Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1772 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2011 12:40 PM by MouseRN
NatalieNewB Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 28, 2011 10:58 PM

OMG, tomorrow is the Big Day

My shoes sit prepared still in the box, I purchased them today!  I am so nervous, I want to run just for the pure enjoyment. Despite the fact that my brain is going into overload with all of the "what if's" I am still going. I am doing this for myself, I want to feel good about my body, I want to do something to prolong my life and on top of my basic goals I secretly want to run in a marathon! Although I have no idea about running I have read up on getting started bought the books, shoes, and appropriate gear. I am ready, I don't want to be so freaked! It is not like a pass or fail, right?

I can't wait to see what it feels like to hit the pavement in search of me. Well, I will keep my goals small and attainable, I just want to run a little which is more than I am doing right now. I am getting off my couch or shall I say out of my bed and stripping away all of my normal excuses...sometimes I wonder if these are thoughts of grandure? I will see tomorrow, I am going to try, speed is not important and I am only seeking health...

_NewB

• nonsmokinJoe Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 20, 2011
    1. Aug 29, 2011 3:47 AM (in response to NatalieNewB)
    Re: OMG, tomorrow is the Big Day

Congrats on your decision to get out and start. I am pretty new to running also (just beginning week 4 of c25k). I remember the night before I started running, my mind was racing a hundred miles an hour. Before my thoughts were complete, I had signed up for the Boston Marathon (only in my mind) lol. It's imperitive to have long term goals, but, my struggle was wanting them too soon. I had to slow myself down and focus on my short term goals (running for a minute or two). The first week was a battle physically. It's difficult to get up at 5AM to hit the pavement, I run before work. One thing that was constant was that each morning I got up, I wasn't disappointed. Even though I wanted to hit the snooze button, I forced myself to roll out and go. Each morning that I completed the run, I felt a sense of accomplishment. Then, as an additional plus, I had more energy throughout the day also!!  Once again congratulation and good luck.

• nyla100 Expert 59 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    2. Aug 29, 2011 4:20 PM (in response to NatalieNewB)

Congrats NatalieNewB on making the decision to start C25K. I'm a repeat offender (restarting more than once), but am determined to start fresh this week. Good luck on your run today!

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

• glubbuk11 Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 28, 2011
    4. Aug 30, 2011 1:37 AM (in response to NatalieNewB)

Like you said in your original post - it's not about pass or fail... There's no failure in finding it hard to get going.

The hardest part for me on many attempts at running throughout my life has been getting started. Once you get over that barrier then you're away. Think about running at a different time of day if it's hard to get out of bed.

Most of all - good luck and congrats for even thinking about taking the first step.

My blogs:

Running - Eight Minute Mile

Soccer - 1.FC Nuremberg UK Fan Club

• glubbuk11 Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 28, 2011
    5. Aug 30, 2011 1:41 AM (in response to nonsmokinJoe)

That's the most amazing thing I have found with running Joe... having more energy. When I'm in a good phase of regulalrly running I feel more energized and less tired.

My blogs:

Running - Eight Minute Mile

Soccer - 1.FC Nuremberg UK Fan Club

• joannadnc Expert 48 posts since
    Jul 18, 2011
    6. Aug 30, 2011 10:02 AM (in response to NatalieNewB)
    Re:How do I fight against the snooze Button?

Hi Natalie! I hate getting up early. If you're anything like me (and it sure sounds like we think the same thing about getting up in the morning!), I think you probably need to get a successful outing (or a couple successful weeks) under your belt before you try to do it straight from bed. Then you'll know -- really know -- how good it will make you feel and you'll know that you'd rather feel that way than have 9 more minutes of sleep ended with that @#()%* screeching alarm! : ) So, could you go out after work? Or even during work? I've thought about sleeping in my workout clothes too. If that's what it takes, do it!

Remember when you get out there, to take it slow. A pace slow enough that you could carry on a conversation should be your goal for the next month or two. (When I'm by myself I test my pace by singing a silly old girl scout camp song about a rain-tattered billboard -- not loud enough so anyone could hear me, but with voice behind it so I can't cheat and "sing" when I'm breathing out AND in! In real life, you can't talk while inhaling!) A slow pace and a short stride will help you recover well and avoid straining anything, and keeping your feet low to the ground will help avoid shin pain and other things. You can do it!!!

--joanna

• nyla100 Expert 59 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    7. Aug 30, 2011 10:11 AM (in response to NatalieNewB)

It's very obvious and cliche, but I know for me it really does make a difference having my clothes, etc. all set out the night before. I've had mornings where I've woken and just the extra time thinking about getting all my gear together was enough to keep me in bed!

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

• growlerius Pro 74 posts since
    Aug 15, 2009
    8. Aug 30, 2011 11:27 AM (in response to NatalieNewB)

A couple weeks ago I read these tips about getting out of bed:

-Make sure to drink lots of water up until bed.  That way your body (or bladder, rather) will wake you up at an appropriate time, probably earlier than you normally would.

-As soon as you get up, before even thinking about getting dressed, running, etc., take a big slug of water.  Because your body has been slowly dehydrating overnight, giving a it a kick-start of hydration first thing will wake you up like cold water over the head.

Good luck!

• MouseRN Pro 135 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    9. Sep 2, 2011 12:40 PM (in response to NatalieNewB)

Hi! I have just switched from running at night (between 8:45 to anywhere around midnight) to running early mornings THIS WEEK! This was partly by necessity as I am run/walking my first 5K on Monday and the start time is 5:30am. I am by no means an early bird, but surprisingly enough it's been an easier switch than I expected...the first couple of days were a bear but it's getting easier now. I typically set my alarm to go off half an hour early (4:30am...soon to change to 4am) to give me up to half an hour of "snooze" action. Yes, I account for that snooze because I know it'll happen at least once. Usually I'm irritated enough after a max of three resets that I get up visit the bathroom and go straight for half of a whole wheat bagel with 1 Tbsp on PB and a cup of hot water with lemon (helps the digestion to kick start, starts the rehydration process, provides just a little bit of an energy kick). I allow myself 15 minutes to eat/play on the laptop and then I get ready for the run. I'm usually out for about 1.5 hrs (warm up, dynamic stretches, run/walk 4.5 miles max, warm down, static stretches) and really on most days haven't found myself to be too tired afterwards. I tpically don't get to sleep any earlier than 10pm and more typically around 11pm as compared to not falling asleep until 2 or 3am when I was running in the evening. Like someone else said, as soon as you get into the routine it'll become second nature it just takes time and a perseverance to not hit that snooze button one too many times!   Good luck!

Oh, I guess I should mention that on rest days I still get up at the same time and go to the gym for strength training...that way my sleep pattern isn't getting bounced around as I think that would make things harder. I am allowing 1 hour extra sleep on weekends but that's it.HTH!

Please help me win a $250 grant for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society by voting daily through Sept 15th at the link below:

1) Go to the link below http://www.refuelwithchocolatemilk.com/grants/vote
    2) Put my name in the search box above the pictures and click "Go"
    3) Click on my picture
    4) Click on the "Vote for this Athlete" button

This is a great cause and can help find a cure for blood cancers! Thanks!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...