Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

993 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2011 7:32 PM by SarahP321 RSS
SarahP321 Amateur 11 posts since
Aug 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 12, 2011 11:17 PM

week 5 slow-down

Hi there newbies and experience runners who kindly offer thoughts to us new runners,

I breezed through weeks 1-4 and thought i was the bomb because I had no previous running training or experience (except in my imagination). I've completed week 5, which calls for (and I go by time, not by distance because I'm in San Francisco and the hills just make distance too confusing to calculate):

5 minute brisk walk as a warm up

5 min run

3 min walk

5 min run

3 min walk

5 min run

The program calls for this to be completed 3 non-consecutive days in a week. here's what my week looked like:

Day 1

5 min warm up (obviously I killed this, no problem)

2.5 min run (oops)

3 min walk

5 min run

3 min walk

5 min run

Day 2

5 min warm up (seriously, am I good or what?!)

2.5 min run (again.)

3 min walk

2 min run

2.5 min walk

3 min run

2.5 min walk (frustrated, I stopped)

Day 3

5 min warm up (you wish you were me)

2.5 min run (really? again with this? yes.)

2.5 min walk

repeated for a total of 23.18 minutes

Anyone know why the plateau or if there is anything I should do or should not do? I'm going to continue the program for week 5 until I complete it 3x in one week. Just wondering if anyone else had this experience.

Thanks!

Sarah

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Sep 13, 2011 2:11 AM (in response to SarahP321)
    week 5 slow-down

Hi Sarah - Congrats on your progress through the first four weeks of the program. I'm a little confused by your post, though. You seem to have posted the week 5, day 1 (W5D1) workout, but the W5D2 and W5D3 workouts are quite a bit different:

W5D2: 5 minute warmup, 8 minute run, 5 minute walk, 8 minute run

W5D3: 5 minute warmup, 20 minute run (this is the workout that scares the tar out of most folks)

On to your question. You mentioned that you're running in San Francisco, with lots of hills. Are you trying to maintain a steady pace on your runs? You probably should run by perceived effort rather than by pace, particularly when you hit hills. It's okay to slow down when you hit hills, as long as you don't reduce your effort. In general, you should be trying to maintain an aerobic pace, which will let you speak (or sing, if that's your thing) in short sentences while you run (about 6-10 words is a good guideline).

What's causing you to cut short your runs? Is it fatigue? Pain? Do you just feel like not running any more? Are you using a podcast or smartphone app to help you track intervals (and give you something to listen to when you're running)?

If you're really struggling, I'd suggest going back to week four. Otherwise, maybe take an extra day off before trying the workout again. (You won't lose fitness with one extra day off, I promise.)

Are you experiencing stresses in your life? Eating differently? Sleeping enough/soundly? Are you adequately hydrated before you run? How are the temperatures?

As you can imagine, there are quite a few factors that might affect your run. Don't let it get you down. You'll get there. Stick with it!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• LoriKre Pro 83 posts since
    May 16, 2011
    3. Sep 13, 2011 3:37 PM (in response to SarahP321)
    week 5 slow-down

Hi Sarah,

What you are going through is exactly what happened to me.  I worked my way all the way up to week 5 day 3 and completed the 20 minute run, then when I tried week 6, it was like I hit a wall.  I had no energy and could not complete a run.  Now, this was back about 4 weeks ago when the weather was much hotter and more humid.  So what I did was back track to weeks 3 and 4 and just kept repeating them over and over again to strengthen myself.  I also added in some core training on the off days, with crunches and pushups.  I repeated week 5 day 1 and 2 several times over the past 2 weeks and now I'm getting ready to run the dreaded day 3 for 20 minutes tonight.  Although the weather is much better now, I'm going to run this on the treadmill so I can control my pace better.  I seem to run much slower on the treadmill than I do outside.  If all goes well, I'm going to repeat that 20 min run 3 times this week, and then move it outside.  I run either on the road or at our high school cross country course when I run outside and both are challenging.  The cross country course is very hilly and you have to watch your step due to the uneven ground and other obsticles.

So basically, I figured any running that I was able to do, was better than the couch potato that I had been all my life, so I just kept at it.  Don't give up, you have to just keep running and your body will become stronger and stronger every day. 

Good luck and keep running.

Lori

C25K Started 5-16-11 quit due to injury. Re-starting C25K 6-4-12

1st 5K - 7-30-11 Completed-4H 5K-Brown County Fairgrounds-49:36-walked with some jogs added in

• LoriKre Pro 83 posts since
    May 16, 2011
    4. Sep 13, 2011 4:57 PM (in response to LoriKre)
    week 5 slow-down

W5D3-I got through it.  I wanted to stop at about the 5 minute mark, but I kept on going.  I'm still going to repeat the 20 min run on the treadmill at least once more before trying it outside.

Sarah, are you running on a treadmill, because my shoulders seem to tense up alot from holding onto the treatmill.  I haven't mastered running without hanging on yet.  I tripped on my I-pod cord a while back and came really close to wiping out on the treadmill and I've been gunshy about letting go every since.  I also read that if you lean forward a little bit when you run, that will ease the tension on the shoulders as well.

Please post back and let us know how you do. 

Good Luck,

Lori

C25K Started 5-16-11 quit due to injury. Re-starting C25K 6-4-12

1st 5K - 7-30-11 Completed-4H 5K-Brown County Fairgrounds-49:36-walked with some jogs added in

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...