Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6460 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2011 1:16 PM by luv2bhealthy RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • ManikSona Expert 55 posts since
    Aug 11, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 12, 2011 1:30 PM (in response to SwimBikeRun561)
    Re: Best prerace breakfast

Definitely stay away from the eggs before a race.  I try to keep it light before a race eating maybe a banana and a piece of toast with peanut butter.  I try not to drink too much water, but hydrate well the week before.  Oh, and I agree with eating a hearty dinner the night before.  Main thing, don't over eat and give enough time between your meal and the race.  Good luck!

Manik Runner - Training for a Marathon

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    16. Aug 12, 2011 1:48 PM (in response to SwimBikeRun561)

My man makes me home-made breakfast bars that are perfect for race day.  They have lots of oatmeal, plus he adds raisins or other dried fruits and nuts.  They aren't too sweet but do have good carbs and are filling but not too huge.  I have one of those plus some water.  Haven't had 'trot' problems yet (fingers crossed that I can avoid them in the future too!)

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• juniordo1 Amateur 31 posts since
    Feb 2, 2011
    17. Sep 7, 2011 4:56 AM (in response to SwimBikeRun561)

My last race, which was also my first, I ate the often prescribed 2 pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and sliced banana three hours before the race. For fluids on race morning I had only 12 ozs of water and 8 ozs of coffee, also three hours before the race. Nature took its course on schedule and I had no stomach issues during the race.  I also did not have to stop to use the portable toilets for any reason during the race. I will continue this prerace breakfast as long as it works for me.

2012 Minneapolis Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:06:56

2012 Brainerd Jaycess Run for the Lakes Marathon 4:48:10

• luv2bhealthy Amateur 18 posts since
    Mar 13, 2008
    18. Oct 20, 2011 1:16 PM (in response to juniordo1)
    Best prerace breakfast

I usually eat 1 piece of Ezekiel bread with peanut butter, drink 1 c. of coffee, and 1 bottle of water one hour before a race.  I only run 5 & 10k, but this works for me.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points