Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1953 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2005 3:02 PM by Grizdog
those3guys Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 20, 2005 12:39 PM

Died on the run in olympic distance - any suggestions?

In this year's Chicago Triathlon I swam faster and biked faster than I ever did during training, without really "pushing" it.  However, my run was about a minute and a half slower per mile than I was running during training runs...I started slowing way down at about mile 3. 

I am wondering if my training caused this.  During brick training I would ride the full bike distance but then only about 2-3 miles of running followed.  I would, of course, run the full distance regularly during training, just not in the brick. 

I have some pretty aggressive improvement goals for the 2006 season.  Any suggestions on how to finish stronger?

• 218008407 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

What did you do for intake?  Any jel or gu?  Hydration an issue?  That sounds like more of a cause than training or experience.

Training wise, I would add some hills.  Some nice mean bastards.  Perhaps start your run off a little easier, get your legs and then go to cruising speed.

• tigertickets Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

I had the same experience in Chicago this year.  After reviewing the race over and over again I came to the conclusion that nutrition and lack of warm weather training did me in.  I finished but my run was a minute and half slower per mile than normal.  I used GU and water during the bike but held off using a sports drink because they sometimes cause digestive problems.   This was a big mistake because the weather turned deceptively warm for the late morning start times.  The temp jumped at least 15 degrees following the water start (and hit the high 80's) and the sun really baked the bike and run path.  Two other participants collapsed on the path as well.  I'm interested to hear others experiences at Chicago this year.  Any similar stories?  If not, what was your nutrition intake and training set up?

• Grizdog Pro 177 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

I too was a late start and that affected my run. All the waiting till my number was up kinda wore me out. I ate gel on the bike and only drank water. Digestive problems with gatorade or sugar. I belive the heat cause some slowing down for me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...