Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

19291 Views 106 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2011 8:59 PM by callblue Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Michael_Taylor wrote:

I would definitely get rid of starters changing places in the line-up. I wou;d do it like *** and most other youth baseball and tie the sub and starter together.

As an umpire, I agree, but wouldn't that counter LL's pilosophy of getting more kids in the game? - Or at least making it easier to get more kids involved.

oops

May 25, 2007

NELL_blue wrote:

I would let coaches warm up pitchers, BUT make them wear mask and confirm VERBALLY they have protection on.

I agree with letting coaches warm up pitchers (although it is clear that that rule is to allow more children to participate, which I believe is one of LL's stated philosophies).

But why in the world would you (as an umpire) be worried about a mask for an adult? And asking about a cup?????   I give adults a little more credit than me telling them how to protect themselves.

Should we require helmets on base coaches, too?

oops

May 25, 2007

I don't disagree with lead by example..... but that is a matter of choice and style.

I just don't think this in the case of adults is a matter for the RULE BOOK.

And in some respects, it IS a matter of age (or at least skill which LL presumes many players of the AGE do not have).

Again, would you add helmets for adult coaches to the RULES?

oops

May 25, 2007

I guess fundamentally we disagree with the purpose of for the rules.

My opinion.... I wouldn't mind if LL allowed adults to warm up pitcher.

If they do allow it, I hope they don't make a mask, cup or other protction a mondatory part of the rules which the umpire would be required to enforce.

oops

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007

NELL wrote----in response to Hugo's question re base coaches wearing of helmets.

"Has any 1st or 3rd base coach been hit on the head while coaching?" "Give me the facts to make an informed decision."

The answer is.... Yes!

Mike Coolbaugh, 1st base coach, Tulsa Drillers, was hit and killed by a batted foul ball back in 2007.  

As a  result of Mike's death, under threat of... first a warning, ejection, and fine, if violated.... MLB made it a rule that all base coaches must wear a protective helmet.

That's a 90 foot field.    MLB implemented  the safety rule the "American way"----> wait for someone to get hurt or killed first before realizing the need for action.

With a LL 60 foot field, and base coaches sometimes working a scorebook- -[that's another subject]---and/or out of the coaches box towards home plate with a batter in the batter's box; all the more reason why LL should follow MLB.

Frank!

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007

Frank, excellent point.  I on occasions while coaching at 3B would often look at my lineup card trying to stay 3 steps ahead and anticipate my next move while the pitch was being delivered.   I had many a ball wistle by me and finally got smart and started wearing a helmet.  TM

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007

NELL & TM:  Thanks to both of  you for your responses!

Frank!

Being an "equal opportunity poster"---- the subject is still on the table for those with dissenting views/opinions.

BTW--locally, within the not too distant past, we had three adult base coaches hit-----two by batted balls, one by a thrown ball---all shoulders and above.

Luckily, no lasting injuries.

Frank!

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007

I'm surprised NFHS hasn't required coaches to wear helmets. Around here the coaches that either play men's league or coach Legion wear them as a matter of course.

Michael S. Taylor

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Frank_B wrote:

Mike Coolbaugh, 1st base coach, Tulsa Drillers, was hit and killed by a batted foul ball back in 2007.  

As a  result of Mike's death, under threat of... first a warning, ejection, and fine, if violated.... MLB made it a rule that all base coaches must wear a protective helmet.

That's a 90 foot field.    MLB implemented  the safety rule the "American way"----> wait for someone to get hurt or killed first before realizing the need for action.

Well, before we pour any accolades on the MLB for this rule, even if it did happen too late, the helmets that these coaches are now wearing--no earflaps, just a hard cap--would not have saved Mike Coolbaugh.  He got hit in the neck below his ear, and the ball severed the artery that delivers blood from the spinal cord to the brain.  It was a freak injury.

The pertinent question is, Since MLB (and MiLB and American Legion) instituted the helmet rule for base coaches, has there ever been an incident where a coach was hit in the head with a baseball, and the helmet saved him from potentially severe injury?  I don't recall ever seeing anything on it.

I'm not advocating that the rule is foolish.  Base coaches do put themselves in harm's way because they don't always watch the ball, so any rule to keep them from getting hurt is a good thing.  But to me, it's hypocritical for MLB to require this, but not require fencing in front of the dugouts.  I've seen way more screaming line drives that find their way into the dugouts than I have balls that fly by coaches' heads.  And dugout occupants aren't always paying attention to what's going on on the field either.  Is it going to take a player, coach or trainer getting his head crushed by one of those line drives before they fix that problem as well?

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Agreed Manny, the helmets do nothing to fix what happened to the MiLB coach but since many levels have required it, I am just surprised Fed hasn't required it.

Michael S. Taylor

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Long weekend.

I lost you on this, especially when you said:

If he's a sub and he's met MPR then when he's replaced by an MPR he's done.

I assume you meant "replaced by an SPR" because what you actually wrote makes absolutely no sense.

But if he's replaced by an SPR he is not done, he remains in the game.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...