Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

597 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 22, 2011 11:43 AM by hrsegirl RSS
brad_71 Rookie 7 posts since
Oct 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 29, 2011 6:22 AM

information on minimalist shoes

I am intrigued by the barefoot/minimalist running phenomenon. However, I am 6'3" and 250 lbs (about 24% body fat and dropping). I am 15 weeks into my running program after a 12 week layoff from an injury to my foot; I have been running off and on for 8 years.  I am now transitioning from being a heel striker to mid-foot running.

I would like to try some minimalist shoes but feel that I am too heavy. Just curious...

• hrsegirl Rookie 7 posts since
    Sep 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 22, 2011 11:43 AM (in response to brad_71)
    information on minimalist shoes

As you are a heavy person, you are even MORE likely to benefit from barefoot running.  I would suggest checking out Barefoot Running by Michael Sanders.  The biggest thing is to GO SLOW with your transition.  I was heavy, also, when I started running in my VFFs, and while I am lighter now, I'm still probably on the heavy side.  I have no injuries and LOVE running light - it's a totally different feeling.  Good luck!

Suzy Meathrell

hrsegirl@aol.com

2010: 289 lbs.

2011: 3 5ks, PR of 24.54 (now 23.54!)

2012: 3 10ks, PR of 50.10

Gonna do a 1/2 in December 2012

2013: Wildflower Triathlon (Olympic Length)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points