Skip navigation

1655 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 11:02 AM by Swim43 RSS
Swim43 Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 10, 2011 11:02 AM

Severe leg pain while swimming

I am not sure if anyone has read this thread but I thought I would update.  I have seen and orthopedic twice now receiving a cordisone shot in my knee which did little and I just finished a week of prednisone which did even less to releave the pain issues in my left leg.  I have also gone to a physical therapist countless times for deep tissue massages. The general consciences is that I have tendontis in my ankle, knee and possibly my hip from overuse.  The physical therapist seems to think it has to do with muscle tightness in my upper thigh/glut.  I was told to try to run a few miles recently to see how I progessed and I could only make a couple blocks before I was in severe pain and I could hardly move the next day.

I am streatching and iceing every day.  I now only swim and try not to kick much.  The power in my left leg on my turns is about 60 percent. I have no swelling or bruising in my leg and now I can walk slow ok except for the first three or so steps which is very painful.  This problem is now over a month old with very little if any progess after weeks things like a cortisone shot, prednisone, deep tissue massages, ultrasound therapy, daily streaching and icing, and cutting back activities to only modified swimming.

Any ideas on what going on??

Original post:

Recently I have been experiencing leg pain while swimming. The pain starts at my ankle and shoots up my leg. Sometimes the pain goes up to my hip -I've had cramps and this in NOT a crap. I feel pain when I turn off the wall but even more when I butterfly kick on my back. This pain started after I ran a pretty fast 5k race. The day after the race, I swam a 5k event in long course meters and that is when I first noticed this while swimming. I have stopped running and I feel very little leg pain other than when I swim. This morning I swam a fairly difficult work out, around 4500 yards with several fast interval sets. At the end of the workout, we raced a 200 off the blocks. I didn't hurt until that bad until I got out. Then I felt a horrible stabbing pain all up my leg, almost as like what I imagine a stress fracture would feel like and I could only limp. However, an hour later the pain went almost entirely away. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on with me?

I am in pretty good shape and I swim 6 to 8 times a week usually averaging 20k to 30k yards a week. I am 43 years old.

Message was edited by: David

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points