Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1423 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2011 9:18 AM by squilky RSS
squilky Pro 91 posts since
Jul 18, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 29, 2011 12:02 PM

Preparing for first 5K

Scheduled to run my first 5k on October 16th. Wondering what I should be doing over the couple of weeks to prepare. I have generally been running 3 times a week and average about 2.5 to 3 miles each run. Occasionally I'll do a 4+ mile run to mix things up. Should I continue what I've been doing? Or should I shut things down a few days I run? Any advice or recommendatyion are very  much appreciated.

MK

Couch to 5k completed: 7/15/2011

USPTO 5K 10/16/2011; 29:14 110/238

Bull Run Festival of Lights 5K 12/31/2011; 31:30 324/683

Primal Mud Run 4/14/2012; 1:29:29

Cody's Crew 5k 9/16/2012 31:15

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,326 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Sep 29, 2011 12:43 PM (in response to squilky)
    Preparing for first 5K

Pretty much keep doing what you're doing.  Your main goal here is to finish the race and have fun doing it.  Take 1 to 3 days off before the race, depending on how you feel about time off.  Some are fine with 1 day, others like the idea of resting the legs for a couple days before the race.

Len

Len

• Stombs02 Rookie 9 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    2. Sep 29, 2011 3:43 PM (in response to squilky)
    Preparing for first 5K

Since this is your first 5k I would take 3 days off from running prior to the event. The distance of what you are doing now seems good. If you want to mix in some cross-training days those will help your muscles and give you a break from always hitting the pavement. Good alternatives are swimming, biking, elliptical. It still gives you a cardio based workout but gives your running muscles a break! Good luck and remember to have fun!

XoXo. Stombs

"When u cross the finish line no matter how slow no matter how fast itll change ur life forever"
    --Dick Beardsley

• Forrest Duck Pro 121 posts since
    May 6, 2009
    3. Sep 29, 2011 5:36 PM (in response to squilky)
    Preparing for first 5K

Squilky, Congratulations for entering your first 5k.  It's an awesome thing to get off the couch (assuming too much?) and get movin

I'm all for three days off, but I'm close to 60 years and lugging around close to 220 pounds.  At any rate it is good to allow time for your body to fully recover from training.

Since you are only 2 and a half weeks away, I wouldn't change anything, but if you want to continue, you might want educate yourself on the other kinds of training runs.  They each serve a purpose in your progression.  And the cross training that Stombs recommends is also important.

But this close to the race, you will not realize a lot of benefit from adding anything to your routine right now.  Just make sure that you stay healthy for your first one.

Finish well!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...