Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

12617 Views 39 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2006 5:20 AM by yogini runner RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
atomic089 Rookie 18 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 5, 2006 9:24 AM

pregnant and missing

I'm 12 weeks today (second pregnancy) and while I'm happy to have another kid on the way, I am DYING. This first trimester has been kicking my butt and I miss running so much. So, so much. I ran two 5ks before I knew I was pregnant (and before I started feeling like I had a month-long flu) and the last of those was my best time yet (23:40). So, ya, great. But then the morning sickness and the dizzy (so damn dizzy this time. I credit running for my low blood pressure to start with.) and the tired and the general run-down started and I've run three times since. Maybe 8 miles total.

I just feel too crappy to run, but CHRIST I miss it. I miss my running body already. I miss my muscles and the high and the sweating and the stress-release. I miss my runnning club. I miss my sneakers and the road.

I fully plan on running again as soon as I start feeling better, but it's not the same. Pregnant running is just not the same. And I can't help but miss the non-pregnant running. I see runners and I die a little inside. I want to feel well enough to run. I'm not enjoying this pregnancy because I can't get over missing my normal routine. I'm not looking forward to gaining weight again and then having to lose it. Basically, I'm being selfish and while, yes, I'm happy to have a sibling on the way fo rmy daughter, fug. I'm a little depressed.

Ok. That's it. Thanks for listening.

• jansd Amateur 410 posts since
    Jun 8, 2003
    1. Aug 5, 2006 2:07 PM (in response to atomic089)
    Re: pregnant and missing

The first trimester of my second pregnancy was horrible, but after that it was great. I didn't gain as much as with my first pregnancy, and I felt fantastic and full of energy. Things can really change, and I hope you'll get over the hump and then have a great time the rest of the way.

• gennaver Rookie 29 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    2. Aug 6, 2006 5:54 PM (in response to atomic089)

quote:

Originally posted by atomic:

I'm 12 weeks today (second pregnancy) and while I'm happy to have another kid on the way, I am DYING. This first trimester has been kicking my butt and I miss running so much. ...
    Ok. That's it. Thanks for listening.

Hello Atomic,

Congratulations.

While I am not a mom, I have heard from friends that each prengnancy might be different from the previous.

Hopefully you will be feeling well soon!
    Gen

• ping075 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 27, 2005
    4. Aug 15, 2006 10:45 AM (in response to atomic089)

Congrats on your pregnancy! 
    I just started my 11th week today and even though I have felt good enough to keep running, it is still not the same. I certainly don't push myself the way I used to, and when I start to feel tired or overheated I take walk breaks. I keep trying to remember it's not all about me anymore! I've opted out of some summer races because i know I will just get frustrated my times wouldn't be as good as they used to be! So, instead, I am just trying to set some goals for after the baby is born so I have something to work toward!

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and I hope you start feeliong better soon!

• marnie917 Rookie 9 posts since
    Mar 28, 2006
    5. Aug 16, 2006 8:05 AM (in response to atomic089)

Hey Mommas  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!
    I'm 16 weeks pregnant with my 1st and I completely understand what you're going through. In fact I had just started pre-training for the Chicago marathon the couple weeks before I found out I was pregnant! I knew I'd be tired in the 1st trimester but I didn't know that I would be so exhausted the walking was a chore  So I was sidelined until about 4 weeks ago when BAM, I got my energy back! I haven't tried to jump back into running because taking a solid 2 months off and essentially starting from scratch with this body is not a good idea, but I've been able to do swimming, tennis, long walks, and what I call wa-running (walk 5 mins, s-l-o-w-l-y run 5 mins, etc). Now that the weather is so much nicer I'm even more jealous of the people I see out for their runs  But, I know I'll get back there one day. Hang in there and congratulations!

• javaangel25 Rookie 62 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Aug 17, 2006 7:55 PM (in response to atomic089)

It is okay to feel selfish.  You are doing the most selfless thing possible.  I'm 10 weeks in my second and still break down and cry and I have kept up my pre-pregnancy milage and feel pretty good when I run.  I remember how in my first I was told by my family not to run (mainly because of a really bad winter).  I gained 50 lbs and was uncomfortable all the time.  So I fear my good fortune of minimal sickness and overwhelming appetite. 
    This time around my family is very supportive and my doctor says to keep going just be careful. I am afraid to "run" a race in a week because I won it last year and this year I won't. I am also afraid that of medalling (I will have had to slow down 5 mins to come in first in my age group.)
    I am afraid of what people will say when they realize I'm pregnant - I went to a nurse's visit today and she tisked at my running. I am afraid of not being able to run a ll nine months. In some ways my running is what defines me and when that's gone..... (There is a great picture in this month's runners world of dr. running at 39 months.)
    My advice is to take it one day at a time and try to get out there.  It might make you feel better and normal.  We all have our worries but remember 6 months to go.

• kellohaha Rookie 23 posts since
    Jul 12, 2006
    7. Aug 18, 2006 1:26 PM (in response to atomic089)

hate to play devils advocate but im bored and thought id share my experience lol
    when i was preg with ds i felt great the first couple of weeks... running was fast and easy then a wall hit and i could not even run a mile without wanting to keel over... then the morning sickness started and never went away..it would wake me up in the middle of the night and id stumble to the bathroom to throw up... id be at work trying to talk to someone and have to rush to the bathroom (on an interesting note- i learned to vomit without making a sound so as not to cause concern -i worked in a restaurant at the time ) i was exhausted all the time had no appetite no energy and was put on bed rest the last month.. needless to say i wasnt able to run for a year.. AND even with all the purging (lol) i still gained 50lbs ... yes its possible to survive without running and i enjoy it all the more now and the external ds is MUCH nicer than the fetal ds lol

----

'mostly organic, completely natural, totally good!'
    kellohaha is...[/URL" target="_blank">
    runner profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• pegrun Rookie 36 posts since
    Mar 22, 2006
    8. Aug 29, 2006 1:17 PM (in response to atomic089)

just to put it in perspective for you - my second pregnancy, not only could I not run - I was on bedrest from 18 weeks on - only got up to shower, bathroom - all of this with a two year old at home - be happy you can walk around!!! (and congratulations !!)

• wildchild083 Pro 126 posts since
    Jan 30, 2006
    9. Sep 8, 2006 11:25 AM (in response to atomic089)

Another way to put it in perspective is to read the threads from people who have miscarried.  They would give anything to be in your shoes.  So quit whining and count your blessings!  Sorry to be harsh - I know I'd miss running too.

• Tamalina Legend 1,589 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    10. Sep 8, 2006 2:25 PM (in response to atomic089)

This too shall pass and hopefully in a few wks you'll feel better.  And even if you have to give up running for 8 or so months, it's a small price to pay for what you'll be receiving.  I would GLADLY give up running if it meant a 2nd child for me. but after 5 yrs, thousands of dollars in fertility treatment, it'll never be a reality.

Hang in there . . . You'll get your sproink back before you know it!

• runnergyrl Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 29, 2001
    11. Sep 11, 2006 2:47 PM (in response to atomic089)

Atomic - I feel as though I wrote your post word for word. Weird. I haven't visited this site in quite some time, as I felt I didn't deserve to be here as my mileage had dropped so much. Good to know there are others out there who feel the same.
    I'm happy to say that now that I'm in my 13th week, I am back to running... and it doesn't make me nauseous any more! Granted, daily mileage is very VERY low, but I kind of made a deal with my mind that I would go out and just try to enjoy the time out on the road, even if I was slow enough now to enjoy the scenery now a bit more, and that if I needed to walk, as much as it pained me, I would do it.
    It seems to have worked.
    I just want to know why since I got pregnant, everybody and their mother has taken up running around my neighbourhood? Feels like they are doing this to spite me, though I know it is not the case.
    Can't wait for the fall 07 marathon season!!!

• jebba Rookie 9 posts since
    Jan 19, 2001
    12. Sep 12, 2006 5:10 PM (in response to atomic089)

I could have written some of these posts.  I'll be 12 weeks on Thursday with my second.  I haven't run at all in two weeks.  I just feel so sick.  I can't wait to get my energy back and start pounding the pavement again.  I ran until 27 weeks last time and hope to do the same or longer this time.

• ksusarah1 Rookie 13 posts since
    Sep 23, 2006
    14. Sep 23, 2006 1:06 PM (in response to atomic089)

I have to second Atomic.  I have friends that are unable to get pregnant, and my heart is with them.  It took us a year to get pregnant (I know for some that is nothing, but for us, it seemed to start taking forever), but I also understand what the origninal poster, as well as many others, are feeling.

I'm 17 weeks pregnant, and for the first 3 months, i felt like I was in a coma all the time.  I could barely get out the door to work out,  between the heat and the fatigue.  I was depressed as welllike I was all ready losing so much of my life.  Everyone says "It's all for a good reason", and I agree, but it has been such a shift in personality and how I view myself.  <br /><br />Now that I can run again, it's still taking some getting used to.  I am not as fast, I don't go as far, and I walk a lot more, but I get out there and keep going.  I get so many "tsk tsk's" about my running, even from highly active people.  I even stopped going to my midwife because she was a) so behind the times on the research on heart rate and RPEs for pregnant women (the old 140 BPM no longer is the norm) and b) so unsupportive of my activity.  I know my body better now than I ever did before I started running a few years ago, and I know when I need to stop.  Yet, she wouldn't let up on it.  My doctors (both my family doc and my OB) are so supportive, it's amazing.  <br /><br />SO.....short story long, I know how you feel as a pregnant runner.  I'm learning to accept the differences, and the depression has lifted as my running has been able to pick up a little again.  I figure if I can run 2 days a week and walk 2-3 times per week, it works for me, gives me enough mind clearing time, and keep sme happy (which I figure makes baby happy too!)<br /><br />Girls, we will make it.  In a year, we'll be running againwith families in tow, but running nonetheless.  Keep it up ladies--we can all do this! 

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...