Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1645 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2011 5:28 PM by JamesJohnsonLMT RSS
xc29min Amateur 15 posts since
Dec 26, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 5, 2011 10:11 PM

Running & Blood Pressure medication

Hello runners - I have a question for runners who have a history of running and at some point in boomer years started taking blood pressure medication.  Have you noticed any changes in your body during and after runs?  Do you / are you still able to do hard workouts at times?  Are you still on the meds? Anyone able to stop the medication after eating healthier and continuing to run regularly?

I'm am an 55 year old male in decent condition.  After running steady for several years then stopped due to family deaths and other crisis but was able to start running again.  However, in going for check ups the doctor notice my bp was usally at 140/80something.  After trying a few medications i finally settled with 10mg Benazepril.  I have been taking this for about 2 years now.  I'm looking to speak to the doctor to see if I can try to come off them and maintain my bp thru diet and exercisingregularly.

Here is some information someone sent me about this question.  I'll sharre it with you:     Some blood pressure medications affect your ability to run and exercise more than others. If this is something you seriously want to pursue, it could be one of the main factors in determining which blood pressure medication is best for you.  Dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers (amlodipine, nifedipine, etc., but not diltiazem or verapamil) tend to be preferred for athletes. ACE inhibitors are another good choice for people who like vigorous exercise. Beta-blockers tend to be poor choices for people wanting to do hard exercise, and most diuretics are poor choices as well.

I guess I'm trying to find out what effects bp medication have on runners / performance/ and is it safe to run hard.  Any comments?

"Peace" Long May You Run

• James Grove Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    1. Sep 6, 2011 2:42 AM (in response to xc29min)
    Re: Running & Blood Pressure medication

I would definitely encourage you to speak with your doctor about this.  If you are able to control your BP through weight loss and exercise, perhaps you could get off the medication altogether.  But again, check with your doctor before engaging in a strenuous training program.

Benazepril is an ACE inhibitor which does not have effects on the cardiovascular system like beta blockers do.  Beta blockers slow your heart rate and breathing rate, which is why they are a poor choice for a runner.  Benazepril can elevate your potassium level so you should definitley avoid taking any kind of electrolyte supplement w/o first checking with your doctor.

Jim

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

11/13/2011 Harrisburg Marathon 4:08

10/9/11 Harrisburg Half Marathon 1:40:41

11/24/2011 New Castle Turkey Trot 5K 21:22

8/6/2011 Attack the Gap 10K 49:19

4/17/2011 CVRT 15K 1:14:53

• Phillip Senter Pro 48 posts since
    May 3, 2011
    3. Sep 6, 2011 3:17 PM (in response to xc29min)

There is a discussion about this sort of issue on a bike forums I subscribe to.  It deals with beta blockers and their effect on cyclists.  A lot of blood pressure medications have beta blockers and the general consensus among us armchairs types is that it inhibits the hearts ability to pump as fast during strenuous exercise.  I'm on a beta blocking bp med so I take mine after I exercise everyday so there will be as long a time period as possible after I take the pill and I do exercise.  Hopefully when I get my weight back below 200 my bp will stabilize like it did after I lost 165 pounds a few years ago.

http://community.active.com/people/triggerracing/blog/2011/06/21/w1d1

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,155 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    4. Sep 6, 2011 5:28 PM (in response to Phillip Senter)

I am a bit older than you, have had issues with BP over the years, but  have declined to medicate due to the obvious complications. I found to  my chagrin that low-salt diets do not help, but low sugar/starch diets  do. In fact, too little sodium will increase chances of adverse events  in vigorous exercisers. Those "dash" diets are based on a  misinterpretation of data from the old dash studies that found, on  re-interpretation, that reductions in simple carbs had a greater impact  on BP than salt reduction per se. It was the other things consumed with  salt that were the problem all along. I'm not saying to ditch the meds -  no prescribed medicine should be taken lightly, but I agree with the  other poster that you can wean yourself off them in time, since running  by itself should improve your BP outcome when dietary influnces are  neutral. Watch for signs of hand swelling (hyponatremia) and don't drink  too much purified water, and your electrolyte levels should stabilze on  a lower simple-carb diet. Happy trails!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...