Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

25930 Views 74 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 10:36 PM by Designeer RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • pixey Amateur 28 posts since
    Aug 18, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    60. Mar 9, 2011 6:43 AM (in response to Designeer)
    Re: Prolotherapy Cure for Morton's Neuroma

Designeer:

Hi.  Sorry I haven't posted in a while.  But glad to hear that you are continuing to have success with prolotherapy.  I have held off, but actually getting closer to trying prolo probably to be scheduled in the next 2-4 weeks.  I wanted to give PT a chance to work and it has helped.  But just not healed all the way yet.  I finally got my mileage back to my current level wearing something called an SI belt (support for the hip).  So now my PT and I are just trying for a couple more weeks to see if PT will help me while running. I'm not optimistic that I will get full resolution through PT.  Prolo will be my next step.

I think I'm going to go to Linetsky.  Do you think any docs in S. Florida are so good that worth a drive from Orlando?  I have finally gotten over the issue with the flight and Dr. Hauser (think I could handle that), but if I need 4-6 series of shots, I don't think we could afford the approximately 2K (including flight) per round, plus there is some question in my case re whether the center of my low back is causing the problem, or both hips.  I think in the end the doc will have to try giving me shots into both areas, even with someone like Dr. H (with lots of experience) because I have perplexed some pretty experienced docs/PTs already.  And read enough on my own to know that they probably can't know for sure without experimenting (basically it's impossible to know the source of the pain unless a surgeon goes in with a knife).  So that means that Dr. H would change potentially for both hips and SI joint, making it a very expensive endeavor.  So staying in Fl makes the most financial sense.

Also, is there any way that you could post links to all of the docs whose websites you think are good and/or who have newsletters to which you have subscribed?  Besides my own injury, I'm also very interested in whether prolo helps arthritis b/c my husband has hip arthritis.  He used to be a very active runner but had to stop a few years ago.

Thanks and good luck on your continued progress!

• IrishApril Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 20, 2011
    61. Mar 9, 2011 12:10 PM (in response to Designeer)

Designeer, what was your experience with going from Dr. H in Chicago to a more local prolo doc?  Are you just as happy with the result?

Even though prolo is still less costly than surgery, it's still pricey and it's out of pocket because insurance won't cover it.

It seems like the results for you, from your posts, have been very effective.  I just don't think I can manage going to Chicago every 4-5 weeks either economically or schedule wise.

Thanks,

April

• IrishApril Rookie 6 posts since
    Feb 20, 2011
    64. May 24, 2011 5:55 PM (in response to Designeer)

Hi Designeer,

It's been a while since my last post.  I have decided to go to Dr. H in Chicago for treatment.  I am attempting first however to take off some weight to see how this helps my MN.  My MN is stabilized because of the fact I only wear extra wide sneakers or flats now, but I am looking forward to having "young" feet again after prolo.

When you went for your treatments, are the injections quick and over with or extremely painful?  I just want to know how many injections, on average and the pain scale.  I have to admit I am kind of a pansy when it comes to needles.  However, if the payoff is no more neuroma, I'll deal with it!

Thanks,

April

• FrankIV Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 11, 2011
    66. Jun 11, 2011 12:33 PM (in response to Designeer)

I'm interested in learing as much about how you cured your Morton's Neuroma problem as you can tell me. I have had it for nearly two years, and it's driving me crazy. It goes from being fairly mild, when I don't put much stress on my foot, to hurting a lot when I play tennis or ski. It's the pounding of my foot that really aggravates the problem.

In the last two years, I have tried many things included in which are better walking shoes, padding in my shoes, special inserts in my shoes, cortisone shots, and acupuncture. Nothing has really worked. Some of these things help, but the problem hasn't gone away.This seems to be one of the most frustrating things about the problem. There seems to be no surefire cure. I am really nervous about surgery because I have read that there's a solid chance it can make things worse.

I have heard about prolotherapy from looking at verious websites. There isn't a whole lot of information about prolotherapy as a cure for MN. Is there a reason for that? Or is it just that the prolotherapy is so new or rare a treatment that there aren't many people out talking about it so far?

If it's really a reliable cure, I'd like to know because I would seriously consider seeing someone who can treat this problem of mine.

• valmarie1 Expert 44 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    70. Jul 9, 2011 12:56 PM (in response to Designeer)

I thought I was going to have to do something for a neuroma that nearly made me quit running last year.  Then I noticed after a walk on the beach I had no pain even on concrete barefoot.  Interesting.  Got me thinking!  So I looked into barefoot running so I could see what could be done about form assuming my musculature was causing a collapse in the arches and then pinching the nerve.  So the quest began.  I ran on the treadmill barefooted and felt fine.  Then a friend lent me her VFFs and I had my first PAIN FREE 5k a week later and it felt incredible.  That was a year ago.  I now run only in the Vibrams and can wear most of my old heeled shoes again without much problem.  Every once in a while I'll get the shock and tingle but it doesn't last.  Sometimes before putting the shoes on I have to stop and do some foot stretching and that seems to help.  If I put on my old Asics, the pain comes right back.  Put on the Vibrams and I feel great.  Something about the way it separates the toes I think?  Anyways, point being I think MN can be caused by so many factors and I urge sufferers to try the barefoot method and see what happens before going to expensive appts.  I don't think that will work for everyone though and in that case I totally would look into this method before surgery.

Thanks for all the info!

Running in honor of those that can't....and with vision that one day my son will run alongside me.

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,145 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    73. Mar 23, 2012 7:05 PM (in response to Designeer)
    Prolotherapy Cure for Morton's Neuroma

Hello Designeer. It is easy to find your popular threads. Simply mouse over your avatar for a list of threads you have contributed to, ranked by popularity. Since the thread has been dormant a while, a primer:

Although I have stated it in previous posts. The link between the "Morton Foot" or "Morton Toe" and the so-called "Morton's Neuroma" is not direct. They are even named for different Mortons in different centuries, Dudley (20th) and Thomas ( G&K, 19th) respectively.

The etiological link between the conditions is assumed to be excess motion or hypermobility, sometimes caused by the Morton Foot structure (hypermobile or short 1st metatarsal bone vs. 2nd) (which I believe you indicated was likely in your case) and a resulting thickening or encasement of intra-metatarsal nerve tissue, or "perineural fibrosis" mistakenly called a "neuroma" by pop med, which may or may not occur, depending on bone shape, characteristics of ligaments and other genetic traits. There have been attempts to link development of "MN" to narrow footwear or raised heels, but these links need further substantiation.

I understand you have had your "MN" condition treated by Prolotherapy.

For those new to this thread, "Prolo" as it is often called, injects various adjuvant solutions into tissues to provoke an inflammatory response from the immune system, the desired result being a toughening or rebuilding of tissue that may have been in disrepair. Prolo's advantage is that it does not depend on random chance or an over-active immune system to accomplish this result. For the chemically averse, even sugar water has been used in Prolo treatments with satisfactory results. The treatment is minimally invasive and relatively inexpensive.

I'll now hand the show back to you...?

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...