Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4223 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2011 10:39 PM by everjewel 1 2 Previous Next
PlumeriaTattoo Amateur 27 posts since
Aug 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 10, 2011 8:45 AM

Do you run when traveling?

I will be going on vacation for 6 days  during what would be week 6 of my C25K program, and am not sure I'll be able (or willing) to run on my vacation.   I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on running during travel (be it pleasure or business).  I know when I was running years ago, I took my shoes to Hawaii with me and never put them on...

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    1. Sep 10, 2011 1:03 PM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)
    Re: Do you run when traveling?

I travel quite a bit for business and run regularly when I'm on the road.  The key is blocking the time to do it in your schedule.  If you are doing C25K, just explain what you are doing to your family and tell them that it's important to you. 

The good thing about C25K is that it can easily be done on the treadmill.  I'd check ahead to see what kind of exercise equipment your hotel has and when it is available.  Many good hotels allow 24 hour access to their gyms, which makes it easier to squeeze in a workout.

You might also ask the front desk or the concierge if they can recommend any running routes.  A GPS watch is a good piece of equipment to have if you are traveling, since it can tell you exactly how far and how fast you ran, even if you don't know the area.  In a pinch, most models can help you navigate back to your starting point, if you get lost.

Here are a few posts that I wrote that might help you.  Have a great trip.

On the Road? Get a Handheld Running Route Map for Your Location

Traveling? How to Find More Handheld Running Route Maps

How to Run Safely in a Foreign Country

On the Road? Find a Running Trail and Explore!

How to Find a “Drinking Club with a Running Problem” Near You

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    2. Sep 11, 2011 5:38 AM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)

DH and I always run on our vacations and tend to enjoy those runs more than at home.   Our vacations are typically at the beach somewhere, and we are early birds so are up before 0600.  Makes running easy.  We're headed to Disney World in October and are really looking forward to running there.  Its only 30-60 minutes out of our day, and helps keep us focused on eating a little healtier than we would without the running.

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    3. Sep 11, 2011 1:00 PM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)

+1 to what the previous posters mentioned - especially the point about blocking the time in your schedule. By the way, there is a big difference between being ABLE to run and being WILLING to run. If necessary, negotiate in advance with your family about a time for running that fits your schedule and family's schedule best - and do your best to stick to it. Just one caveat about timing: If you're using a hotel gym, they tend to be most crowded in the early morning (between about 6 AM and 7:30 AM). If you can't get on a treadmill because they're all taken and/or people are hogging them, get on an elliptical or other crosstraining equipment - whatever it takes to get your aerobic workout done.

I also travel a fair amount for business and ALWAYS bring my running gear with me. Often I have to put in 13 or 14 hour days on travel (like 8 AM till 10 PM, including lunch and dinner meetings) and blocking some time for running keeps me sane. For me it has to be in the early morning or it will not get done. As for running while on vacation, I will always bring workout gear, although whether I run depends on what other physical activities are in the plan. Often I do a lot of hiking or biking on vacation, in which case running can slide for a week. But if it's an otherwise sedentary vacation, then will definitely make the time to run.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• RunningQueen26 Expert 43 posts since
    Aug 3, 2011
    4. Sep 11, 2011 7:33 PM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)

I did when was on the C25K program.  I think I was around week 3.  My favorite run was on vacation.  I just made the block around the hotel.  The weather was great. (Left hot Texas weather for nice and cool Washington State weather)  I did skip a run in place of all the walking I did one day.

Started C25K - June 17, 2011

Completed C25K - August 21, 2011

First 5K: September 17, 2011 (Wipe Out Kids’ Cancer Oktoberfest Run) - 34:44 (avg 11:10 a mile)

Best 5K run in 2011 - 10/24/11 - 30:34 (avg 9:51 a mile)

October 29, 2011 (Trek or Treat 5K) - 31:56 (avg 10:14 a mile)

Personal Record - 1/29/12 - 5K - 28:27 (avg 9:12 a mile)

March 3, 2012 (Allen Eagle Run 5K) - 31:20 (avg 10:06 a mile)

March 31, 2012 (Firefly Run 5K) - 31:15 (avg 10:01 a mile)

August 12, 2012 (Hottest Half 10K) - 1:13:18 (avg 11:48 a mile)

October 27, 2012 (Dallas 13.1 Marathon) - 2:41:36 (avg 12:20 a mile)

November 22, 2012 (Dallas Turkey Trot 8 miles) - 1:33:08 (avg 11:38 a mile)

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    6. Sep 12, 2011 9:09 AM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)

I always run on my vacations and work trips, I just find it's better for me to keep my routine. 

• Shellerina Expert 47 posts since
    Oct 21, 2008
    7. Sep 12, 2011 4:15 PM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)

I LOVE to run on vacation - it seems like the run goes faster when you aren't on your normal route. Even if you don't do as many runs as you would have that week at home, you'll be so proud of yourself for getting out there a couple of days. And it is a fun way to experience up close a bit of the atmosphere of the city you are visiting. If you don't have a Garmin, you can map out a course on MapMyRun or USATF web site. Or just carry your cell phone, run one direction for 15 minutes and turn around and head back. If you get up and out the door early enough, it shouldn't cut into your vacation day too much.

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    8. Sep 12, 2011 6:18 PM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)

+1 to Shellerina.  I always look out for the chance to run in new places.  It's more exciting and always worth the effort.  I found a range of excellent choices for routes on my vacation last August near Lenox, Mass. using MapMyRun.  It was pretty easy to use.  For runs to match your C25K schedule, you shouldn't have to look too hard.  Your toughest job might just be to pick one from among your choices.  You can do it!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• 6xchampsfan Pro 184 posts since
    Jul 4, 2011
    9. Sep 16, 2011 4:16 PM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)

I just got back today from a cruise to Bermuda followed by a couple days in New York city. I ran in the gym on the ship, on the beach in Bermuda, and in central park in New York city. The last two were awsome. The beach was beautiful and I wish I could have ran longer but did't want to take too much time from my time with my wife. My run in the park was really a fun experience. Coming from a small town in Pa. I couldn't believe how many runners were out there at 6 am on a friday morning. I've run some local races that had less people. It is great that New Yorkers have such a great place to exercise. My point is to take advantage of chances to run in different places with different people. I find most times they are my best runs and I love meeting and talking to runners from other places. I always run when it takes the least time away from wife. After all it is her vacation too but compermise has worked for us for 27 years now. So take those running shoes with you and enjoy new experiences.

• ChubbyRunrGrl Amateur 31 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    11. Sep 20, 2011 2:09 PM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)

I have struggled with this as well. I always pack my workout gear. I try to be reasonable - and look at the reason for travel. If it's leisure, I tell myself working out should be a part of my leisure life and try to work out at least every other day. I was in San Diego earlier this year and the weather was just so beautiful that I had no trouble working out all but one day that I was there. The first day I had some time to kill, so as soon as I checked into the hotel, I immediately changed and found the gym and got in a run. The day I didn't work out was the last day, with packing and getting to the airport and saying goodbye to my friends, I didn't want to spend the time. Plus, I was hand-washing my running clothes and they needed time to dry before I packed them.

Recently I was in Tampa for a week for work. Spending 8 hours in training, I was tired every day and didn't push it. The hotel had no workout room and wasn't in a very good location for me to run alone outside before dark, so I did my best to visit the pool a couple of times and make wise food choices knowing I wasn't getting the calorie burn I typically do in a week.

I'll be going to Mexico leisurely soon, and I keep pondering this question. But it's leisurely and all inclusive, so my best bet is to get up early every day and just do it! Fortunately, I'm not a big drinker so I won't be taking in a bunch of alcoholic calories!

This is kind of silly but one thing I do when I travel is make all of my leisure/sightseeing/casual clothing the same as my workout gear. So, instead of khakis or jeans, I wear workout shirts, shorts, bra and pants, jacket, etc. Just being in this "sporty" look the whole time, I feel sporty and tend want to walk or move more than if I'm wearing stiff shoes or heels and dresses.  When I get back to the hotel, I have no reason not to head right to the gym or out for a run or walk. It doesn't always happen, but this is just my little mental thing I do to keep me in an active mode.

Runner since 2009.

I used to run to get faster, but got tired of pushing it, panting and feeling disappointed.

Now I run to relax and enjoy, around a 12:30 - 13:00 average pace.

Starting to get into trail running - way slower, but highly enjoyable.

Try to run 15-20mi per week and spin 4-7 times per week.

Best race paces:

1 mile - 10:12

5K - 11:34

4mi - 11:32

10K - 11:15

Half Marathon - 13:20

I wear New Balance running gear (they have many choices in XXL, size 18).

I wear Moving Comfort heavy duty bras.

I wear New Balance 769/760/860 for stability and cushion.

I wear New Balance 904 for trails.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 575 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    12. Sep 25, 2011 4:39 PM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)

I always run on vacation because I think it's a great way to see things that you normally wouldn't be able to see! But I don't run as much - just a few runs to stay in shape.

I wrote a guide on this topic after my honeymoon in Hawaii called "How to Stay Fit on Vacation: A Simple Guide to Maintaining Your Fitness While You're Sipping Cocktails" Okay, it's a long name, but I had fun with it   I give it away to all my subscribers if you're interested --> Strength Running Newsletter.

But essentially, you'll want to do a balance of easy, medium, and fast workouts - all of them shortened so you're not working out for too long. Vacations are supposed to be relaxing and fun, after all.

Cheers,

- Jason.

Strength Running
  • wildfreightess Amateur 23 posts since
    Jun 6, 2006
    13. Sep 27, 2011 5:52 PM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)

By the time I read your post, you've probably already gone on vacation and come back!  I am an airline pilot - if I didn't run when I traveled, I wouldn't run at all!! Most hotels offer a fitness center, or can point you in a direction to go outside where you won't be mugged.  All it takes is a little planning and getting your mind right. Surely you can set aside 30 minutes to go for a run? Good luck and keep up the good work.

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    14. Sep 27, 2011 7:48 PM (in response to PlumeriaTattoo)

I always run on vacation (at least once) and all the time when I travel for business. I agree with JasonFitz1. By running while in a different country or a different city, you tend to see things that you probably wouldn't have seen while out and about with your family. I also find it to be more relaxing and unrestricting. At home, I look at everything I do as part of my 'daily schedule'. But when you're away, you're more free!

I made a point to run when I was in Berlin last year and it was amazing. The weather was unforgettable. I ran on the cruise ship while on my first cruise some years ago. So grab your shoes and get goin!

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

====================================

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...