Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

888 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2011 10:21 PM by Mikala_SF RSS
akostano Rookie 1 posts since
Aug 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 28, 2011 4:39 PM

Help! Just starting out!

I'm new to this whole running/jogging thing... trying out the C25K program that I see many are doing.

I need help!! What do YOU use as motivation?! I've been doing not too badly with actually getting off the couch, but once I start going I tend to want to quit instantly.

I just finished week one. I've been finding that after each time, my knees and ankles are sore. I just invested in some new shoes, pretty good ones from what the salesperson told me. So I don't think that's the problem... any other possible causes, and ideas how to make it stop?

Thanks!!

• allmylove Expert 51 posts since
    Apr 24, 2011
    1. Aug 28, 2011 5:14 PM (in response to akostano)
    Re: Help! Just starting out!

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Your body will rebel some this first week, but keep at it.  You are conditioning your tendons and muscles to a new activity.  After a while you'll find that you feel better after you've gone for a little bit.  Normally when I start (on week 7 starting tomorrow) I'll have the aches and pains in the knees and hips, especially if I forget to take the motrin ahead of time.  But about 3-5 min in I start losing that pain and start feeling stronger.  I remember on week 1 I was totally gasping for breath after 30-45 seconds, and now doing 25 min's.

My inspiration is every time I reach a new milestone I get an instant mini high almost, and go tell everyone in the house.  I'm probably kinda annoying.  Plus I feel so much better after I run, I definatly feel the difference on the days I don't do it.  And just making myself a goal, like signing up for a race around the time I graduate the program is helping me keep my eye on the prize, no slacking allowed.

• MouseRN Pro 135 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    2. Sep 2, 2011 12:50 PM (in response to akostano)
    Re: Help! Just starting out!

Hi! I'm a C25K flunkie from a couple of years back. I now find my inspiration in running for a cause (see my sig block!).I joined Team in Training which benefits the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to train rather than do C25K again. They provide coaching/mentoring...but you do have to do fundraising as with any other charity racing group.As the pain decreases or stops you'll find that you may actulally start to look forward to the runs. The pain is why I quit C25K when I did it. Turns out that I was pushing myself through the pain causing more injury (stress fractures), problems with shoe not being what I needed for my gait and lacing issues which caused pain across the top of my foot. Anyway, here's a link to a post that I just did on the over 40 newbies board...maybe you'll be able to find it useful. I HTH!!

http://community.active.com/message/1076870#1076870

Please help me win a $250 grant for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society by voting daily through Sept 15th at the link below:

1) Go to the link below http://www.refuelwithchocolatemilk.com/grants/vote
    2) Put my name in the search box above the pictures and click "Go"
    3) Click on my picture
    4) Click on the "Vote for this Athlete" button

This is a great cause and can help find a cure for blood cancers! Thanks!

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    3. Sep 11, 2011 10:21 PM (in response to akostano)
    Help! Just starting out!

You mentioned once you start you tend to quit quickly.  Why do you start?  What is it that you want?  Those are your motivations.  Keep in mind the long haul,that you won't go from couch potato to fit runner overnight.  Don't give up!!

My blog:  http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com 

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...