Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7615 Views 38 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2011 7:30 AM by BradenMommyof5 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • BradenMommyof5 Pro 176 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Sep 4, 2011 11:20 PM (in response to LittleEvo)
    Re: This mommy started C25K 8/15/11 Will it last?

Sounds like a good week for everyone!  Great job to those of you getting over the week 5 hump...that one is TOUGH, but it's amazing when you do it! I'm a little worried about it, but I keep telling myself "one day at a time".

I finished W1D2 today, and though it went well, the achy knees are setting in.  I'm not too worried.  The first time I did c25 I had about 3 weeks of LOTS of aches and pains, but eventually it subsided and things evened out.  This week has been beautiful for running, and though I'm NOT a morning person by any stretch of the imagination, I'm enjoying getting out right at sunrise, feeling the slight bite in the cool air, seeing the quiet neighborhoods, watching the sun rise.

Have a great weekend, everyone! 

Jenn

Jenn / BradenMommyof5

<//><

• LittleEvo Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    32. Sep 7, 2011 5:47 AM (in response to mommymudd)
    Re: This mommy started C25K 8/15/11 Will it last?
    Week 4 Run 2 completed! In my last two runs I have had my treadmill incline on 2 and have noticed I usually have a bit of pain on the outside of my left foot but these last two runs have not had any whatsoever. I also am still struggling through the last five minute run and have to keep telling myself I can run for three minutes easy and then it's only two minutes after that and I can run that too. And then I start dividing it into seconds saying'' just sixty more seconds and you can slow down.'' lol  I really do wish I could turn my brain off while I run! Also I think I am going to have to cover my timer on the treadmill as I found myself sneaking peeks at it despite telling myself not to look!
    Aug 17, 2011
    33. Sep 10, 2011 3:35 AM (in response to LittleEvo)
    This mommy started C25K 8/15/11 Will it last?

Well yesterday I completed Week 4 Run 3 and was really really proud as I realised I have been doing this for a month now and still at it! In my last five minute run I pushed myself and ran a bit faster and you know what it felt even better than the lower pace I was running at strangely enough. And like you mommymudd I think once I complete this round of the C25k I will start all over again at a quicker pace!

Jan 4, 2010
    34. Sep 10, 2011 9:01 PM (in response to LittleEvo)

Had a bit of a setback...my hubby was gone for 5 days at a conference and I was WAY to busy to get my runs in!

Hoping to jump back into c25k and start Week 2 tomorrow.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jenn / BradenMommyof5

<//><

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    35. Sep 11, 2011 9:36 PM (in response to BradenMommyof5)

Sorry I disappeared, when the site went down I lose my momentum on this site.  But I'm all caught up and glad to hear you gals are still going strong!   Please don't worry about how fast you run.  All the running experts say to focus on endurance first (how long (as in time, not distance) you can run and only when you have built up a solid base do you think about speed.  For me, though, I'm fine with being slow, as long as I can do longer and longer distances.  I have heard sprint intervals increase your overall speed though so maybe rather than repeating c25k when you're done you can add sprint intervals to your runs. 

I finally met my match with c25k W6/D2.  It's two 10 minute runs with a 3 minute walk.  I had to take a break after 5 minutes during the second run. I thought I'd have to walk the rest but after three minutes I was able to run again for 5 minutes.  The issue was a cramp forming in the bottom of my foot that made me nervous I might fall.  It was weird and I hope it doesn't happen again.  I just read a thing on avoiding cramps and the #1 tip was Stay Hydrated - I know I haven't been drinking enough water.

My runs have been feeling hard lately and I know one problem is I go to the gym sometimes after 4+ hours with no food.  I came across this article today:

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/To-Eat-or-Not-to-Eat-Pre-Workout.htm?cmp=17-7-1248

and I know what it says is true it's just that my day gets going sometimes and I get busy and next thing you know I have to go to the gym.  If I were home I'd just grab a snack but it's harder at work.  I put some AccelGels in my gym bag so now at least when this happens I can put something in my stomach on those days.  Too bad the lack of eating doesn't last through the evening

I finally did an outside run today, Week 6/Day 3. I couldn't stand the thought of 26 minutes on the treadmill.  It was a beautiful day and my run was so good!  I will go ahead and repeat Week 6 next week.  After this week they'll be no more walk breaks. 

My eating hasn't been so good.  After losing 2 pounds the week before last I gained this past week.  It was my daughters birthday party and a lot of social (eating out) stuff that got me.  I'm feeling motivated again and I want to make that gain disappear! 

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

Aug 17, 2011
    36. Sep 11, 2011 11:10 PM (in response to Mikala_SF)

Week 5 Run 1 sorted! I find I am doing so much better now that I have covered up my timer! lol I also liked the fact I was told on the podcast when I was halfway through a five minute run and then when I had a minute left after each five minutes because when I felt myself lagging I told myself I could do another sixty seconds or two and a half minutes. lol  And no soreness whatsoever either! I just feel really chirpy and proud of myself. I just feel really motivated to keep on going.

Aug 17, 2011
    37. Sep 13, 2011 11:01 PM (in response to LittleEvo)

Week 5 Run 2 finished, although the last sixty seconds seemed to last a lot longer than a minute!  Also I have noticed my head seems to be trying to talk myself into slowing down even when my legs and the rest of my body feels fine. If only I could turn my brain off! lol

Jan 4, 2010
    38. Sep 14, 2011 7:30 AM (in response to LittleEvo)

Nice work, Evo!  Isn't is awesome to get over that hump and actually ENJOY running?  I'm not there yet, ugh, but hopefully I will be soon!

Mikala - hang in there.  The last couple weeks of c25k can be hard.  I try and play little mind games, for instance, when I feel like stopping, I'll tell myself something like "okay, I'll stop at THAT spot up ahead", and when I get to that point, give myself another spot to run to.  It doesn't work everytime, but sometimes you can get another minute or two out of your body.  Also-if those cramps show up again, do some research on running form.  You're running for long enough periods know that if you do have a quirk in your running form, you'd start to feel it. I found some great articles on about.com when I searched for "proper running form".

I completed W2D2 today and am a little discouraged by the knee pain I'm feeling.  I try and do "Chi Running" which is a technique designed to eliminate pain, especially chronic aches and pains.  I think I need to go back and read the book because my inner knees are sore to the touch and they just ache.  I experienced some of this last year when I started running, so I know some of it comes with the territory of being a "newbie".  I also had a baby four months ago and am wondering if my ligaments are still loose (I hear that can take up to 6 month to be normal again).  I don't know.  *sigh*  I can't diet, and I eat like crap so I feel like running is my saving grace. I've already gained 10 lbs after having my baby, and I really don't want to creep back up to 200 lbs again.  *another sigh*

Ah well, so it goes. On a brighter note, I'm running WAY faster than I did when I started c25k for thve first time in 2010!  In 2010 I was stuck at an 11 minute mile for MONTHS, and it was a HUGE deal if I ever made it under 10 min per mile.  Using active.com's route tracker, I've been timing/tracking my first and last intervals.  I've been averaging about a 9 minute mile, and haven't gone over a 10 min mile!!!!!  I'm pretty good at keeping a pace once a start-20+ years of playing piano with a metronome, so keeping pace is pretty easy and steady.  Anyway, that's one bright spot, I guess.

Whew-gotta get my day doing.  Hope you all have a great rest of your week!

Jenn / BradenMommyof5

<//><

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points