Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

681 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 13, 2011 6:38 PM by chr1svee RSS
Kpoulelis Amateur 34 posts since
Sep 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 13, 2011 1:31 PM

week 8 of C25K and falling apart!  Help!

Hi, everyone!  I just completed w8d1 today which is 28 minutes of jogging (I did 2.5 miles uninterrupted jogging in the 28 mins).  Last week on w7d3, I had a pain in my right foot on outside/top.  I wrapped it the rest of the day and have been fine until after I ran again today.  I have had left hip pain for the last week and today's run my inner thighs/groin are so sore already that it is a bit uncomfortable to walk or get up.  Is this common at this point of the program?  I was a bit sore the first couple of weeks but nothing like this, and until last week, I haven't had any pain.  I'm a new runner with new shoes.  I do a 5 minute warm up walk and usually stretch after I'm done.  What can I do to help these issues on my off days?  Thanks!

C25k start: July 26, 2011

C25K finish: September 23, 2011

1st 5k: October 15, 201100--The Fast and Furriest 5k: 37:25

2nd 5k: November 26, 2011

• chr1svee Pro 96 posts since
    Apr 17, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 13, 2011 6:38 PM (in response to Kpoulelis)
    week 8 of C25K and falling apart! Help!

I did have the experience of having aches and pains increase as I progressed further into the program. In fact, when I finished, I took a week off from running entirely to give myself some rest.  I'm in my mid40s, so my body needed some time to adjust to the activity!

I'm not sure I can help much to figure out the pain other than to say that if it's pain rather than discomfort, that may be a sign to take a break.

The side stitch may be caused by shallow breathing.

In terms of the muscle soreness/discomfort, try incorporating some yoga on off days and/or use a foam roller -- I find that the roller in particular really helps me with muscle soreness.  I have one that is 3 feet long, 6 inches in diameter. I use it several times a week on quads, hamstrings, IT band, calves, etc. In particular, I found that I had some really deep muscle soreness in my calves that was causing some pain in my Achilles tendon/PF.

I hope this helps!

C25K started on 06/19/11 and completed on 08/22/11!

8/6/11 -- Inaugural Harrisburg Hydro 5k Walk/Run (not timed)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points