Finally I'm having minimal pain and able to run on the knee but I've really lost a lot of ground.  I was able to run a 5K without walking, but now have to run/walk.  I'm slowly working my way up again but I'm getting really frustrated.  I'm really going to have to break down a go the the orthopaedist about my knee because it's still twinging, but I really don't want to.  DH started running after me (I might add that he pretty much scoffed at me when I started) and now is training for a HM and doing great!  DH has now started, along with several girls DH works with.  He shared my story with them along with the C25K program and they've jumped on the running bandwagon. 

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points