Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1286 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2011 9:38 AM by Mikala_SF
LydiaNesmith Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 19, 2011 9:59 PM

started running again after a year off

Since I started running again....I remember back to when I was 14 and just started cross country... how hard those first few mile runs were.

Now-After my first week of runs my legs have been sore and I have learned that I need to eat a lot more carbs! But Im not in total tune with my body yet and its still really hot out- in the 90's.

I need to remember all of my old tricks and how much fun it is to run.

I need more motivation!

I have signed up for my first Half Marathon in April on 2012- a little nervous, but I know I have the time I need to be ready.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Maybe what you did to prepare for your 1st Half?

• ubonline Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    1. Sep 20, 2011 9:13 AM (in response to LydiaNesmith)

Hi, good idea to give yourself plenty of time to prepare for your first half. I'm hoping to run my first one in October. I've been running for a few years but never more than 8 miles this has been fun getting used to longer runs. Make sure to add variety to your training - short runs, long runs, tempo runs, speed work, hills, trails. Some are hard when you first try them but once you get good the variety is invigorating. Good luck with your training!

• Forrest Duck Pro 121 posts since
    May 6, 2009
    2. Sep 21, 2011 5:09 PM (in response to LydiaNesmith)

Are you sure that you want to do a half in six months?  That is adding two miles a month.  If you are young, maybe it is conceivable, but it might make you too ambitious, and set you up for injury.

I am just one voice, but if you hear from others to go slower, please take it under advisement.

Finish well!

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    3. Sep 23, 2011 6:57 AM (in response to LydiaNesmith)

Good for you for starting to run again. Start slowly and build. Choose a running plan...ie Couch to 5K or any of the other great for beginning runners that will get you up to running 3 miles or approx 30 min. From there you can find a 10K or perhaps a half marathon training plan that can take you to your goal. You have time, but do take it in a methodical approach that gradually builds distance. Good luck and happy running.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• dksv01 Amateur 25 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    4. Sep 23, 2011 10:50 AM (in response to LydiaNesmith)

Hey lydia!  good luck on your half marathon!  check out some tips on my blog here: http://blog.fitgeeksports.com/

• Mikala_SF Pro 87 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    5. Sep 26, 2011 9:38 AM (in response to LydiaNesmith)

If I remember back to when I was 14 I would be remembering the fat kid who only got fatter into high school.  It's nice you have that positive memory to draw on.

The leg soreness gets better.  Are you following c25k or diving right in to sustained running?  Make sure, whatever you do, that it's something that you feel like you can maintain.  Last thing you want to do is burn out before you have re-established a good base.

It IS fun to run, and you will have fun again, just hang in there during this transition phase and make positive comments to yourself as often as possible.

The motivation is inside of you, that's why you're here.  I think you have all the motivation you need, you just need to shut down those questioning thoughts, start from where you are now and build from there.  And no matter anything else, NEVER GIVE UP. 

LydiaNesmith wrote:

Since I started running again....I remember back to when I was 14 and just started cross country... how hard those first few mile runs were.

Now-After my first week of runs my legs have been sore and I have learned that I need to eat a lot more carbs! But Im not in total tune with my body yet and its still really hot out- in the 90's.

I need to remember all of my old tricks and how much fun it is to run.

I need more motivation!

I have signed up for my first Half Marathon in April on 2012- a little nervous, but I know I have the time I need to be ready.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Maybe what you did to prepare for your 1st Half?

My weight loss blog, pictures, etc (started in 2007):

http://diaryofanaspiringloser.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points