Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7808 Views 34 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2011 11:36 AM by seb34 RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
AnarialM Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 3, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 4, 2011 5:43 AM

When does it get fun?

I just finished W1D2, and I am already amazed at how much better it went than D1 did.  But I want to be able to enjoy my running!  I have always hated running, ever since being on a soccer team in elementary school.  This really seems like a good program, and I have already seen a little improvement in my ability, which is so motivating!  But I woke up this morning wishing I could just stay in bed instead of going outside, and I already kind of dread Thursday's run.  Is there a point when anyone else switched from having to force themselves out, and started running because they want to?  I am determined to see this through to the end, but it would be comforting to know it will get more enjoyable.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    1. Oct 4, 2011 6:12 AM (in response to AnarialM)
    When does it get fun?

The body and the mind do not like stress.

With your new running program you are stressing both. Both the mind and body want to reject the new stress. Thus, you are going to have an inner battle.

I read of this conflict in your post --- you are seeing improvement which is motivating versus dreading Thursday's run.

The battle is won by two things -- Faith, that you know the results will be good. And two, commitment, getting out there on the days when neither the mind and/or body want nothing to do with running.

I read this too in your post -- I am determined to see this through to the end.

Sounds to me that you are normal. Stick with the plan and you shall be fine.

• MouseRN Pro 135 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    2. Oct 4, 2011 7:00 AM (in response to AnarialM)
    When does it get fun?

The say it takes 21 days to build a habit. I think it takes at least a straight month of running 3x a week to get to the point of "wanting" to get out there. I wasn't a runner either (technically still am not, more of a run/walk), as you said "hated" it. I flunked C25K when I tried it a couple years ago after developing stress fractures, shin splints and knee pain. I had not run since. In July of this year I began training for the Tinkerbell Half Marathon in January with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. The fact that I am running for a cause is part of the reason I get up in the morning (when I'm not injured...been dealing with ITBS issues for the last few weeks) at 4:30 to get ready to do my run. After only running 3-4 times in the last two weeks I am so ready to run again...did a 5K on Saturday and just finished a 5 miler this morning. I look forward to the runs now for the  most part. Sure, there are still those days that I'd rather stay in bed, but I have people to run for and a cause to support. That may be a way to give yourself an incentive to get out of bed. Start with a 5K for the cause of your choice and build up from there if you like. Just an idea.

• kp24 Amateur 28 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    3. Oct 4, 2011 8:14 AM (in response to AnarialM)
    When does it get fun?

I'm just starting out as well, and I never really liked running (even though I did track in jr. high and high school). But I feel really motivated right now to keep going. We will see how I feel when the runs start getting more intense...

Started C25K: 10/3/11

-------------------------------------

Turkey Trot 5K: 11/24/11: 33:17

Nobody's a natural. You work hard to get good and then work to get better. It's hard to stay on top.

Paul Coffey

• Kpoulelis Amateur 34 posts since
    Sep 13, 2011
    4. Oct 4, 2011 9:36 AM (in response to kp24)
    When does it get fun?

I've completed the C25k two weeks ago and now run 3.1 miles every other day in prep for my first 5k a week from this coming Saturday.  I have to say it is still hard, and I still don't enjoy it while I'm doing it.  However, the sense accomplishment I feel afterwards makes it worth while.  And, the days I don't run, I actually look forward to running again (even though I'm panting and cussing and sweating the entire time I'm running and want to quit).  I think at some point, I will be able to do it and not feel like I'm dying and that will make it more enjoyable. 

C25k start: July 26, 2011

C25K finish: September 23, 2011

1st 5k: October 15, 201100--The Fast and Furriest 5k: 37:25

2nd 5k: November 26, 2011

• Ian_Moone Amateur 23 posts since
    Apr 5, 2011
    5. Oct 4, 2011 11:24 AM (in response to AnarialM)
    When does it get fun?

hehe I am still like that every other run day, I just take my time and go outside start walking then next thing I know I am feeling good. I also try to remember the feeling of Success and invigoration when I finished the last run.

As of today I just finished w3d3 which took me a while because of the little mental barriers of mine also now that it is cooler out I seem to run smoother.

• abbynormaloh75 Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011
    6. Oct 6, 2011 10:15 AM (in response to Ian_Moone)
    When does it get fun?

i think it's great advice to run for a cause.  another thing that helps me is that i start my morning on forums like this.  i am also on the c25k page on facebook.  because of the time zones someone is always posting how they did on their run and it motivates me to get out on the road so i can post my effort.  i am a "needy" person and these forums really provide alot of support for me. hope they help you too.

• MattySmithy Amateur 5 posts since
    Jun 5, 2011
    7. Oct 6, 2011 2:29 PM (in response to AnarialM)
    When does it get fun?

You will get to a point where running becomes a habit and you will feel bad if you don't get out and run.  Your body will adjust to running and it will feel like the "normal" thing to do to your body.  If you stop, your body will withdrawl.  It took me a few months of CONSISTENT running in order to get to that point.

Nothing beats running with the wind in my hair, Bluetooth earbuds in my ears, and music to keep me going for miles and miles!

MY new favorite piece of fitness equipment: a mini trampoline!  They're so much fun!!

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    8. Oct 7, 2011 9:46 AM (in response to AnarialM)
    When does it get fun?

If you're really working yourself during your runs, it will never be 'fun'.  But you'll be motivated to do it.  I still don't find it 'fun', but I'm motivated to run.  I typically go 4-5 miles every other day.

It's a lifestyle commitment.  But it's still not 'fun'.

Cheers.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• abbynormaloh75 Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011
    9. Oct 9, 2011 11:30 AM (in response to MattySmithy)
    When does it get fun?

MattySmithy wrote:

You will get to a point where running becomes a habit and you will feel bad if you don't get out and run.  Your body will adjust to running and it will feel like the "normal" thing to do to your body.  If you stop, your body will withdrawl.  It took me a few months of CONSISTENT running in order to get to that point.

i agree.  when i am out there it is NOT fun, but when i am sitting on my butt instead of running, that IS NOT FUN either.

• Run4Choclt Pro 80 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    10. Oct 10, 2011 12:29 PM (in response to AnarialM)
    When does it get fun?

Agree to all the above posts for the most part... I don't know that "fun" is the best word for running. There are many more adjectives that describe it for me... it's more of a feeling of accomplishment and good health than anything. And when you realize the doubts you had about yourself were false, that's the most enjoyable part. I was never a runner.. 1 very slow mile here or there, I NEVER thought I could run a 5k and now I'm up to 10 miles, planning for my first half! Planning for a race keeps me going. I find it much easier to hit the pavement if I know I have one coming up. I don't know how many times the words, "there's no way I can go that far" passed thru  my head but just a short time later, "I can't believe I just did that!" followed.

Another reason I started running was for health - I wanted to drop a few lbs. To my knowledge, I haven't dropped any. Although, I have not weighed myself (in fear of seeing the same or greater number and stopping all together.) I have not changed my eating habits tho so the calories are solely my fault. My clothes still feel about the same though. That's the depressing part - and a bit frustrating. I haven't changed my eating habits, I just run 15-25 miles a week and nothing???!!!!  And I've been on this track for almost 3 months now.

Tonight is an 11 mile run for me... ugh

-2011 Races-

8/28/11 - Pekin, IL Greater Area Peoria 5k (1st ever 5k!) - 37:05

9/3/11 - Kewanee, IL Hog Stomp 4m - 45:23

9/10/11 - East Troy, WI Historical Society 5k - 34:02

9/17/11 - Morton, IL Pumpkin Classic 10k - 1:06:22

10/1/11 - Morton, IL St. Jude Road Race 5k - 31:56 - PR

10/8/11 - Peoria, IL United Way 5k - 32:50

10/22/11 - Peoria, IL Boo Run 5k - 32:50

10/29/11 - Chicago, IL Monster Dash Half Marathon (1st ever HM!) - 2:40:06

- Training For 2012 Races-

3/3/12 - Peoria, IL Gaelic Gallop 5k -

3/10/12 - Morton, IL Cactus Classic 10k or half ? -

3/24/12 - Pekin, IL Saints 5k -

3/24/12 - Peoria, IL Interplanetary 5k -

3/31/12 - Peoria Heights, IL Half Marathon -

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    11. Oct 10, 2011 7:39 PM (in response to AnarialM)
    When does it get fun?

I am new to running, but find that for me it is like doing any strenuous exercise.  Before I start, I dread it.  I'll find other things to do before finally saying, "Okay, quit procrastinating, just put on your shoes and get started."  The first few minutes are usually hard.  Once I'm warmed up, I find myself relaxing and getting into the movement.  It's not necessarily fun, but it isn't torture either.  At the end, I usually say, "Done already?" or "Maybe five more minutes."  Afterwards, after I do a cooldown walk and a few minutes of yoga/stretching, I feel relaxed and happy.  I always feel better after working up a good sweat.  I also like pushing just a little bit harder each day, seeing how what seemed impossible a month ago is now relatively easy.  I remember when I first saw the jump from 8 minutes to 20.  I could barely get through 5 at the time.  I really doubted I could do week 5.  But I did.  Today I finished week 9, day 1 and added some extra just because I felt I could.  When I finish the C25k, I'll continue - either to 10 k or to 10 miles, just because I love the way it makes me feel - proud and happy and well worked out. 

• redrunner32 Pro 151 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010
    12. Oct 10, 2011 7:49 PM (in response to AnarialM)
    When does it get fun?

It gets fun (and addicting) after your first 5k!

• bbee42 Pro 78 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    13. Oct 10, 2011 10:17 PM (in response to AnarialM)
    When does it get fun?

I read something in a Runner's World magazine a few years ago and it stuck with me. 

If you are going to stick with running, you need to find at least "one" thing you really like about it.  You may not enjoy the overall experience.  You certainly won't enjoy some of the aches and pains that come from it.  But you need to find one thing that makes you feel really good about it.  And then cling to that one thing.  That is the thing that will motivate you to get up and keep going.  It's also what will see you through the off days that things just don't go right.

For me, the one thing is that I like to show people that this middle aged, overweight guy can stick with it and keep going.  I'm not ever going to be the fastest guy on the track or trail.   But I have lots of endurance, and I can flat out put some younger, faster runners to shame on distance.  So, that's my focus when I run.  I want to be the first guy out there running and the last to walk away. 

So, instead of focusing on the entire thing being fun.   Find that "one thing" that you really like about it.

2011 - C25K Graduate!!! (9/17/2011)

2011 - BridgeTo10K - W3 Slacker!

2012 - Started over but didn't finish the C25K program (MAJOR SLACKER!)

2013 - C25K Graduate Again!!! (NEVER GIVE UP!)

2013/9/20 - REV3 Glow Run Branson - Wasn't chip timed but finished in roughly 38 min.

2013 - December 4th - Began 1/2 Marathon Training

2014/3/10 - Kiss Me, I'm Irish 10K - 1:23:32.9 (PR! It counts even if it's my only 10K)

Future Races (Registered):

2014/4/5 - Bentonville Half Marathon!!!!

==========================================================

My running logs: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/506692

My Blog: http://goneafk.tumblr.com

Independent Rep for Isagenix Diet and Healthcare Products: http://bbee42.isagenix.com

• Mikey4Run Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    14. Oct 11, 2011 3:34 AM (in response to bbee42)
    When does it get fun?

It really gets fun when you wake up on a Saturday at 5:30am and head out the door by 6 and knock out 12+ miles, and make it back home before the family is out of bed.

I started running late in 2010, and took a little time off along the way, but ultimately kept going back.  I do not like my weekday runs, as I never really have enough time to get the run in and cool down before taking a shower.... without the cool down, the shower is almost useless as I continue to sweat.  I love the Saturday long runs even though I still get up early (although not 4:30 like during the week), because I can get out there without a true route in mind and "run free".  I find that as the miles go on, I am solving problems at work in my mind, thinking about things to do around the house that day, and basking in the glow of being on the road racking up the miles.

In Novemebr of 2010, I weighed 280 lbs.  I now bounce around the 190-200 range.  Running truly became fun when this "fat boy" could actually do it and have running discussions with the guys at work.  It became fun when I started putting too many miles on running shoes and have had to by other pairs.  It became fun when I actually started tracking my mileage. Etc etc etc...

My point being... there are lots of things that can be "fun" about running, but you really have to look at it from a few different perspectives!

One final note.... For me, there is no better feeling than that feeling I get AFTER a run!  I feel as if I am strutting for hours!

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...