Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

30020 Views 169 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 11:43 AM by huddyrunner Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next
  • runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    150. Sep 12, 2011 7:25 AM (in response to OshCat)
    Any other beginners over 40?

Oshcat I hear you on not having a good run day. Saturday I ended up walking and that was it and yesterday I felt so tired so I ended up staying home and not venturing out. I gave myself a day off.  Good luck on your 5k on saturday. You will do great.

I was repeating W4 runs last week because I am having problems running the 5 min parts. I decided not to look at my watch to see if I was keeping up with the time that is required for that week. I found without looking at my watch I did so much better. I actually completed the 5 min segments with no problem. I am proud of myself.

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• LoriKre Pro 83 posts since
    May 16, 2011
    151. Sep 13, 2011 5:56 PM (in response to runningangelinvt)

I have finally worked my way back up to W5D3 again and I finished it tonight on the treadmill.  I'm going to run it again on the treadmill and then run it outside just to make sure this time it wasn't a fluke. 

Lori

C25K Started 5-16-11 quit due to injury. Re-starting C25K 6-4-12

1st 5K - 7-30-11 Completed-4H 5K-Brown County Fairgrounds-49:36-walked with some jogs added in

• VAmama Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    152. Sep 18, 2011 6:18 PM (in response to Carla JV)
    Re: Any other beginners over 40?

Hi Everyone!  I'm a 64 year old newbie.  I've been briskly walking (my Border Collie) daily for several years, averaging about 45 minutes per day.  I started the C25K on August 15 and tomorrow I'll be on W5D2.  I average around 13 mpm.  I've been physically active for most of my life, and while I'll likely never want to run a 5K, I do enjoy the running (as does my dog!), and just want to stay active. 

Question for you:  I run/walk on a lovely dirt loop trail that's a total of about 4 miles., using the C25K ap on my iPhobe.   I'd like your advice on how to handle my remaining time on the trail after I've completed the day's program.  Most of the time I've been running/walking some more until nearing the end, then doing my cool down.  Once in a while I just walk the rest of the way.  Considering my advanced age  :-)  what's your opinion on what to do after the program for the day ends before the trail ends, and continuing to increase my running time without killing myself?

For those of you who've been experiencing ankle/knee/hip pain, I can relate.  When I first started running, I hurt too.  Then I realized that it was probably that I was wearing incorrect shoes for my style.  I went to a running store that has a fancy diagnostic tool for determining your personal running style, bought their suggested shoes, and voila!  No more pain!  Just an idea.

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    153. Sep 18, 2011 6:42 PM (in response to PumpkinJackson)
    Re: Any other beginners over 40?

Hi all.  Guess being 40, we get to realize our minds are willing, but at times the body will just not cooperate. Darn, we get set back with knee pain, swollen ankles, painful heels, even throw in the discolored toenail. But hell no, we still chug along, run or walk to challenge our almost half-century bodies.  Saying that, I do stretch before and after my runs, ice my knees, ankles, and heels, elevate my lower legs.  For good measure, I use voltaren gel for pain relief since I really cannot tolerate anti-inflammatories  due to GI upset and take dietary supplements like glucosamine chrondoitin.  Even at a race, I try to zone out the younger faster runners.  I know I cannot beat them physically, but with patience, discipline, and commitment, I know I won this match.

• PeterCouch Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011
    154. Sep 19, 2011 6:25 AM (in response to Carla JV)

Hi All,

Did my first session last night... Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

I did brisk 5 minute warmup walk followed by 20 mins alternate run and walk but after reading it again I'm not sure if the 5 min warmup is included in the 20 min total.

Any Ideas

Regards

Mark

• VAmama Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 18, 2011
    155. Sep 19, 2011 7:54 AM (in response to PeterCouch)

No, Mark, the 5 minute warm-up and cool-down are in addition to your 20 minute walk/run, for a total of 30 minutes.  Good luck!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    156. Sep 19, 2011 1:23 PM (in response to runningangelinvt)

Well Kerry I was right not to worry about that bad run... I did great in my 5k.  I ran the entire distance without walking a single step and smashed my PR.  Feeling a little 'queen of the world' right now !  I'm also proud of my friend who was running her very first race.  She also ran the entire distance without walking, she said at times her feet were barely moving forward but she did make it!

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• TanyaJones Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011
    157. Sep 19, 2011 7:03 PM (in response to OshCat)

I turned 40 September 4th, and did the Spartan Sprint in PA a week later with my 21 year old son. I had been going to the gym and running on the treadmill with him for about 3 months but was NOT prepared for this race (4.8 mile obstacle course) - it took me about 3 hours. I finished though, and that was my goal. Now I have a new goal. I want to do a couple more 5ks then next september the 10k spartan super. But I dont want to have to stop every few minutes to catch my breath! Some of the spartan chicks recomended the couch to 5k program, and I started that today. Its depressing how labored my breathing is after running for just 60 seconds! I'm not giving up though, and I think having support from others who understand and relate can make the world of difference

• runforyourlife1968 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 21, 2011
    158. Sep 26, 2011 7:31 PM (in response to Carla JV)

Hello. 43 years old here.  Just ran my first 5k last weekend.  Started training in January.  Lost 65 pounds since then.  Have about 5 more to go.  My goal was 5k in under 30 minutes.  Reached my goal!!!  What a feeling!! I have seen lots of people with injuries!!  Seems like stretching is of utmost importance!!  No injuries here.  Hope to keep it that way, and look forward to another 5k next month, and hopefully 10 k in the spring!!

• MicheleErvin Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 2, 2011
    159. Oct 1, 2011 11:03 AM (in response to runforyourlife1968)

My first 5K is coming up a week from today!  Yay!  I've been running in Champion brand rocker-bottom shoes and LOVE them, but keep hearing from people, experts and otherwise, that they're not good.  A friend gave me a gift certificate for a running store, so I bought a pair of real running shoes and a pair of Spenco insoles and have run and walked in them for 2 days.  They feel fine but after today's run my shins really hurt.  Is it just normal in getting used to another pair of shoes, or are my rocker-bottom shoes really better for me and I should listen to my legs and not other people's opinions?  I do stretch and have done nothing different except the shoes. 

• ntrunning Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 21, 2011
    160. Oct 1, 2011 11:36 AM (in response to Carla JV)

45 years young here, Been training science march 2011. Ran my first race in Aug. 10 miles

• runforyourlife Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 7, 2007
    161. Oct 1, 2011 5:59 PM (in response to Carla JV)

Forty something here! Just started runnng...again. I ran for three years in the USArmy, then proceeded to get out, get married, get children, get out of shape. In that order. I hated running when I was in the military. Now, I'm finding out that I was never running efficiently, taking too long strides. I've been doing the C25K, week 3 and am liking it so much I don't want to move ahead! Shortened my stride, liking the intervals, losing weight slowly, but I'm not in a hurry. I run every day, take Sundays off, 30 minutes max, so far no injuries. Also, I'm wondering if anyone else out there is ONLY running on a treadmill. I have young children, so I can't just leave my house whenever I want for a run. Plus, it gives me time to catch up on the news! Thanks for this great thread!!! I've enjoyed reading all the posts.

• MicheleErvin Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 2, 2011
    162. Oct 9, 2011 4:40 AM (in response to runforyourlife)

I just ran my very first 5K yesterday!!!    My running partner and I did it in 39:10, better than any of our training runs!  I was nervous the night before and flustered the morning of because circumstances beyond my control had me going to sleep 3-1/2 hours later than I'd planned.  Also, I'm not much for crowds.  Getting going was a little unnerving with so many runners and making sure I didn't trip on the brick street (it soon gave way to pavement).  To be honest, I wasn't feeling a groove until about the 1-mile mark when I saw the first spectator I knew since the beginning of the race.  He was holding up his phone to take a picture and I yelled, "I'm doing it!"  A little while after that I saw my daughter who ran along with me a little bit taking pictures.  Other than that, I saw no one I knew along the route, but that's okay because they were all at the finish line!  In going back over all the pictures, I certainly look every bit of my 42 years and I have flappy skin because of the 80 pounds I've lost, but SO WHAT???!!!  I ran a 5K!!!!  And in less than 40 minutes!  As we neared the finish line, two friends who had already finished came back and ran the last section with us.  I started seeing people I knew and heard them cheering for ME, not just generic cheering, and it gave me a burst of speed like I've never had before! 

• spnichols Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    163. Oct 9, 2011 2:52 PM (in response to Carla JV)

Hi I'm Stephanie turned 41 last month.  I just started week 3 in the Couch to 5K running program.  I am now totally addicted to running.  My husband and I will be running our first 5k Dec 3rd, the Borene Bah Humbug.  My little brother is turning 40 in March and will be running the Little Rock Marathon.  I will be there too, not sure which race I will run. What is a reasonable goal between now and March 4th for a beginning runner?  ANY Suggestions?

Stephanie Nichols

Boerne,TX

• spnichols Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    164. Oct 9, 2011 2:56 PM (in response to TanyaJones)

Keep it up Tanya!  I just started week 3 and already my breathing is much better.  I still have a ways to go but am excited about the improvement so far.

Stephanie Nichols

Boerne,TX

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...