Skip navigation

4863 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2011 1:51 PM by baller98 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
ToughD Legend 502 posts since
May 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 15, 2011 10:53 AM

Mental Aspects of Basketball, Pt. 2

What do you think is the most important shot in basketball? The lay-up, the mid-range, the 3?

The 2 most important shots in basketball are

- the layup

- the free throw

Section 1:

1. Why is it that during warmups and practice layups are so easy that they take virtually no effort at all, but on a fast break with a defender 10 feet behind us sometimes the pressure gets to us and we brick it?

A. Nothing is worse than getting angry glares from your teammates as you walk to the bench.

2. The mechanics of a layup are simple. Everyone can and should make layups. All you do is just gently lay the ball up on the backboard. Something a lot of us forget to do is to lay it high off the glass to make the layup

- harder for 6'11'' All-American centers to block

- still have the power to make it and get the And 1 even if you get hit.

3. I used to think that finger rolls are just a way to showoff when you can;t dunk or slap glass on a layup yet, but from talking and playing with high level players I have learned that finger rolls are a great way to protect the ball from defenders behind you.

A. Are you a smaller player afraid of getting blocked? If you beat your man to the basket, you'd be surprised at how effective a pump fake is. Because if you're like 99.99% of basketball players you like pulling a Lebron/Dwight-Howard-Spike-It-Into-The-5th-Row kind of block.

B.  A lot of ballers including myself have what I call Lane Anxiety (LA). Many players can beat their man to the basket, but if they don't have a wide open shot right away, they pass out to a wing and hurry out out of the paint in fear of getting whistled for being in the lane too long. Well, next time you beat your man to the basket but he is still in blocking range, try a pump fake.

Section 2:

1. Whenever it is a close game and someone on my team is shooting freethrows, I always get mad and say to myself " Man, if I had only made that wide open 15-footer, he wouldn't have to be in this situation." Well, you can't change the past, so you might as well make the best of the present.

2. Don't you hate it when you can do something cool and then when you say to someone "Hey, look what I can do!" and then you can't do it? Well for me, that happens with free throws a lot. Sometimes I can knock down 20 in a row, while other times I can barely get 6 for 10. Consistency is something everyone can work on, and if you watched the playoffs this year and paid attention to Lebron, you know what I'm talking about.

A. You can lie to yourself and say to yourself the reason you can;t make freethrows is because it's too hot out, my legs are tired, I'm not warmed up, and other excuses. But most of the time it is a lack of focus. I've had some coaches say focus on the front of the rim, the back of the rim, the net, etc. It's different for everyone, but personally I look at the rim and net as a whole and focus on getting good arch and good alignment.

- You don't want to focus on the result, you want to focus on the action.

Here is an example of what you should and shouldn't focus on:

I want to have a good career.

NO

I want to have a good season.

NO

I want to have a good game.

NO

I want to have a good half.

NO

I want to have a good quarter.

NO

I want to have a good possession.

NO

I want to do what I need to do each and every possession, and therefore have a good quarter, half, game, season, and career.

YES

3. Consistency in shooting is a big issue with many basketball players, I think one way to help is to have a consistent warmup. Here is my warmup

I            j                     I        c   x    b       I               d          I

I                                  I                            I                           I

I                                  I             a             I                           I

I                                  I                            I                           I

I                                  I                            I               e          I

I            i                     I                            I                           I

I                                 I                            I                          I

I                                I                            I                         I

I                               I                            I                        I

I                              I                            I                       I

I                            I                            I                     I                              x= basket

I                          I                            I                   I

I                        I______________I                 I

I                    hI             g             If               I

I                    I                            I              I

I                   I                          I            I

I                  I                        I           I

I                I                      I         I

I          I                    I   I

I    I                 I

I

10 made shots at a,b,c one handed.

10 made shots at a,b,c  with shadow hand.

10 made shots at a,b,c normal shot without jump.

10 made shots d,e*f,g**,h,i*,j normal jump shot.

* positions e and i are bank shots

** position g is a free throw

4. On free throws, it is important to have a consistent warmup pattern.

- My freethrow routine is to catch the ball, get my feet set, stare at the hoop while I bend my legs, and shoot. Something I am working on is to not pass the line. I am so used to rebounding my own shots that I have a habit of stepping over the line to get the ball quicker. The reason I don't do the common dribble dribble spin dribble dribble is because doing that gives your subconcious mind more time to think of ways to miss, therefore increasing your chances of missing.

- Shoot free throws the same way you shoot normal shots.

a. The rule of the thumb is if you can shoot free throws without jumping, then don't jump. But if you notice a lot of your shots miss short, then jump.

b. Typically, basketball players jump if they are younger than 6th grade. After that, I recommend you don't jump.

5. Make sure you're analyzing misses. If the shot misses short, tell yourself " I need to use more leg power" or if your shot goes to the left, tell yourself "I need to be aligned better. The ball needs to be right above my middle finger, which needs to be right above my elbow, which needs to be right above my knee, which needs to be right above my foot."

6. Just focus on making the freethrows; don;t say to yourself "This is important to make," or "my coach will be mad at me if I miss this."

7. Don't look in front of the rim, to either side of the rim, or past the rim (on a clear backboard, don't let rude fans distract you.)

8. Free throws are not hard, work on getting your muscle memory as hish as you can so eventually you can make free throws with your eyes closed.

Conclusion: Try practicing some things I told you about here. I'm not forcing you to do them, but try them. You never know, they could really help you.

Hope I didn't bore you to death!

Your fellow student of the game,

ToughD

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

- Kevin Durant

• pjhd12 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 6, 2011
    2. Aug 15, 2011 1:03 PM (in response to ToughD)
    Re: Mental Aspects of Basketball, Pt. 2

great post very informative

• EPE09 Legend 508 posts since
    Dec 28, 2009
    3. Aug 15, 2011 7:12 PM (in response to ToughD)

Long but great...

• EliteBaller Pro 118 posts since
    Jun 14, 2011
    5. Aug 16, 2011 4:30 PM (in response to ToughD)

Once again, this helped alot. I will hopefully become a better free throw shooter. I appreciate what you have done.

• EPE09 Legend 508 posts since
    Dec 28, 2009
    7. Aug 16, 2011 7:03 PM (in response to ToughD)

Oh well. It was still a great post.

• bg34 Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 28, 2011
    8. Aug 28, 2011 5:59 PM (in response to ToughD)

what workout do you like to toughD

thanks

• baller98 Pro 116 posts since
    Apr 6, 2011
    10. Sep 3, 2011 12:39 PM (in response to ToughD)

ToughD,

hi i was just wondering if u could post ur workout?? plz include all the drills, number of shots taken, moves, ball handling, etc..

thx,

baller98

~if u wanna be a somebody in basketball, u gotta work hard~

• baller98 Pro 116 posts since
    Apr 6, 2011
    13. Sep 4, 2011 1:51 PM (in response to ToughD)

thx very much this will help a lot. a few questions: whts the line shooting drill?? whts the ray allen shooting drill??

thx u hav been very helpful

~if u wanna be a somebody in basketball, u gotta work hard~

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points