Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2264 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2005 2:14 PM by ahnwhitfield
brownlsu Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 15, 2005 7:07 AM

Making step from Sprint to Olympic??

I am competing in my 2nd Sprint triathlon this weekend.  How do you know when you're ready to make the step from sprint distance to olympic distance?  My goal is to finish olympic distance and I don't feel I've necessarily mastered the sprint distance yet.  (never run over 5 miles at one time before).  I'll be living in the Atlanta area next season and was wondering if there any good step up races from Sprint in that area next year?  Any advice would be great!!   Thanks!

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Sep 15, 2005 10:48 AM (in response to brownlsu)
    Re: Making step from Sprint to Olympic??

you don't have to master the sprint before moving up to an Oly. you've got a lot of time to train for it -check out training plans at trinewbies.com for a rough idea what the trining would be like. check trifind.com for a listing of tri's in the atlanta area. good luck this weekend and have fun

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• WaterDog66 Amateur 39 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Sep 16, 2005 8:00 PM (in response to brownlsu)

I started out with Olympic (As my first Triathlon) mostly because I was able to swim the distance.

When I started training, I could not fathom the effort required to complete an Ironman, or even a half Ironman.

As my training progressed, (And I got more comfortable with the idea of swimming/cycling/running longer distances) I became more comfortable with idea.

I am now planning on registering for my first half next March. (Of course, the race is not until March 2007)

Probably the hardest part is registering for the event and committing to a the additional training necessary to achieve the goal. (Just finish the race, achieve a target time or actually be competitive)

IMHO, if you are asking the question, am I ready, then you probably have some level of drive to stretch beyond your current level. (And are probably ready)

Just make sure that your goals are reasonable, that you have the time and resources to properly train, and go for it.

Most of all, have a lot of fun.

The best part, your first Olympic will not be your first Triathlon, so you have an idea of what to expect.

• Connor Seth Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Oct 8, 2005 6:39 PM (in response to brownlsu)

Im actually looking to make the step from sprint to olympic too, but the race director said I was way to young.  Anyways I say go for it, do it if you can!

• ahnwhitfield Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Oct 14, 2005 2:14 PM (in response to brownlsu)

The only way to find out if you're ready is to have a go.

Essentially, as long as you can get round the swim course there's no reason not to have a go.

In my mind, that goes for any distance - even Ironman.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...