Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

63799 Views 431 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2011 4:07 PM by mkayc Go to original post 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 Previous Next
  • LoriKre Pro 83 posts since
    May 16, 2011

Joanna,

Very well said,  we've all come a long way from the couch potatoes we once were.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Lori

C25K Started 5-16-11 quit due to injury. Re-starting C25K 6-4-12

1st 5K - 7-30-11 Completed-4H 5K-Brown County Fairgrounds-49:36-walked with some jogs added in

• Llamedos Expert 50 posts since
    May 27, 2011

Yay Joanna!

you have got it absolutely right. I was in a similar jam and by doing too much, got injured and laid up for three weeks. I have now started back, slowly, but what has changed is my attiude. Before, I was a slave to C25K (- granted,  its how I needed to be, in order to get through it- ) but now I am using the Podrunner Freeway to 10K programme and its great. I don't have to do it every day, and I have actually gone out with the intention of doing the required intervals, but wound up just running a 2 mile stretch instead. Its all good, as long as you're out there. (and I HATE INTERVALS!) I'll get to 10 K one day, but this is the point, I want to enjoy it and feel good and uplifted by what my body and I are doing together these days. If I make my body go through stuff it doesn't really want to, next time it wont - and I'm back where I started. Its a partnership thing - but in order for mind and body to work together, it has to be doable, so build up to things and you'll get there.

Mary Kay, I know, or think I know how its going for you, but listen to your body and maybe, as Joanna said, cut back a little. I recall writing on this thread about how I got through the twenty minutes at the end of W5 and you found it helped you. The same is still true, go out and look around you. Running trails must allow you to see wildlife or things you don't see in built up areas. Distract yourself and then see how far you have travelled. As for the regularity, in a week 3 times is good, 4 is great, but more than that is not good - not yet. Last week I only went out twice, due to weather and work, but I really enjoyed those two sessions - quality not quantity is what counts. Remember we haven't really been doing this running thing for that long, when you look at the bigger picture. Give it time, have patience, but above all, do it and as long as you are doing it, enjoy what you are doing.

Take care all, good running and have a great week end!

• DMac11 Amateur 33 posts since
    Jun 19, 2011

Good to "see" everybody again. Back and forth to my Mom's to help the parents but the great news is-lumpectomy got all the cancer, none in her lymph nodes. Its all good and we are very relieved.

I ran the first 5K today and won the 50+ age group! I can't say I actually saw any other 50+'s, however it may be that I was far ahead of them. My sweet husband ran it with me (a snails pace for him) and gave me a hat that reads "I run like a Girl Try and Keep Up.

I am pretty sore and that was my longest distance. I walked 10 paces 3 times to catch my breath.

I am signed up for the next one on Sept 24.

Pictures attached

Attachments:
  • mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011

Guys, I really wish I'd taken the time to read your posts before the race. I might have been a little more cautious at the Mudathlon. Joanna, you hit the nail on the head. I was overtraining without realizing. All I could remember was that my last runs were too short and kept trying for that great rush that I get from one long successful run. I think the problem was not having program milestones to measure against so nothing I did seemed to be enough because changes were, in my mind, too small. I went from running/walking ten miles a week to over sixteen miles last week and twelve miles the week before. Although I was able to add a fourth day without too much trouble. I totally lost perspective and was pressuring myself too much. Wanted to be able to run at least half of the race coming up but that's not going to happen.

Unfortunately, I fell over a cliff yesterday onto my back and probably won't be able to run for awhile. It was only four or five feet but fell into a creekbed of stones. Just my luck to find the only place that wasn't mud. Haven't been to the doctor yet because it's the weekend and I'm not in bad enough shape to call an ambulance and but there were moments. Just about any movement is a challenge. I worried at first this wouldn't heal but it is getting better so I hope to be back. In the meantime, I'm going to try working on bicycle and elliptical at the gym. Once I can get dressed and go.

Ironically, my Garmin 305 arrived yesterday and finishing the "race" totally removed my aversion to walking during the next race. I now know my resting heart rate. LLamedos, I will try your podcast when I come back. Love my tunz but I like techno too and I NEED the structure. When I do, I will be remembering everything you've all said about enjoying the journey. What was I thinking?

Deb, Congratulations!! on running your race so well! Love the pix! The news about your mother is wonderful. You have a lot to celebrate. What a good husband!

Attachments:

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

May 16, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    424. Aug 14, 2011 10:06 AM (in response to mkayc)
    Re: Starting C25K tomorrow 16th May - anyone joining me?

Oh Mary Kay, I'm so sorry you hurt yourself,  I'm sure with your spirit you'll be back to running in no time.  I absolutely love the photos,  it looks like it was a great time.  I can't wait to do a mudathon some day.

Deb, I'm so glad to hear all is well with your mother.  Wow what a great job on your race,  you wear that medal proudly.  Congrats.

Llamedos,  glad to hear from you again.  You've been missed.

I'm so glad people are posting pictures now.  It's so nice to put a face with the names.

Happy running.

Lori

1st 5K - 7-30-11 Completed-4H 5K-Brown County Fairgrounds-49:36-walked with some jogs added in

Jun 19, 2011
    425. Aug 14, 2011 10:27 AM (in response to mkayc)

MaryK_ I'm so concerned about your fall-I hope you are very diligent about checking it out with a Dr. Please take good care of yourself.

Love the picture! I haven't the courage to do a mudquest-maybe not for a while!

You look so cute!

DMac

Jun 19, 2011
    426. Aug 14, 2011 10:30 AM (in response to KMEBB)

It must have been so cool to be down in Yankee Stadium!! It sounds like it was a grueling 5K, though. Glad your husband had your back! It's nice to know that runners, too, take care of each other. What a nice experience it was to run in the 5K with others.

Very encouraging-I am generally a very solitary person. Even so, the spirit among runners was overall a nice experience.

Jun 19, 2011

Agreed. Everyone on this forum is an inspiration to me. I must always be reminded to ENJOY what I'm doing. Typically a workaholic, I can turn anything into a chore if I'm not mindful.

So far, I am really enjoying my successes.

DMac

• joannadnc Expert 48 posts since
    Jul 18, 2011

So, so sorry to hear about your fall, Mary Kay. The photo of you all muddy looks like you did have some fun times in there! Congratulations on finishing the race, and be kind to yourself as you heal.

Deb, very glad to hear the good news about your mom, and congratulations on your medal!! How exciting!! Good running everyone, and welcome back llemados!

--joanna

Jun 8, 2011

Deb, Lori, thanks for the good wishes. I'll be back soon. Really thought I'd hurt myself badly but Sunday I heard a pop like when you crack your knuckles and felt a huge jolt in my spine. After the pain, moving became a lot easier. I still have pain but I'll be running again. Best I can figure is that the fall forced a spinal disc protrusion which then self-corrected. A BIG OUCH and thank you!  My body is an amazing thing.  I worked with social security disability cases for many years and know these back issues well.  It is my greatest horror to have a debilitating back injury. They never go away and there seems to be no effective treatment. If I make it out of this with almost total healing and range of motion after a few weeks or months of pain, I am going to do something very special to celebrate my body.

One thing I will try to never again forget, thank you, Joanna, is that running should be fun and if it's not, I can change so it is.

Lori, I know it sounds crazy but I'm thinking seriously about next year's mudathlon but I'm only doing it if I can get a team of folks together who want to do it for the fun, not for the time. The teams that worked together were really enjoying themselves the most. Some were as small as three and some were huge. It was great to see. You and your son are welcome. I should be able to get a few folks from work to do it. Running-wise it was a lot easier than I thought and all the land obstacles had paths around. Kinda angry that my team ditched me and I didn't have the chance to enjoy sharing that experience.

Have some great runs out there this week!

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

May 16, 2011

I only did 1.5 miles tonight, I had to make an emergency bathroom break. LOL

Happy running everyone.

Lori

Jun 8, 2011
    431. Sep 17, 2011 4:07 PM (in response to Llamedos)
    Starting C25K tomorrow 16th May - anyone joining me?

llaemdos, don't know if you are still checking this but, if you are, I went back to your great advice for w5d3 to prepare for my 5k race tonight. It's at 9 pm. It sounded like a good idea during the heat wave in June when the days were longer. I am not sure I'll make it through this race without walking and that's my goal. The most likely thing that will stop me is self-doubt. I'm familiar with the course and run 3.1 mi. at least once already and run 45 nonstop at least once so there's no reason why I can't do this except that it's a gravel trail and in the dark and I get anxious very easily. Hope you went back to running after you healed or at least some activity that gives you satisfaction. I enjoyed staying in touch with all of you, got a lot of motivation from it and miss that.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points