Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1026 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2011 1:13 PM by Susan Adele
Susan Adele Amateur 14 posts since
Nov 11, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 11, 2011 6:54 AM

Knee pain/ART?

I am 61, have been running (just 3 miles, 3 times a week) for over 30 years.  I have flat feet, and wear custom orthotics that I got after a bad bout of plantar faciitis about 15 years ago.  No health problems.  I also do resistance training twice a week with a trainer, and soft yoga 2 times a week.  I love running, and have no desire to go behind this minimal mileage. 

In June, I experienced pain below my left kneecap.   The only other time my knee hurts is coming out of a quad stretch.  Otherwise, in regular life, even up and down stairs, my knee is fine.  But....every time I run (after being off 2-4 weeks each time), the knee pain starts up again after only 20 or so steps.  I've been doing the Yoga for Healthy Knees program (book), and have started supplements (Celadrin, Move Free Advanced, Merocola's Joint formula).  But no change. Last time I tried to run was Labor Day.

A local running store had a free, 15-min consult with a chiropractor who does Active Release Technique, and he said I have adhesions in my left quad, that ART will get rid of, and will get me back to running.  As a demo, he massaged each quad, and the left had pain, while the right felt the pressure, but no pain.  I decided to try this, and my first appt is Sept 19.  Has anyone else had this problem and used ART?  Was it helpful?  Any other advice for me?  I miss running!

• runsinmiddleofnowhere Amateur 36 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 11, 2011 3:28 PM (in response to Susan Adele)
    Knee pain/ART?

Hi Susan, I've not had a problem with knee pain but every so often a weird pain pops up out of nowhere, like an inside right thigh pain this week and after my run yesterday I had a recurring pain come up again deep inside the back of the right thigh that goes down to my knee...I just keep doing my stretches and yoga workouts to get rid of it and another little workout 15 min. program that I do called T-Tapp...  I've never undergone Active Release Technique but a chiropractor did myofascial release treatments for me and it helped some years ago.  I'm 57 and I'm beginning to think that these pains that come and go are just part of being physically active at this age.  I'm doing similar distances to what you're doing at 3.5 miles about four times a week, I have a 10K in four weeks and am doing the Galloway walk/run training (which I have only done two runs with and love it).  I'm taking hefty doses of seed oils to help with joint lubrication...I'm so sore after my runs I only run every other day but I keep thinking that if I went out every day the soreness would get easier...My goal is to be more consistent and I'm hoping my body will adjust.  I hope the ART works out for you and you can continue to run!

Completed:

Spring into Action 5k, 3-20-11, Sparks, NV

Rock 'n River Marathon, 10k, 5-1-11, Reno, NV

Paiute Meadows 8k Trail Run, 5-21-11, Susanville, CA

Bizz Johnson 10k, 10-9-11, Susanville, CA

Right now just run for the 'zen' of it.....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points