Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

60357 Views 249 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2012 8:23 AM by PaintingLady RSS Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next
  • RobinfromMaine Pro 162 posts since
    Dec 6, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    225. Sep 5, 2011 5:05 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)
    Re: 50 and over, 5k and beyond - Race Reports

Hi, everyone

I have run only one race since the HM in July, and that was a 5K August 20, with only 27 runners. It's hard for me to imagine a race with "only a few 100", let alone one of the huge marathons with 40,000 people. I live in a fairly rural area, and work makes it difficult to seriously travel, so I look for local races. Since there aren't that many it makes for a little more incentive to enter when I have the opportunity, which is what happened with this last race. I wasn't really sure I wanted to get up early on a Saturday and run hard.

There were some good things about this race, one of which is that I knew the course, both because it's local and I have driven over these roads, and because I ran the same race last year. The weather was sunny, and not *too* hot. The best thing was that when I arrived I found out that the race was being run in the opposite direction from last year. It's a loop course, and last year the second mile was a long shallow uphill, with a steep short downhill around mile 2 1/2. Running the short steep hill uphill near the beginning, and having the long shallow downhill in the middle made me much happier. My strategy was to rest my legs with the uphill, by taking short strides, and trying for longer strides on the flat and downhill sections, when I didn't have to worry about getting out of breath -- my stride rate stays pretty constant, so the only was I can run faster is to try to lengthen my stride. As always, the biggest barrier to running faster is the mental part that tells me that I can't do it. I've been running five miles for my regular runs, which helps a little, as I try to convince myself that 3.1 isn't all that far.

Even with such a small race they had a professional timing group, and at the finish line a large LED display that showed the elapsed time. There was a short uphill and then a left turn to a relatively flat stretch heading toward the finish, and at this point I tried to run really hard, with the time clock being a real incentive as the seconds ticked off. I could tell as I went by that I had finished in 25:59.xx, which was rounded up [my brother, who is the real runner in the family, tells me that times are *always* rounded up, even 0.01 second is rounded up] to the official time of 26:00 -- but I have the satisfaction of knowing that I came in under 26 minutes.

I felt pretty good about the time, but I'm still not sure how it happens that I can run faster in a race, when it seems as if I'm working just as hard on the regular runs.

There's supposed to be a 5K this coming Saturday, but that's probably going to be my last race this season.

Steve and Marie, I hope that you're soon beyond your injuries and back to running.

Jo Ann, I am in awe of the incredible things you are doing -- you go, girl!

Robin

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    226. Sep 6, 2011 7:36 AM (in response to RobinfromMaine)

Guys, I've been lurking and reading your posts and am very inspired. I hope you'll let me join in. You are hardly newbies; don't know why you are posting here. Nancy and Jo Ann, I am amazed at the races you have completed. I am truly a newbie and was aiming for a 10k, thinking I'd like to run a half by next summer but still listening to a voice in the back of my head saying, "That may be too much to expect from this old body." You have all blown my expectations and that's a good thing. Steve, I'd love to race where I wasn't the only one or one of two in my age/gender group. Robin, WoW! Great job! Marie, love the quote.

I've *run* (jogged and then walked) two 5ks and had times only a mother could love. To be fair, weather was hot and humid at both and I had not reached 3.1 mi. in training on a flat surface and these were trail races; it was too soon. I have three 5ks coming up in two weeks, one a trail race and two on pavement, each with its challenges. It's easy for me to get anxious and start walking too early; once I start walking the legs just won't start running again. I have constant thoughts of "I should stop because I can't do this, hate this, am not ready to do this, can't breathe, etc." And, I'm worried that since I've wussed out on the first two races, it's going to be way harder for me to turn this around and push through the mental game. I should be ready to complete the runs by race time. I ran the first course this weekend, will train on the second course and will have time to run the third course. I'm running 3.4 mi. and have two weeks before the first race so the distance shouldn't be an issue. The real reason most times that I get anxious is that I'm uncomfortable surrounded by people passing, competition pressure, and my inner doubts. Any suggestions on beating this?

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Dec 6, 2008
    227. Sep 10, 2011 12:28 PM (in response to mkayc)

mkayc

I have two (alternate) suggestions for you. The first would be that when you feel that you're too stressed (winded, legs tired, whatever), slow down. That was one of the best pieces of advice that I have ever received, and just knowing that I *can* slow down if I need to tends to take the pressure off. The second would be to try alternating running and walking in your training, which would give you practice in starting to run again after a walk break. It's a well recognized strategy (and was used by the winner (Hal Higdon, IIRC) of a world master's marathon).

So, I just competed in what may be a record for smallest 5K, with only 7 or 8 runners. It was in my home town (population < 4000), which is how I happened to hear about it. It also included part of my regular winter running route with a back road I'd never run on before. The weather was clear, sunny, and dry (after several days of hours of rain followed by hours of mugginess); the starting temperature in the high 50s, and the finishing temperature in the low 60s. I was a little worried that with such a small group I might finish last -- there was a guy running who looked to be in his 40s, another woman I figured to be close to my age, 3 young women (one had a Beach to Beacon 10K tee shirt on, as she had run that race in August -- she said that Joan Samuelson was there and shook each finisher's hand as they came past the finish line), and a younger girl who might have been 12 or 13. My time was 27:18, which I didn't think was bad, although not as fast as my time in August, on a hillier course, and I didn't finish last. In fact, about half way through the race I passed the man who was running, and I finished first -- not just age group, not just female -- I actually won the race. It made for a pretty good start for the day.

Robin

Jun 8, 2011
    228. Sep 10, 2011 12:48 PM (in response to RobinfromMaine)

Robin, Congratulations! What a great experience! You must have felt wonderful. 27:18 is impressive. If I ever break 30 min., I WILL be celebrating.

Also, thanks for the training advice. I was looking returning to intervals as a setback that would interfere with my goal to steadily increase time and distance but if I think of it as conditioning myself to get used to running after walking, I may be able to do intervals again and will have a better chance to train for a half by May, which is my goal.

mk

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    229. Sep 10, 2011 7:18 PM (in response to coolbikermom)

Way to go Robin!!! Congratulations on your win!!

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

Jun 8, 2011
    230. Sep 17, 2011 8:36 PM (in response to RobinfromMaine)
    50 and over, 5k and beyond - Race Reports

Well, I started out too fast and by the second mile when it started getting hilly I started getting discouraged and let myself walk a couple of min. but told myself I was going to start running again at the top of the hills and did. Also, I was using the C25k 45 min run app and it had passed the middle but I sensed I was not passed the middle of the course yet so I suspected the run was more than a 5k. I should be able to chill about these things but being such a new runner, it makes a difference to me when I sign up for a run if they tack on another half mile. That's exactly what happened. The app said I had run 45 min and I had another half mile to run. I knew I wasn't running slowly, even with the three minutes of walking. Well that really discouraged me so I ran out the "cool down" five minutes and then started walking. My official time was something less than 52 min but the app stopped long before I got in sight of the end. I hate the fact that I walked over the finish line but with that kind of time it really made very little difference. I need to get back to training and stop futzing around with these races. Two more weeks and I'm done until next spring. It was a good experience but I'm still not having fun and do not feel like a runner, just like I give new meaning to the term *also ran*.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Dec 6, 2008
    231. Sep 18, 2011 5:28 AM (in response to mkayc)

Hey, Mary Kay

If I'm reading your post correctly, you ran almost EIGHT AND A HALF MINUTES FASTER ON A COURSE THAT WAS ALMOST 1/2 MILE LONGER!. That kind of improvement is awesome!

Trail courses are, I think, harder than road races, and definitely slower. We had a trail race in early July, and the winner, a HS cross-country runner, ran about 19 minutes. Two weeks later the same guy ran a road race in 16 1/2 minutes, 2 1/2 minutes faster (so I figured I was also at least that much slower on the trail.)

The other thing about races is that, for all the fun of running with other people, camaraderie, cheering, we are running harder than in training, and that means that they are more work, so the *fun* is relative. For me, the good things about running are how I feel when I finish a run, how I feel about being able to run, and the long slow distances (and very occasionally shorter runs), when I feel as if I'm in a groove and can let my mind drift off -- and even then it's not effortless the way it looks when I see other runners.

Robin

Jun 8, 2011
    232. Sep 18, 2011 5:51 PM (in response to RobinfromMaine)

Robin, thank you so much. Your words were so encouraging. You are completely correct, too. Trails are way harder than road races. This one though was half paved and the other half packed gravel. The Powder Keg that I ran right before it was a killer dirt trail with fallen logs, on a hot and humid morning with a mud wall that never ended. I walked half the course. My time on that race was only 8 min longer so that was my comparison. I really expected my results on this race to be closer to 45 min. and definitely under 50 min. Eh, it's only time but that's why I was not happy. You said, "For me, the good things about running are how I feel when I finish a run, how I feel about being able to run, and the long slow distances (and very occasionally shorter runs), when I feel as if I'm in a groove and can let my mind drift off -- and even then it's not effortless the way it looks when I see other runners." It's the story of my life that I'm focused on the results and missing the pleasure of the journey; I will look for these things during next Saturday's race for the cure. I've run for months on the course so the only thing I'll be battling will be the crowd. Since my goal is to run the whole race, I think I stand a good chance of making it so maybe I can relax and enjoy the trip.

Got last night's race results today and they are age graded, which appears to mean they apply some formula to convert all the times to what they would be if the runner were a male age 20-29 and then rank them. In raw times, I came in 102/112 but age graded I was 79/112. What I loved about this was the time. My 51:44 became 38:54. I don't know about you guys but when I've seen some of the posts on here of people who started at the same time I started and are now running way faster or farther I've often wondered how much age affected my results or if I was just not working hard enough. This conversion helps tremendously. It tells me that my 14:30 m.m. pace was about equal to that of 11 m.m. for a younger person (who can easily run at 7 or 8 mm) which means it's likely I can push harder and expect to shave 3 min. without injury. It's good to know. I'd love to run faster, just don't want to jeopardize running with a setback. 

Happy runs to all this week.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

Jun 8, 2011
    233. Sep 24, 2011 9:43 AM (in response to mkayc)

Today's race 42:35 with avg. pace under 14. Trouble was I walked at least half a mile. Being in a crowd that size with so much hype was exciting. I got swept up in the mood. Started out too fast and lost my pace again toward the middle. It was so hard to let hoards of people pass. It seemed like hundreds. Trouble is you don't see the ones who aren't passing. Then when I tried to restart running after taking a walk break in the middle, I got discouraged because I was surrounded by walkers (they had different colored bibs). So, I bought into *I might as well walk because I'm so slow and miserable*. In the end, though my time was way better than I expected so I was only miserable awhile. Anyone else run this weekend?

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    234. Sep 24, 2011 10:56 AM (in response to mkayc)

Congratulations Mary Kay!  I understand your excitement in the beginning of a race. I did a local school 5K today, about 300 runners but it seemed like 3 million kids!!  All starting out like rabbits, then bowing up and stopping in the middle of the road within the first 200 yards. grrr.....  I planned to start out slow, just not to get run over, so lined up in the middle. My HR during the first half was 175!!! I ddin't know it could go over 165! Guess, my max HR was higher than I thought. Anyhow, slowed myself down to get into a good rythmn and pace.  The course was rolling hills, nothting major, more overall down hill first half, so that meant more uphill on last half, but I was good for it.  My mentor had been telling me I could do a 9 min pace. I laughed....no way. BUT, I did it. My unofficial time was 28:28 and distance of 3.18 according to Garmin for a 8:56 pace.  I almost had a heart attack when I saw that....from disbelief!  Temp was around 65 deg overcast skys, perfect running weather.

I got 1st place in my age group- 60-65 female., good for an insulated cup. Would you believe they gave awards 3 deep for ages, under 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 So each of those kids should have gotten an award. I think that is a great wayr to encourage participation and hopefully set a lifelong pattern of activity for these kids....now if they can just learn to not stop in the middle of the road.

One funny thing happened in the last .2 of the race. I passed between a  man & a woman (both in the 30-40 age range). Then just before the finish line, the man came blowing by me.....guess he didn't want to get chicked by an OLD HEN!

Happy running everyone!

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

Dec 6, 2008
    235. Sep 25, 2011 3:12 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay  -- congratulations on your 5K and better-than-expected time. That's one of the reasons a lot of people use a run walk method, better times than trying to run the whole distance. Fewer injuries and more fun are other reasons. I should say that I had been running for about 14 months before it occurred to me to run a race. I look forward to reading your race reports next year.

Marie -- way to go! What a great time!

I didn't race this weekend, but I did run. Five miles yesterday, at a relatively faster pace (I still haven't figured out what speed makes a training run or a lactic acid threshold, but I do know that somehow it's never as fast as what happens in a race, and I don't know how that happens). Saturday is often a faster day, because I don't run on Wednesday or Friday, so my legs are rested. Today I slept late (7 a.m., waking from a dream of having arrived somewhere and having forgotten to pack my running gear), and it was sprinkling. By 9 a.m. I'd had breakfast and the sun was out, with the forecast for sun and temperatures in the 70s or 80s. I figured it was time to try out the hydration belt I'd picked up at the New Balance Tent sale, since we probably won't have another warm Sunday in Maine for another 9-10 months. I typically run 9.5 miles for my long slow distance, and don't need to do more than have a few sips of water before I leave, but it's usually not this warm. I decided to justify the hydration belt by running 13.5 miles, and found that it worked pretty well (although I think that it might have leaked just a little -- not sure.) Now I'm a little sore, but planning to run again tomorrow, but not far, and not fast. Some runners would call it a "junk" run, but I find at an older age that keeping up the mileage is important, so I'm calling it a recovery run.

I hope everyone else had a good weekend.

Robin

Jun 8, 2011
    236. Sep 25, 2011 7:16 PM (in response to RobinfromMaine)

Ladies, reading about what you are doing is so inspiring! I had no idea I could hope to run that fast, Marie. I can't wait to get back to training. I love running fast but gave up on it because of my age and breathing problems but hell, if my body can still learn to process oxygen more efficiently, I could really have some fun. I was thinking the best a person my age could hope for was around 11 min. mi. Robin, I get the walk, run, issue now sorta. I'm glad I listened to you and refused to give up trying to restart running. I still prefer running without walking, though. I need an attitude adjustment. For some reason, I just don't feel good if I stop. It's all mental. Maybe if I knew more. Anyway, thanks. This Saturday is a hill run for the second half so I will have to walk at some point since i am not ready for 1+ miles of straight up. so it goes.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    237. Sep 26, 2011 10:02 AM (in response to coolbikermom)

Ran the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure yesterday with 19,000+ of my closest friends!

I ran in memory of my Aunt Audrey, and for dear friends Ann, Marie, Sue, Susan, Cyndi, Marilyn and Valerie who are survivors of this terrible disease. The event was very well run, with lots of volunteers, information stations and most important -- port-a-potties!  The vibe was electric with the record breaking number of participants, and all the emotion and support for loved ones shown by crowd. 

This was my first race since running the sweltering and poorly run(no water) 10k in July.  Yesterday's weather was in the low 60's, gusty winds coming off Lake Michigan to make things interesting.  The race was not timed, so I had to depend on my trusty Timex Ironman watch for timing.  

The best thing about a race with thousands of people is you have no other option than to start slow until the crowd thins out.  The start was located at our stunning Santiago Calatrava designed art museum, and the first mile and a half was along the beautiful lakefront.  As the first 1.5 mile completed, there is a .5 mile hill called the Komen Klimb.  Previous courses I've run have all had hills that beat me up.  My goal was to run this hill, no walking, no stopping, no excuses.  The hill was flanked on both sides with hundreds of area high school cheerleaders, complete with rousing cheers, pom-pons and high fives.  I can't tell you how encouraging they were, and without that boost of enthusiasm I don't believe I would have been able to conquer the hill.

The final 1.1 mile of the race weaved through the downtown area with 12 turns!  As the turns progressed, it was fascinating to look back and see the river of PINK flow through the streets!  As I made the final turn, finishing under 36 minutes was another goal.  I mustered up my remaining energy, set my sights on the arch of pink balloons at the finish line, and.....squeeked in at 35:57!  Whoo-hoo! 

Stretched out the ol' muscles, grabbed some coffee and got home before the thunderstorms and 2" of rain started.

Next weekend, running in a much smaller race(only 60 signed up to date), but another worthy cause to support.

Jun 8, 2011
    238. Oct 6, 2011 7:59 AM (in response to girlintheorchard)

@Girlintheorchard - I also enjoyed the Race for the Cure because of how well it was organized, the many vendors and the route. I was overwhelmed by the crowd but hope by next year to be able to relax into that.

I just finished what I thought was my last race for this season, a 5k "Reggae Run". I was all worried because the start and end were at the top of a hill and the course, of course, was down and back up. Thousands of folks showed up - a sea of people - and it seemed like no one had any intention of running. I didn't get the memo. Maybe the four beer tickets and reggae music to midnight should have been a clue? I see nothing wrong with sweating a little before drinking but evidently others couldn't be bothered and they were all over the roads and the roads weren't big enough. So, I had to either run in the grass dodging in and out or walk most of the way. Live and learn.

So, maybe it was frustration, guilt or some form of masochism but I registered for a 10k on Thanksgiving. My longest run up to last Saturday was 3.2 mi. and I have 7 wks. to get to 6.2 mi. Any thoughts on the best way to train for this? Because I am so slow, I'm planning to run the B210k plan for distance rather than time; I'm almost at 60 min. now. The other plans I saw didn't accomplish 6 mi. within the 7 wks. The good news was that Sunday, after the fake Saturday race, I ran 4.1 mi. at my best pace ever. And then Tuesday, I struggled after two miles and quit at 3. So, what if my body doesn't cooperate with my training plans.

Mary Kay

Mary Kay

• justrundan Legend 202 posts since
    Jul 22, 2011
    239. Oct 7, 2011 1:56 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay-that reggae run sounds like a mess-way to stick with it.

I am doing a 10K in November also, and have only done 5K races thus far.  What you can do is plan a slightly longer run once weekly- run it at a slower pace, don't try for a great time.  the other days you run a normal distance, for you-maybe 2 or 3 miles, at a slightly faster pace.  each week make your "long, slow run" 0.5 miles longer, to get your body used to the pounding.  By Thanksgiving you will be able to do the 6.2 miles.  The key is gradually increasing your distance, and only once weekly, to allow your body to adjust and not get injured.

Hope that helps.

Dan-started running 1/29/2011 at age 57

notable 2012 runs:

Crazylegs Classic-Madison-8K--4/28/2012--00:52:14

Roxbury Rural Run--5K--5/5/2012-- 29:32-PR

Haslanger Classic--10K--8/4/2012--1:06:19 PR

WO-ZHA-WA Run--HM--9/15/2012--2:37:45

Honky Tonk Marathon- Wisconsin Dells- 10/21/2012-5:39:09

2013 runs:

Fleet Feet New Year's Day Dash-8K-1/1/2013--54:23

Door County HM- 5/4/2013

Fox Cities HM- 9/22/2013 (60thBD!)