Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2270 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2011 6:08 PM by PatriciaDawn RSS
Raserei Amateur 13 posts since
May 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 31, 2011 11:22 AM

Sunglasses for running

I'm a newish runner who has only done one 5K but has many more scheduled...

When I wasn't so active I had a pair of Oakleys that I loved and only broke after a cabinet dislodged from my wall and smashed them - so I have a bit of nostalgia love for them. For everyday use I have one of those cheap mall sunglasses that are doing just fine, but now with my canine agility and 5K running, I want something with a bit more purpose.

I'm most interested in vented lenses and something suited for a "smaller" head (female). Any suggestions on a pair of vented, stay-put sunglasses? Thanks!

-Raserei

Raserei - 5K Runner, Agility Dog Handler

05/15/11 - Bob Potts 5K (first race ever) - 39.46

06/04/11 - Hope for Cope 5K - 36.11

07/09/11 - Habitat for Humanity 5K -

07/30/11 - Sunset Stretch 5K -

08/20/11 - Run for the Park CC Challenge 5K -

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    1. May 31, 2011 12:52 PM (in response to Raserei)
    Re: Sunglasses for running

I know what you mean about the inexpensive sunglasses not cutting it for certain activities! I have a pair of polarized sunglasses I bought at a retail store, and they kept slipping down my nose during yesterday's race! I think that what you get depends on how much you want to spend (or not spend, in my case!), but you should look for something with rubberized nosepads and "arms" (not sure of the technical term). A lot of sunglass brands offer a "sport" line that has these features, and some stores like Walmart and BassPro have inexpensive versions in their fishing sections. I prefer something that is more of a wrap style so that my whole eye is covered.

REI.com has a bunch of polarized sunglasses on their outlet section. You can try there. Good luck!

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    2. May 31, 2011 2:21 PM (in response to Raserei)

I have a pair of Natives, with polarized lens,  that I picked up (on sale) from REI's website.  Many websites now advise which size face the sunglasses fit.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• lbonney Rookie 21 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jun 16, 2011 8:10 AM (in response to Raserei)

Take a look at Tifosi.  Lots of $50 options with multiple lenses .Most bike shops sell them.  Lightweight with hydrophobic nose pads that keep them put when running.  Also  good if you spend some time on the bike and need clear or high contrast lenses. I use the Slip model.

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    5. Jun 16, 2011 8:31 AM (in response to Raserei)

I got these http://www.rei.com/product/815196/suncloud-mixer-polarized-sunglasses-special-buy in tortoise (they are apparently sold out of tortoise now), and they are awesome! Lightweight, stay on my sweaty face, and wrap around enough to cover my eyes without looking dorky, and they are polarized. Polarized lenses are a must have for me, but I know people who are fine without polarized lenses. These are not vented, but they still work great -- and I'm in Florida, where it is super humid!

• smerritt24 Amateur 18 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Jun 28, 2011 5:47 AM (in response to Raserei)

I agree w/ the person above - Tifosi's are awesome.....check them out....I got mine at Martin's Sporting Goods in Myrtle Beach - they don't slip and cover the entire eye.

Good luck!

• ethiopian clown Rookie 3 posts since
    May 13, 2011
    7. Aug 10, 2011 4:03 PM (in response to smerritt24)

Ryders is another good brand to check out. Most are less than $100 (some less than $50 for non-polarized). I've seen them at running and cycling stores.

• slowrunningpete Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    8. Oct 5, 2011 12:19 AM (in response to Raserei)
    Sunglasses for running

Oakley's are the only thing i wear when running. Just lost mine though

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    9. Oct 5, 2011 5:47 AM (in response to Raserei)
    Sunglasses for running

Go to Home Depot or Lowes, go to the section where they sell the sunglasses worn by landscapers. You can get a great pair of glasses for approximately $20.

These glasses are made for guys who are doing work outside. The do not slide, and stay firmly to the face, and blockout all the UV and visible light that needs to be blocked.

• PatriciaDawn Amateur 24 posts since
    Mar 8, 2009
    10. Oct 9, 2011 6:08 PM (in response to Raserei)
    Sunglasses for running

I use Ironman brand sunglasses that I can purchase at Target or Walmart. They are about $20 per pair and are polarized.  I get them two pair at a time so I can lose them, scratch them, or otherwise abuse them and never  be grieving their demise. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points