Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7864 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2011 10:51 AM by rjsams Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • hrsegirl Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Sep 22, 2011 11:25 AM (in response to NolanShanahan)
    Accuracy of GPS Watches vs. iPhone GPS

I use the C25K app on my iPhone 4, and while I have my doubts as to the accuracy of the GPS tracking, I'm not sure how I would test it (my running routes are mostly trails).

Suzy Meathrell

hrsegirl@aol.com

2010: 289 lbs.

2011: 3 5ks, PR of 24.54 (now 23.54!)

2012: 3 10ks, PR of 50.10

Gonna do a 1/2 in December 2012

2013: Wildflower Triathlon (Olympic Length)

• rjsams Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    16. Oct 28, 2011 10:51 AM (in response to NolanShanahan)
    Accuracy of GPS Watches vs. iPhone GPS

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the difference between these two devices.  Iphones and other cellphone apps are pulling their location data by triangulating from the cellphone towers.  Garmins and other GPS running watches are pulling their data from the GPS satellites.  The cellphone apps are more subject to variation depending on where the towers are located, etc.   They are pulling data from ground installations. 

The satellites are more accurate--the Garmins are getting their location data from the sky.  That's the reason for the difference between results.

You have to decide for yourself whether the variation makes enough difference to you.  It may depend on cell tower coverage where you are running--obviously more and better cell tower coverage will translate to more accurate location data.  It may also depend on the cell network you are on, i.e. Verizon vs. A T & T, etc.

The convenience of having your music and GPS/workout data on one device is one reason to use the Iphone or android device.  Accuracy, pace info, etc. may be a reason to use a Garmin or other GPS device.  Both have their place. 

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points