Skip navigation

15568 Views 106 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2011 8:59 PM by callblue RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next
  • Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Sorry I'm late - long weekend.

By allowing a starter to re-enter elsewhere you can do the following, usually easily.

Lineup

Start1

and elsewhere in the order

Start2

Sub1 goes in for Start1 after two innings and gets his AB and DOs within the next two innings (yes - it will happen very often).

Start1 then re-enters for Start2 at the start of the 5th inning.

Bingo - three players have four innings each in the game.

Try that with the "same slot" requirement.

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Watch MLB more closely.  There are a LOT of eligible uncaught third strikes there but "unnoticed" as the batter is retired 99+% of the time. It's the ability to execute the play that matters, not the initial catching of the pitch.

You shouldn't have the rule until you get to a stage where the most of the players most of the time can 1) make a good pitch  2) catch it  OR  3) execute the play.

If the top of the ladder allstars at the LLWS can't do it, why expect regular seson kids to do it?

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007

Manny:  Agreed-----as to the MLB mandated coaches helmets would not have saved Mike Coolbaugh---given the manner Mike was hit.

Also agreed, the mandated MLB helmets, absent earflaps, do come up short.

However, as I understand the helmet absent earflaps power-that-be  reasoning---no earflaps because  many base coaches use their ears to give signs.

Also---at times, must be in a position to  hear a voice directed to him from the dugout, umpire, or a player.

As to your concern about players in dugouts being in harm's way----and your question:.."Is it going to take a player, coach or trainer getting his head crushed by one of those line drives before they fix that problem as well"?

Well, your concern did happen at least twice, to my knowledge.

Last year--Geno Valez--S.F. Giants---was hit the head with a line drive while in his dugout. Suffered a severe concussion.

Luis Salazar, minor league manager, spring training,  hit in the face by a line drive while in the dugout. Suffered severe facial fractures.

Fenway, for one, has since put screening protection in front of dugouts. Francona, and a coach/ player or two still stand or sit in harm's way.

Frank!

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007

NELL....GOOD point.  I was watching that game and after Utley was hit he looked back at the Umpire and Catcher strangely as if he didnt remember getting hit.  They showed his helmet later with the large baseball shaped dent in it.  People just don't realize the dibilitating effects of a concusion.  TM

May 30, 2007

NELL..... and other interested persons:

Another reason why Utley didn't make the trip to Milwaukee---MLB now requires two(2) days rest for a player struck in the head by a pitched ball.

Frank!

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007

That could have an unintended consequence, hit a big hitter in the head during a pennant race and take him out of an important series.

Michael S. Taylor

May 30, 2007

Might also be able to file that under "INTENDED" consequence...with an "UNINTENDED" consequence being a fine and suspension of the throwing pitcher.    

Frank!

May 30, 2007

NELL;

I didn't know about the 2-day-[minimum]- MLB rest requirement until I read it in a excerpt about Utley in the Boston Globe sports page this past  week.

It's noted, it's "days rest" not "games rest'" ---assuming the Globe got it right!

Also, it appears, the severity of the hit is of no measure---with the minimum  2-days rest requirement MLB  is erring on the side of caution as to concussions.

Frank!

• trevornhayes Amateur 9 posts since
    Aug 5, 2003

I think the real purpose of 7.13 is lost on some of you.  Its purpose is not to restrain the runner, but to allow the pitcher to pitch without having to worry about holding a runner.  This allows a young pitcher to focus on pitching and thowing stikes, which we all know is a major task at this level.  They'll have plenty of time to learn how to deal with a runner as they get older.  This does make for some bad baseball in junior league, but the move to the standard field size is a good place to start learning.

Leave the penalty the way it is...as others have said, this isn't softball.

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007

I would like to see JrLL be 13/14 with 80ft bases. I know this would cause problems with leagues that use public fields. Also I would take 2 1/4 inch bats out of JrLL completely.

Michael S. Taylor

• Pete_Booth Pro 163 posts since
    May 25, 2007

I will break-down my answers into 2 groups 1 for administrative "stuff" and the other for rules

I. ADMINISTRATION:   I do not like any system that says "everyone makes it" There should be try-outs and unfortunately not everyone will or should make it. When you are in school even in the small grades not everyone makes the debate team or spelling bee team etc. etc. You have to EARN it. LL at least from my experiences has been a baby-sitting service. Some parents simply drop off their kids and either pick them up or in some cases have their neighbor pick them up and drop off.

The 11/12 yr. old age brackets should play 50-70 so that F1's learn the nuances of pitching. You have DDK's etc. etc. In other words play at least some form of "REAL" baseball. From my experience the kids "love it" when they play this type of ball. Yes sometimes the games turn into trackmeets but so do some LL games as well even on the traditional 60 ft. diamond. LL will not or most likely never do this because of the success of their show which of coarse is the Regionals and ultimately the WS which are on TV.

II. RULES:  If LL did go to the 50-70 format then 7.13 is "out the window" As it stands now you could put some 20 umpires in a room and still not fully understand rule 7.13. Get rid of 7.08(a-3) and replace it with an MC rule ala FED or a collision rule ala NCAA. For LL Juniors / SR.'s / BIG LEAGUE adopt the FED or NCAA FPSR.

When you get to the SR / BIG League level get rid of the F2 to F1 restrictions.

I agree with some others get rid of the SPR rule and replace with a more traditional CR rule.  

Put in stricter penalties for CBO meaning if you bat the line-up and someone gets injured / hurt then when that spot comes up you get an out.

Have consistent rules from regular season right thru to the WS. As it stands now you have regular season rules and then Tournament rules. Use ONE set of standard rules throughout the year.

Those are a few things that IMO I would like to see changed but it most likely will never happen which is the reason Travel ball has excelled.

Pete Booth

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...