Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2167 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2011 10:12 AM by mmcbride69 RSS
boulianne Rookie 5 posts since
Aug 30, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 30, 2011 10:57 AM

Fearing week 5

Hey! Is anyone working on mid week 5 or mid week 6? Each week I’ve dreaded the next level climb (even though I’ve been able to push through each increase without incident) but the climb from 2 portions of 8 minutes of jogging to a full twenty minute jog is scary to me. Did many of you repeat day 1 and 2 of week five before moving on? Anyone else running around my same schedule? It would be nice to start a discussion thread together.

• joannadnc Expert 48 posts since
    Jul 18, 2011
    1. Aug 30, 2011 1:02 PM (in response to boulianne)
    Re: Fearing week 5

I admit I actually stopped C25K before the 8 minute runs -- I had signed up for a half marathon and knew I wanted to use Jeff Galloway's run-walk-run interval method for that, and so I decided to just switch to my target Galloway intervals rather than increasing my continuous running, because I was worried that I would hurt myself and just really wanted to be able to keep going (over the past 5 years, when I'd tried to start running the way I used to run -- continuously at my "regular" speed, injury was the outcome -- and running once every 6 months does not actually improve fitness! ; )  ). I continued to use the C25K total duration of workout, though, to work up to longer times and distances, but I used my Galloway intervals for the whole workout, eventually skipping the last walk break. (2:30 run, 1:00 walk for me)

There are lots of folks on here who shared your concern about the increasing time and overcame their doubts and discovered that they could do it, just as you have done for each week so far, but I just wanted to say that the point is to be out there moving forward. You are free to do whatever works for you, whether that's repeating the 8 min segments til they seem "short", moving straight on to the 20, or switching to a different thing altogether. Congratulations on your progress!!!

--joanna

• MJRinFLA Amateur 13 posts since
    Aug 2, 2011
    2. Aug 30, 2011 1:11 PM (in response to boulianne)

I am starting week 5 tonight.  I am actually excited to go the 8 minutes.  Week 4 was the week I feared due to the 5 minute run.  But after doing that without collapsing, it gave me the confidence needed to move on.  Now I am anxiously awaiting to see how I respond to the 8 minute run.

Good luck and keep pushing through any doubts.  I will let you know how I did tonight or tomorrow.

Mike

2011 Suncoast Komen Race for the Cure 5k 30:23 (first race in 26 yrs)

2011 St. Petersburg Times Turkey Trot 5k 27:32 (woohoo!!)

• SergeStorms Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 5, 2011
    3. Aug 30, 2011 2:45 PM (in response to boulianne)

Don't fear any week/day.  Just go out and give it a shot.  By not trying it, you are robbing yourself of the satisfaction of accomplishing it.

Enjoy.....I bet you do it first try!

• ac3070 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 2, 2011
    4. Sep 2, 2011 3:49 PM (in response to boulianne)

I just finished week 4 day 3 and wasn't exactly "fearing" week 5 until I looked again at the plan....I didn't realize the three days were different!

So far, I have been proud of (and surprised by) what my body has been able to do so I hope it continues next week!!

• StrongSilent Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 3, 2011
    5. Sep 3, 2011 10:00 AM (in response to boulianne)

I just finished Week 5 today - was dreading the 20 Minutes - but I did it!  I talked myself through it!  I also found the C25K Podcasts on itunes, it helps having somebody else talking to me through my ears! Feeling a little sore, but otherwise preet pleased with myself overall!

I must admit it has taken me a LONG time to get here - a year actually since I first decided to start running!  I had terrible Shin splints that would set me back continously, but I kept at it!  Also found some great orthotics for my shoes, and started taking Magnesium and Glucosemine.  Can't wait to start week 6 on Monday - Labour day holidays are for fun, not rest.

• JessicaKestner Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 14, 2011
    7. Sep 3, 2011 1:48 PM (in response to boulianne)

I have been doing c25k since july.  I have stayed on course the whole time and I am ending week 8 tomorrow.  Please everyone, have faith in yourself!  I know sometimes the goals are intimidating, but I have pushed through and finished!  If I can do it, anybody can.  Let me encourage you to switch your courses up and run on the treadmill as well.  It helps you have endurance at all levels, hills, etc.  Enjoy it!  It a goal you will reach through hard work and accomplishment that no one can take from you!  Good luck runners!!!

• JessicaKestner Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 14, 2011
    8. Sep 3, 2011 1:50 PM (in response to boulianne)

I have to have my Ipod!!! I know they feeling!  I used the app too....I was really dreading that 20 minute run.  I couldn't believe they uped it to that like they did, but let me tell you, after I finished it, I was so excited!!! Everything felt so easy after that!!! Good Luck!!

• roadwarrior11 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    9. Sep 3, 2011 5:56 PM (in response to boulianne)

I'm just started week 4 this morning. I looked ahead and saw that running 20 minutes straight. I'm excited for the challenge i may repeat that a few time before i move on. IDK i still have 2 weeks before i'll be at that point so who knows.

• ac3070 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 2, 2011
    10. Sep 10, 2011 5:23 AM (in response to boulianne)
    Fearing week 5

I'm heading into the week5 day3 workout today...think of me, everyone!  I made it through day2 without issues so hopefully I can make it through this one too!!!

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    11. Sep 11, 2011 10:10 PM (in response to ac3070)
    Fearing week 5

You can do it!  Do whatever you want to get there, repeat weeks, repeat days, etc, just keep at it.  I do each week twice because that's what works for me.  I got through week 5 but it wasn't easy, now i'm on week 6 and had my first stumble (week 6/day 2) but i'm keeping at it.  I did my first run outside today and it was fabulous - and I had no problems doing the 26 minutes.  The treadmill is so boring!

I have journaled my c25k stuff at http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com  I lost 75 pounds before having two kids and now I'm back to lose the baby weight that I never should have gained in the first place

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

• mmcbride69 Amateur 18 posts since
    May 28, 2008
    13. Sep 12, 2011 10:12 AM (in response to boulianne)
    Fearing week 5

Way to go!!!  Keep pushing on and it will continue to get easier and easier.  3 years ago I started running and I did it on my own, without much of a plan.  I never built up much endurance, even though I eventually ran a half-marathon.  I could never run much further than a mile without walking.  This time, I used Robert Ullrey's C25K podcasts each week and progressed at a slow steady pace.  I also feared that first 20 minute run as when I started I was struggling to run for 60 seconds but I got through it and surprised myself.  I transitioned over to Hal Higdon's 20 week half-marathon training plan after C25K W6 (just over a month ago).  This past Saturday I went out for a long run and completed 5.2 miles and ran all but .5 miles of it.  It was slow, but steady and the best part was I did it!  My last half-marathon I ran injured and walked for over 5 miles of the race.  My goal for November is to run the whole 13 miles.  I'll take very short walk breaks through the check points, but that's it.  Wish me luck and keep up with your running!  You'll do great in October.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...