Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3459 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2011 4:18 PM by dksv01 RSS
goodguyswearblack Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 29, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 29, 2011 2:17 PM

I am a new runner.

How do I build up endurance for running. Right now I can barely run a mile in 11 minutes, and I am pretty winded in 3 miles. I would like to be able to run half-a-marathon by year end. Any advice?

• Stombs02 Rookie 9 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    1. Sep 29, 2011 3:40 PM (in response to goodguyswearblack)
    I am a new runner.

Hey there,

I would check out the couch to 5k program, they will teach you the basics of how to get your body used to running. Once you have a good pace and can run for at least 3 miles without being winded I would look into other online programs.

XoXo. Stombs

"When u cross the finish line no matter how slow no matter how fast itll change ur life forever"
    --Dick Beardsley

• Webpro11 Legend 258 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    2. Sep 29, 2011 5:53 PM (in response to goodguyswearblack)
    I am a new runner.

It appears your starting off running to quickly for your current fitness level. It's hard but try to forget about your speed. You'll automatically get quicker and build endurance by building a good weekly base mileage running. Check out Hal Hidgon's on line. Their is a ton of FREE basic programs that will get you started. A good starting point is to take 220 minus your age. That is you max heart rate. Try running a few easy runs a week in the 60% to 70% of that number using a heart rate monitor. You'll enjoy your runs much better as you increase your fitness and start building endurance. Once a week do a long run. Maybe start at 4 miles every other week increase by one mile. That will build endurance. Speed comes later. After a month or two midweek increase your hr to the 75% -85% range for maybe 10 minutes. You can warm up jogging slowly for 10mins. Kick it up to that range for 10mins. Then a 10 min cool down jog. Overtime increase this tempo run both in time and speed.

Good Luck and remember Every new runner starts about in the same place. I only been running since Jan. I run 4 days a week faithfully. My speed is just starting to get better.

2012 Races: Tony from Florida

Jan.7,2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon Orlando FL 02:09:14 PR

Oct 7 2012 Chicago Marathon Chicago Illinois 05:17:43

Feb 10, 2012 Rock N Roll Half Marathon St Petersburg FL

2011 Races:

Started running at 58 ( Nov 23rd 2010)

Half Marathon Results

Oct 31,2011 Fl Halloween Halfathron 02:18:22

Sept 4, 2011 Dodge Rock ‘n’ Roll Virgina Beach Half Marathon 02:28:20

April 30,2011 Country Music Half Marathon Nashville TN 02:56:02

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    3. Sep 29, 2011 6:26 PM (in response to goodguyswearblack)
    I am a new runner.

There's a whole lot of info missing, but you can make up for that yourself as you read.  I think the main thing for you to focus on is to just relax.  You get to be a runner by running.  You learn to run better by reading, practicing, talking to folks here or out on your runs, practicing, and by paying good attention to your body's response to your practicing.  You're not in a hurry!  If you do this right, you can be a runner for the rest of your life.  If you push too hard - the famous "TMTS" too much, too soon- you might well make yourself miserable and quit.  Having goals is a great thing, but make them intelligent goals, maybe even a little conservative. 

Also, have fun!  Remember that every step you take while out running is a wonderful thing, and a treasure not everyone gets to experience.

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• BradenMommyof5 Pro 176 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010
    4. Sep 29, 2011 7:09 PM (in response to goodguyswearblack)
    I am a new runner.

You might try interval training, as suggested. I found a good website that has tracks (free to download) that are timed by beats per minute.  Some are just a straight set beat, others start at say 150 bpm and gradually, via intervals, work you up to 170 bpm in the same workout. 

Here's the website:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/mixes.html

I'll second the advice to not worry about speed as much as endurance.  When I started running I was thrilled if I could do a 10 min/mile pace.  I'm no speed demon now, but I have found that (with the exception of some time off for pregnancy/baby) overall I run FASTER than I did when I started in 2010. 

Look into running form, see if there's anything you can do to tweak your form and lessen the stress to your body, and besides that, just give it time. It'll happen.

Good luck!!

Jenn / BradenMommyof5

<//><

• BradenMommyof5 Pro 176 posts since
    Jan 4, 2010
    5. Sep 29, 2011 7:11 PM (in response to BradenMommyof5)
    I am a new runner.

Oh, you can also look online for training programs specifically designed for half marathons.  I found some created by Hal Higon (sp?) that were pretty good.  Do a search for "half marathong training programs" and you'll find a lot, and most of it will be free.  These types of programs are like couch to 5k in that they gradually build up your endurance by increasing mileage and also mixing it up between long runs and short runs.  That would probably be really valuable for you to look into.

Again, good luck!

Jenn / BradenMommyof5

<//><

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Sep 29, 2011 8:26 PM (in response to goodguyswearblack)
    I am a new runner.

You've gotten some pretty good advice.  But running a half-marathon by the end of this year is an unrealistic goal, given your current fitness level.  For instance, Higdon's Novice 1 half-marathon training plan is 12 weeks long, and assumes you can currently run 3 miles, 3 or 4 times a week.  My advice is to build a running base of about 15 miles per week for a couple months, and plan a Spring half-marathon.

Len

Len

• dksv01 Amateur 25 posts since
    Jun 18, 2008
    7. Oct 3, 2011 4:18 PM (in response to goodguyswearblack)
    I am a new runner.

hey good guys wear black,

check out these training plans: http://blog.fitgeeksports.com/training-programs

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points