Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

32261 Views 206 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2012 12:26 PM by TrishFahey Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 Previous Next
  • flushpuppy Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011

Yes! Did my first workout yesterday. I'm 44, and while not overweight, definitely NOT in shape.  I've never had to diet, but I'd like to be in shape now, and things are starting to slow down. Hips are sore today - hoping that eases for tomorrow's workout.  I have the C25K Pro Droid app, which as far as I can tell doesn't talk to you when it's time to change. Has anyone found a Droid app that will do that? It'd be nice not to have to look at the phone to find out what I should be doing.

Glad to find others who just started!

Chris

• abbynormaloh75 Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011

i actually started spetember 19th, but had to repeat week1.  so that means i just finished week 2. i hope i am not too far ahead for you guys. its just great to have motivation.  i need all i can get.

• abbynormaloh75 Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011

lmwarrington wrote:

Hi,

I'm a C25K virigin.  I'm a 39 years old, diabetic, 200+  mother of two.  The other day my daughter said "I know why you cant get that mom...because you're too fat."  She didnt mean to hurt my feelings, but it did.  I want to be around to watch her and my son grow up.  Tmw is my W1D1.  I HATE exercising so I'm doing this with a friend at work.  I have an hour between picking up my son from school and picking up my daughter from her school.  I am planning to use that hour on M, W, F to do my exercise.  I'm a sign language interpreter so my work is mostly sedintary.  I dont want to be perfect, just a better example for my kids!!!!

:-),

laura

there is a thread on here for 200+ pounders, like myself...if you wanna check out another thread. i know i post on several in order to keep my motivation up.

• kp24 Amateur 28 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011

Hey Chris,

I found an app for 2.99 that is C25K on the Droid that does talk. I installed the free one the first day but it didn't work well with my music and I had to force close it while I was doing the intervals. The paid one is working a lot better, it integrates music into the app, and there is talking to tell you when to walk and when to run. It also lets you know when you are halfway finished overall.

KP

Started C25K: 10/3/11

-------------------------------------

Turkey Trot 5K: 11/24/11: 33:17

Nobody's a natural. You work hard to get good and then work to get better. It's hard to stay on top.

Paul Coffey

• sarac86 Amateur 27 posts since
    Oct 2, 2011

So how's everyone doing with the workouts? I completed all three this week so I can rest until Sunday now.

I'm already finding that I have more energy in the evenings and more "will" to eat healthy and not eat any trash.

So far, so good! I'll be starting Week 2 on Sunday!

• Llamedos Expert 50 posts since
    May 27, 2011

Hi all, well its good to be getting back into it, as stated, I am on Wk 2, but will probably do a couple more days of Wk 2 next week to ensure I am comfortable with it before moving on to the 3 min sessions of Wk 3. So far, apart from some tightness in the thigh muscles, its all good and like you say - more energy and better sleep.

I have had snags with the App on my Android phone interfacing with my music choices and have reverted to an iPod download and stopwatch. The download I chose is available at http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx  - the lady tells you when to run, when to walk, gives running tips and good motivational encouragement. You don't really need a stopwatch as she keeps you informed of how well you are doing, but its also nice to look down and see how many seconds to go....!!

If anyone has any better ideas for music and coaching apps or downloads, I'd be grateful.

Have a great weekend and good running!

• Deege3 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 4, 2009

I'm with you! I just completed week 3. I too am doing a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. This routine has been going great. I am 41 and NEVER in a million years thought I could be a runner... I'm not very athletic at all. I've been struggling with my weight for too long now... up and down... up and down. I've had it. My brother is a runner and loves it so I decided to go for it. I'm doing my running on a treadmill and have been adding to the routine a bit... just lengthening each set to get me to 2 miles. I can't believe I'm doing it. It feels FANTASTIC! I have two friends that are doing the program too so it's been great.  Our goal after the trot is a 5 mile at the end of May.... gotta keep it going!

Good luck to everyone!

Deege

Oct 4, 2011

Finished Week 1 today. I didn't get out until 9:30 which resulted in some challenges with heat and traffic. I also think the warmer temps caused me to quicken my pace at first, and I started getting some knee pain about half way through. Slowed down at the end though and feel great. I still have some soreness in the muscules on the front of my legs, but it seems to be getting better.

In addition to the C25K app I bought for my Droid, I installed a free version of imapmyrun and got some information on my average pace, distance, etc. According to it I completed 2.25 miles total with the running and jogging at a 14 min/mi pace. I wish I had a more detailed way to monitor my pace on the runs only so I can pinpoint the best for endurance.

On top of moving to quickly and experiencing some pain, I accidentally paused the workout twice: once while walking (I think I walked an extra minute) and once while running (paused at 20 sec left, have no idea how long I kept jogging before I notcied). I guess I need an armband for my phone; it looks like holding it isn't working.

Anyone else experience some interesting events this week? How is everyone feeling after week one?!

Nobody's a natural. You work hard to get good and then work to get better. It's hard to stay on top.

Paul Coffey

Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    40. Oct 7, 2011 12:48 PM (in response to kp24)
    Starting this week..October 1st...who is with me?????

The one I got is the Pro version - it usually costs money but was the free app of the day. I *think* I figured out the voice thing, but we'll find out today when I do Day 2!  Thanks!

Oct 4, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    41. Oct 7, 2011 12:51 PM (in response to kp24)
    Starting this week..October 1st...who is with me?????

I'd like some info about distance, too - can you run both of these on your Droid at the same time?

• NateDawg33 Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 7, 2011

Hello y'all...I just starting doing the program this week and I ran W1D2 last night.  Currently, I weigh 220; however, I was 246 about 5 weeks ago.  Under my wife's and doctor's order, I am told to lose 81 pounds.  I have been watching my calories to loose that weight.  Like of most of you here, I use to run back when I was in high school (15 years ago).  I ran cross country and track & field.  I used to run a five (5) minute mile; however, I know I may never do that again.  I work in law enforcement, so I need to lose weight and build up endurance/strength.  I previously worked in a forensic lab, which is very sedentary.  However, I was just transferred to another unit which is more active and take up more of a law enforcement role. 

Anyways...I just started the program and on Day 1, my distance was 1.94 miles in 30; however, Day 2 was 2.06 miles in 29 minutes.  While I am out of shape, I am trying to push myself to get within spitting days of my cross country days.  I forgot how different it was to run uphill vs downhill.  They are two different styles. 

One question though...I looked ahead to Week 3 and you can either run the distance or timed.  What do y'all think will get the best results (most distance in least time)?  I am thinking of running the time portion and go as far as I can. 

Well, I look forward to following this post and keep encouraging others.  Keep it up and train hard!!!!!

Nathan

Oct 4, 2011

Hey! I had no problem running both the C25K and the MapMyRun app at the same time. I had the route mapped too, so my location settings were turned on.

Paul Coffey

Oct 4, 2011

NateDawg,

I think that most people here (and around the web) follow the timed intervals because it is a bit easier to keep track of. The phone apps seem to all keep time and not distance, so I think without a watch or something additional, you might have trouble keeping distance. I know I'm going to just go for the 30 minutes and see how far I get. I'm running a 5k in November, so that will put me at week 8 and 28 minutes.

Paul Coffey

1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...