Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

851 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2011 5:25 PM by JasonFitz1 RSS
micki67 Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 24, 2011 7:21 AM

Why do my limbs feel so heavy?

Hi everyone,

I am not new to running/jogging, but I have never ran more than a 5k. I generally run about 8-10 miles a week to stay in shape. Lately I have noticed about half way through my usual 1.5 my legs and arms begin to feel extremly heavy and tired. I am not sure what is causing me to feel this way, has anyone else experienced this, and if so what did you do about it? 

• RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    1. Sep 25, 2011 2:34 PM (in response to micki67)

A few thoughts

If you have been running harder/faster then usual, you might have heaviness in your limbs if you haven't recovered from your previous run. I also recall the run  (not a race) a couple of years ago when my legs felt really heavy on the second tenth of a mile. That remains my fastest ever run at that distance.

I find that my legs feel really heavy, and my times are really slow, if I run after being on my feet for several hours (I usually run in the morning, but occasionally my only opportunity is after work).

You don't give your age or health status, but it could be a medical issue -- anemia, or circulation problems.

You could be *mentally* over-trained, and need a short break.

Good luck on figuring it out.

Robin

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    2. Sep 25, 2011 5:25 PM (in response to RobinfromMaine)

I find that the best training strategy, even for general health, is variety. Alternating the length of your runs, your speed, workouts, shoes, places that you run - you'll find that you're always excited to run and it's never a chore.

But specifically, you may want to do some longer runs 1-2 time a week. You'll find that your legs always feel good on a short run when your body can go longer!

Cheers,

- Jason.

Strength Running

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...