Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

29201 Views 169 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 11:43 AM by huddyrunner RSS Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next
  • Benjiesan Pro 109 posts since
    Jun 28, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    135. Sep 4, 2011 8:48 PM (in response to Carla JV)
    Re: Any other beginners over 40?

Hey everyone I'm 56 and just started seriously the C25K in June for the July 4 5K...My goal was to do a better time that last year when I attempted for the first time.  Like most of you, I too have never been a runner. I started at 205 lbs...I have lost 17 lbs and 10 inches since.  I got serious when my doctor said I had to drop the weight or I was headed towards medications...also the fact I am allergic to any of the meds to prevent ostioperosis makes it even more important for me to exercise and build strong healthy bones..I am about to be a grandma for the first time. I want to be around and be able to run and chase after my grandbabies!!

I too have had bumps in the road..I've been off my routine several weeks and am stuck at 5 minute intervals..However that is ok, as I could not run 2 minutes straight before.

What I find is VERY VERY IMPORTANT...STRETCH before and after the work out..  Make sure you have good running shoes and LISTEN to your body.   I never use to even attempt to run because I would get shin splints..I've made sure I stretch and on off run days, do strength exercises for my calves, legs, back.

The bottom line is -- don't be discouraged..you are all making the attempt to get out there and move!  Just try to better than the day before. Crazy as this sounds, I use to hate running, now I can't wait to get out there..even if I am slogging...I have cut my mock 16 min mile pace to a whopping 14 min mile!...I have done 3 5K's since July 4 and have shaved 5 minutes off my time.

To make myself accountable to keep at it, I registered for a 5K every month until January 2012...I hope to work up to a 10K, maybe by the time I reach 60?...I am always encouraged by the participants..when I see older men/women run like gazelles..it gives me hope and they tell me..just keep doing it..it will come.  I am always in awe of the one's that run like the wind...this past weekend the high school track teams ran before the open division runners..one young man, 16 finished in under 14 minutes..Amazing what the human body can do when trained!

Keep up the good work...and just remember you've got to "move it move it!"

"...Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles,

they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint" Isa 40.31

Mary Castle 21 Annual 5K Walk/run (Anaheim, CA) 7/3/2011 47.52

Mary Castle 22nd Annual 5K walk/run (Anaheim, CA) 7/4/2011 47.44

Guy Ponce 5K, at the big "A" (Anaheim, CA) 8/20/11 43.48 (Average pace 20.06)

6th Annual Kevin Cook Spirit Run 5K (Irvine CA) 9/3/11 42.10 (Average Pace 14:00)

Spooktacular 5K (Whittier, CA) 10/29/11 46.45 (Average pace 14.00) (this was a bit of an incline run but so fun!)

Plymouth Rock NRun - 5K Turkey Trot (Anaheim, CA) 11/26/11

Holiday 5K Run/Walk (Pomona, CA) 12/10/11

Neverland Twilight 5K (Disneyland-Anaheim, CA) 1/27/12

• MouseRN Pro 135 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    136. Sep 5, 2011 5:24 AM (in response to MammaDukes312)

Yeah MammaDukes...Clovis, NM courtesy of the USAF. After 19 years I'm still reluctantly used to it, but the kids did all but their first 4-5 years of life here so it's "home" to them. We're staying for now, but who knows actually for how long! lol!

Please help me win a $250 grant for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society by voting daily through Sept 15th at the link below:

1) Go to the link below http://www.refuelwithchocolatemilk.com/grants/vote
    2) Put my name -Beth Hardy- in the search box above the pictures and click "Go"
    3) Click on my picture
    4) Click on the "Vote for this Athlete" button

This is a great cause and can help find a cure for blood cancers! Thanks!

• MammaDukes312 Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 4, 2011
    137. Sep 5, 2011 6:08 AM (in response to MouseRN)

Beth, USAF- are you in the military or your spouse? Whomever it is Thank you for your service. My brother is in the USN and currently in Afghanistan...will be home in a few months after being gone 15 long months. Have a great day! Sharon

• MammaDukes312 Rookie 5 posts since
    Sep 4, 2011
    138. Sep 5, 2011 6:11 AM (in response to Benjiesan)

Good Morning Benjiesan

That's right...moving is what's important. 5 minute intervals are great, just keep it up and you will get to where you want to. I am working on completion first, then will work on my time. Have a great day!

• Devonfl Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 5, 2011
    139. Sep 5, 2011 6:52 AM (in response to Carla JV)

Good morning,,

I just found you all,,,and yes I am one of the over forty beginner runners,,I will be 50 in Oct..and have been running for a month,,,I started out walking, then I added bike riding, and then running and really enjoying the running and biking riding,,I have alway wanted to run but couldnt think I could do it,,,but now I am reall enjoying it,,I have lost 42 pounds with my excersise and diet and have about 20 more to lose..I run mostly on the treadmill since it is so hot here in Florida,,waiting for cooler weather to come so I can move it outside..good luck to all of the over forty beginner runners out there..

• cynfll Rookie 6 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    140. Sep 5, 2011 12:16 PM (in response to Carla JV)

I have kept on going but am doing W2 over for the third time to try to get a whole 90 seconds straight.  I have done much better this time and hope to move on the W3 this week.  Any progress is a success as far as I am concerned at this point.  Just the fact that I am looking forward to getting out there is huge....I have signed up for a 5k on October 22, all women for the Children's Miracle Network.  My daugher and another friend also signed up so I am focused on that.

Dev: I turned 50 last October and this has been one of my goals since then.  Although I will be 51 by the time the 5k gets here. Good luck to everyone and I'm very inspired to read all of your posts.

• MicheleErvin Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 2, 2011
    141. Sep 5, 2011 1:15 PM (in response to cynfll)

Last Friday I ran an entire 3.1 miles without stopping!    I can't wait for my first race October 8!  Saturday and Sunday I could run only 2 miles because of time, but this morning I did the 3.1 again, this time carrying a 3-pound weight in each hand!  Thank You, God!  I'll be 42 in a few weeks and am considered obese according to the BMI chart (not that I put any stock in the BMI chart, but that's a whole other topic I won't get into).  Today I timed myself and I did the first mile in 12 minutes, the second in 12:15 and the third in 13:15 for a total of 37:30.  That's 4.8-5 mph!  I'm excited by this milestone and it's just the impetus I need to continue training for my first 5K!

You can do this!  Keep running and aim to go farther or faster at regular intervals.  It will come!

• MouseRN Pro 135 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    142. Sep 5, 2011 3:05 PM (in response to MammaDukes312)

@MammaDukes - I was active duty '82-'86 and my husband retired after 26 years in 2008. We were very proud to serve! Thanks for your well wishes!

@MicheleErvin - Congrats on running the 5K distance in one go! I don't know that I'll ever be able to do that as I'm still waiting for that full lap around the track to happen still (after 2 months). lol!! You're making great strides and great times! Keep on, keeping on!

@Benjisan - Love the last line of your post..."Keep up the good work...and just remember you've got to "move it move it!""...So totally agree!!

I'm noticing that a lot of people are doing the time intervals...I've taken a different approach this time (non C25K) and am going by distance instead. On good days I can run about 200 yards at a time. I can't wait until I can make a full lap around the track without stopping! But for now I run as far as possible (which shortens as I get more tired) and try to do a brisk walk to recover for about 20 feet then bump up to a fast walk for another 30-40 feet before running again. I'm using the goals and yard lines on the football field as my markers. I think I'm doing about 90 secs to 2 mins of running at a time but I haven't really checked. I just figure one day I'll magically just keep running and won't realize that I've done that full lap until it's done...just waiting for that day to happen! lol!

I'd like to congratulate everyone for the weight losses that have been posted! AWESOME!! I have about 15# more to go until my minimum goal but I've already come down 25# between using the South Beach Diet in March/April and starting the exercise in late May/early June. Feeling so much better with less weight on my 5'4" frame! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!! (I wish there was a thumbs up icon!)

ANYWAY...I just did my first 5K this morning...Here's the post I have on the Penguin board (I hang out there most of the time) just copied and pasted because I'm too lazy to do a whole new writeup again! lol!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I finished the 5K! Actually ran the majority of it. It was a bit awkward timing myself this time...I'm using the Runstar app on my Droid 3 and this was the first time I used it, to top it off it's too big for my waist pack (ordered a new Fuel Belt Distance Runner waist pack Friday) so I had to start the app even before the race started by about 2 minutes so I could stuff it back into the pack I currently have. On top of that I forgot to start the chrono on my watch until about 1/8 or more of a mile into the race! Doh! Comedy of errors today, but a great learning experience. So, these are the numbers according to each of the devices:

Runstar App (started early):

40:46 mins over 3.27miles

12:28 mm pace

Watch (started late):

36:40:20 mins

So, to be somewhat fair I'm taking an average of 2:52:80 mins (avg of difference in both devices) and adding it to the watch time and subtracting it from the Runstar time. That gives me the following numbers:

Runstar App: 38:34:40 mins

Watch: 39: 32:60 mins

So the average of both these times is...39:04 mins final time (approx). Yes, covoluted mathematics but I think it's pretty accurate...just a couple minutes faster than what I run when training. Next race, I'll be sure to start my watch at the gun and I'll have a bigger pack to put my phone in that'll make it easier for me to start the app when the gun goes off. For now, the ~39:04 is OK by me even though I really wanted to be closer to 36 mins. This gives me a pace of 11:94m/m based on 3.27 miles or 12:59m/m based on 3.1 miles which is right at my normal pace.

Yes, a rough start to the morning but overall a great run...was laughing and occassionally talking with my husband, finished the race, had a great breakfast and made the old man drive home because I pretty much died for the whole 1.5 hr drive!! All in all a good learning experience...especially since I'm organizing my own fundraising 5K in November for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Keep up the great work everyone!! Train smart, listen to your bodies...rest when you need to to prevent injuries that can interrupt your training. Good luck to us all! 

Please help me win a $250 grant for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society by voting daily through Sept 15th at the link below:

1) Go to the link below http://www.refuelwithchocolatemilk.com/grants/vote
    2) Put my name -Beth Hardy- in the search box above the pictures and click "Go"
    3) Click on my picture
    4) Click on the "Vote for this Athlete" button

This is a great cause and can help find a cure for blood cancers! Thanks!

Aug 2, 2011
    143. Sep 5, 2011 3:36 PM (in response to MouseRN)

Mouse,

Just keep on.  It'll come!  I started walking 1 mile a little more than 2 years ago so it's taken me this long to get where I am. It sounds like you're doing just fine! 

• PumpkinJackson Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 15, 2011
    144. Sep 6, 2011 7:44 AM (in response to MicheleErvin)

I posted a few days ago about my problems when I attempted W3D1 - ankle pain that was so bad I was doing the hot coal dance when I tried to run, plus some knee pain.  Thank you to those who responded ... the message I got loud and clear was to emphasize stretching, which I admitted to being lax about.  For over a week and a half, my ankles have been so bad that it hurts to walk.  I believe I have Achilles tendinitis, and the "treatment" that I am mostly finding is rest and ice.  The Achilles is supposed to be one of those injuries that is slow to heal, because it gets poor blood flow.  Well, rest for one week did NOTHING to improve things, and I just can't sit around and atrophy.  So I decided to try something a little different:  NSAIDs (basically, I'm taking naproxen or Aleve for both the pain and to reduce inflammation); stretching exercises that I found to treat Achilles tendinitis (right now, "the calf stretch"); ice (20 minutes on at a time, usually after I've stretched); gentle compression (in the form of ankle wraps); and "easy walking" - meaning walking for about an hour, at an easy pace, on fairly level terrain.  I felt that trying to do easy walking would be better than resting for me for a couple of reasons.  First, wouldn't gently exercise help increase blood flow to that area that gets poor blood flow?  Second, I wasn't sedentary before I started C25K - I was fairly active, in walking/hiking/cycling/swimming - so resting was a big step back.  I gave it a week, that wasn't working - and I just can't not do anything.  What I'm feeling now is that sometimes I feel better, sometimes I don't.  I actually feel best after the walking, after the stretching, and after the icing.  My plan is to continue this until I can finally walk with no pain, however long that takes (running like this is just out of the question).  After about a week of pain-free walking, I'll try C25K Week 1 again.  I'm wondering if I need to do C25K-Remedial - maybe stay at each week for two weeks instead of one, or something like that.  Achilles tendinitis is something that happens when we try to do something too strenuous too fast.  Maybe my 49-year-old tendons just aren't so flexible as to be able to tolerate C25K out of the box ... I am hoping I can run, but the lesson is that I just need to take a little more time to acclimate to the new exercise.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    145. Sep 6, 2011 8:56 AM (in response to Carla JV)

I'm so excited, I was able to run my full 4 mile "long" route again this past Sunday!  When I run on the t'mill during the week I almost always have to take a walk break after mile 2, only thing I can think is that I'm running a faster pace... but my time on Sunday averaged to ~ 12 MM which I consider just fine.  I'm hoping that I'll be able to run the entire 5k race I have on the 17th; I've done 2 5k's already but walked part of each so running the entire distance is my goal.  Long run goes up to 5 miles next week!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Devonfl Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 5, 2011
    146. Sep 6, 2011 11:53 AM (in response to OshCat)

Hope everyone survived the weekend,,I only got a 6 mile bike ride in,,,but today I ran 3.1 miles on the treadmill and did the first 2 miles nonstop..which I felt really good doing..it is back to the good ole diet since I ate everything this past weekend,,hope everyone has a great week,,,and keep up the great work you all are doing...

• Benjiesan Pro 109 posts since
    Jun 28, 2010
    147. Sep 6, 2011 8:00 PM (in response to PumpkinJackson)

PumpkinJackson: Best advice I've gotten by "seasoned" runners is to "listen to your body"..If you get out of bed and your body says no way, listen!  I was also told not to run every day, but every other day..on my off run days, to do some sort of cross training, or wieight training to strengthen and stretch my muscles.   My first time around I got shin splints really badly..I had to stop...I have learned that streaching and warming up are crucial..that we need to start slow, get comfortable with that pace, then move on, gradually.  With time, your tenderonie 49 year old muscles can and will be back ...I just ran (slogged really) a 5k with a 50 year old who did it in under 20 minutes..he said he trained slowly but consistantly..it took him 3 years from couch to under 20 minutes, but he did it!  So yes you can!!!

Keep plugging along!

"...Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles,

they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint" Isa 40.31

Mary Castle 21 Annual 5K Walk/run (Anaheim, CA) 7/3/2011 47.52

Mary Castle 22nd Annual 5K walk/run (Anaheim, CA) 7/4/2011 47.44

Guy Ponce 5K, at the big "A" (Anaheim, CA) 8/20/11 43.48 (Average pace 20.06)

6th Annual Kevin Cook Spirit Run 5K (Irvine CA) 9/3/11 42.10 (Average Pace 14:00)

Spooktacular 5K (Whittier, CA) 10/29/11 46.45 (Average pace 14.00) (this was a bit of an incline run but so fun!)

Plymouth Rock NRun - 5K Turkey Trot (Anaheim, CA) 11/26/11

Holiday 5K Run/Walk (Pomona, CA) 12/10/11

Neverland Twilight 5K (Disneyland-Anaheim, CA) 1/27/12

Aug 2, 2011
    148. Sep 12, 2011 5:39 AM (in response to Benjiesan)
    Any other beginners over 40?

Have there really been no posts in 6 days???   

My jogging partner and I ran only 2 miles Friday because of lightning, 0 on Saturday, and 0 on Sunday, so our time today was slower than usual. 

Mile 1 = 10:09

Mile 2 = 15:05

Mile 3 = 15:40

Total 40:54

Gotta work on that finish!  How have the rest of you been doing?

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    149. Sep 12, 2011 6:23 AM (in response to MicheleErvin)
    Any other beginners over 40?

Michele, I know I couldn't get logged on during the upgrade...

My long Sunday run was not good this week.  I did my first mile but then my legs decided they were unhappy and really did not want to run any more.  I fought back and forth with them for the next 2 miles forcing them to do some running intervals, but the final mile I gave in and let them just walk me back home  .  I guess lucky for me I had just read an article from Coach Jenny about accepting Bad runs as part of the whole training package so it helped me not beat myself up too badly.  This coming Saturday I have a 5k race, and I am telling myself it will go much better than that!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...