Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

400 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 29, 2011 12:47 PM by lenzlaw
GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
Sep 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 29, 2011 11:59 AM

Looking ahead

I'm nearing the end of the C25K and am considering where I want to take this new hobby.  My dream is to be able to run marathons someday.  Not to compete, just to complete.  Does anybody know how long it would take to get into the kind of shape that can run 26 miles?  I used to be able to walk that far but it has been a few years since I tried it.  I have always had the problem of pushing myself too fast, causing injury.  I really don't want to do that again, since this running has been good for me.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,422 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 29, 2011 12:47 PM (in response to GinnyinPA)
    Looking ahead

I would say to take a year and a half to two years.  Build your base and do some shorter races along the way.  Work your way up the ladder so your body has time to adapt.  Once you get to the marathon point, your training plan will be 16 - 20 weeks anyway.  You'll be a lot better off if you get there gradually.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points