NEED HELP?|

2564 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2005 4:14 PM by triruth
weeksvida Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 12, 2005 8:20 PM

looking for olympic distance taper

Hi,

I am looking for a good taper program for olympic distance Tri.  my "A" race is in 13 days and I would like to get a good 10 taper.  Any suggestions?

• WaterDog66 Amateur 39 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Sep 12, 2005 9:26 PM (in response to weeksvida)
    Re: looking for olympic distance taper

I also have my "A" list Olympic in 13 days and will be doing my final brick tomorrow.

I plan on doing nothing but extremly low intensity miles over the coming days mostly just to stay loose and do nothing but rest for the final 5 days before the race:

Swim no more than 250 meters in at least 15 minutes.

Run no more than 2 miles in at least 20 minutes.

Ride no more than 10 miles in 45 minutes.

No more than one event per day.

the key is to keep my HR at 50% or below.

Lots of Fruit and Veggies (And Oatmeal) will definitely be the order of the day,

Good luck with your event and hope that you find a taper that will put you at ease.

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Sep 13, 2005 8:10 AM (in response to weeksvida)

Not to argue with the basic philosophy of the last advice, but ride a bike 10 miles in 45 minutes?  That's 4.5 miles per hour.  How do you not fall over pedaling that slow?  I would say, go out and ride, take it easy, try to stay in the 12 mph range on the flats, spin up any hills.

• jkenny5150 Legend 252 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Sep 13, 2005 1:03 PM (in response to weeksvida)

I am not a math major, only an engineer, but my calculations say that 10 mph in 45 minutes is averaging 13.33 mph.  I think that's about right for a warm down pace.

• omabikeryder Legend 289 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    4. Sep 13, 2005 2:53 PM (in response to weeksvida)

My bad.  You're right on both counts.

• triruth Pro 174 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Sep 13, 2005 4:14 PM (in response to weeksvida)

Definitely don't cut out all of your intensity during your taper, just do less of it. A few short efforts will help you keep your "pop" for race day. Recovery is the #1 concern, but you can recover while doing a few very short speed bursts (not intervals) like jumps on the bike, pickups or strides running, and a couple fast 50's in the pool. You won't realize any fitness from them, but I find that it helps the effort in racing feel more natural. Also, practice your transition procedures during your taper.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...