Skip navigation

431 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2011 10:24 AM by ValerieAlbanese RSS
LauraKDecker Amateur 16 posts since
Jul 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 6, 2011 8:12 AM

my first set-back: knee pain UG!

So far my training has been going extremely well, my weekly shorter runs feel great, and I feel stronger than ever!  My long runs so far have been great, 8. 10, 8, 13, 10, 15, 12...all went without a hitch, and fueled my way through them with a pretty respectable pace.  Then came my 18 miler this past Satruday.  I started out feeling GREAT, I was feeling strong and excited to make a new PDR!  Then all of the sudden at mile 6.5 my right knee started hurting, along the outside and the pain wouldn't go away.  I stopped to walk, stretch, and tried to start again...but it was as if something wasn't allowing my knee to function properly.  I tried to run walk another 1/2 mile and then realized...this 18 miler was NOT in the cards for me today.

I felt defeated, and upset, I even shed a few tears of dissapointment...I have never had knee pain or any pain for that matter.  I wiped my tears away, hopped in a taxi, and went home.

I think it may be my IT band, doing some research online and talking to some runner folks...I haven't ran since Saturday, and I plan to try again tonight with alot of stretching...

I'm concerened that this may be a major set-back in my training - wondering if I should see a DR?

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Sep 6, 2011 10:13 AM (in response to LauraKDecker)
    Re: my first set-back: knee pain UG!

Laura,

Pain on the outside of the knee is classic IT band syndrome.  ITBS is commonly associated with increased training loads, such the increased mileage typical in marathon training.

I've been fighting ITBS for a few weeks now.  I was running a 10k trail race a couple of weeks ago and had to stop and work on the knee before it "loosened up" so that I could resume running.

There is good news -- aggressive stretching and use of a foam roller REALLY helps, and quickly.  There are plenty of good stetches online.  You should also consider seeing a massage therapist who specializes in sports massage.  That will help loosen up the ITB.

Finally, I've found that doing squats strengthens and stabilizes my knee.  I don't know if this is part of the standard care routine, but it works for me.

Good luck.

Surfing Vol

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• ValerieAlbanese Amateur 24 posts since
    Jul 30, 2011
    2. Sep 14, 2011 10:24 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)
    my first set-back: knee pain UG!

Laura,

I was coming to reply and saw Surfing Vol's post which is pretty much exactly what I would tell you. I, too, suffer from ITBS and I was in PT for a couple of months. I've since been really disciplined with my stretching/foam roller and it's made a world of difference. I know that exact discouragement that you're feeling all too well but hang in there. The pain really can be managed if you aggressively stretch and take care of yourself. If able, get yourself into PT a couple of times a week.

I've had a setback of time in my training due to being out of the country, but I hit the road for 17 miles this Saturday and it will be the first time I've ever gone that far. I'm SCARED! Hope you're feeling better since posting this!

~Valerie

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points