Skip navigation

3814 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2011 8:53 PM by Michael_Taylor RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 10, 2011 5:40 AM

Take off that bandaid

OK, who agrees with the Yankees and Home Plate Umpire that made the Detroit Relief Pitcher removed the bandaide from his cheak?

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    1. Oct 10, 2011 7:00 AM (in response to Lou_B)
    Re: Take off that bandaid

Didn't watch the game, but if it was determined that the band-aid harbored a potential "problem" substance----example, vaseline--[ala Gaylord Perry]----I agree, off it comes. I would think an on-site medical person would have a say as to the need for a band-aid.

If no "problem" substance-------IMO--no harm no foul---it stays on.

I have seen MLB pitchers who cut themselves shaving allowed to cover same with a band-aid.

BTW----was there a "distraction" complaint made by an opposing batter? Albeit, you did note "Yankees" (evidently) wanted it off.

Frank!

• Rich_Ives Legend 1,283 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Oct 10, 2011 7:38 AM (in response to Lou_B)
    Take off that bandaid

I agree.  The thing was bigger than Texas. Covering a bump caused by. reportedly, an ingrown hair. Not an open wound. Really a "What the He!!?" thing when first seen.

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Oct 10, 2011 8:10 AM (in response to Lou_B)
    Take off that bandaid

Still checking my anatomy dictionary trying to find out where on the body we have a cheak?  LOL    TM

• BlueBeak Legend 300 posts since
    Nov 26, 2002
    5. Oct 10, 2011 8:59 AM (in response to Rich_Ives)
    Take off that bandaid

Don-

They are located on either side of the noze.

Time wounds all heels.....

May 30, 2007
    6. Oct 10, 2011 9:43 AM (in response to BlueBeak)

...... to say nothing about the two south of the tailbone and north of the thighs. 

Frank!

May 30, 2007
    8. Oct 10, 2011 1:55 PM (in response to Frank_B)
    Take off that bandaid

If it was as big as Rhode Island, I would have no problem with it-----but, bigger than Texas? No way!! 

Frank!

May 25, 2007
    9. Oct 10, 2011 1:57 PM (in response to Lou_B)
    Take off that bandaid

I reasonably sure but not 100% positive that I heard the announcers say that the Tigers had made a Yankee pitcher take something off the previous game.

• NELL_blue Legend 303 posts since
    May 21, 2010
    10. Oct 10, 2011 3:37 PM (in response to Lou_B)
    Take off that bandaid

I sure wish we could see it. But if a batter asked me and told me it was a distraction to him during delivery? Off it would come!

Aslong as medical personel agree that there is no obvious need for it. Put some neosporin on it and get back to pitching!

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• Michael_Taylor Community Moderator 318 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. Oct 10, 2011 8:14 PM (in response to Lou_B)
    Take off that bandaid

I never understood of the hoopla about stuff on pitchers that isn't their pitching arm. If you are looking at his cheek, or a multi colored glove, you are looking at the wrong thing and on the road to striking out.

Michael S. Taylor

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    13. Oct 11, 2011 12:53 PM (in response to Lou_B)

I don't agree with it at all.  This would have been one of those situations that, had a manager approached me in a LL game and asked me to have the pitcher remove the bandaid, I would've asked him if he REALLY wanted me to start enforcing uniform rules against his team.

This was totally bogus.  I've seen MLB pitchers wear the most gawdy-looking necklaces around their necks.  Some pitchers wear funky-looking glasses.  Others use quirky pitching motions.  Ever see Ryan Dempster wiggle his glove just before he delivers a pitch?  Those are bigger distractions to me than a flesh-colored bandage. 

What, will someone complain if a black pitcher has those white patches on his face due to depigmentation?  What about a black pitcher with a blond or white mustache or goatee?

I lost respect for Joe Girardi.  The Yankees should be much better than that.  The result of the game was just rewards, IMHO.

May 25, 2007
    14. Oct 11, 2011 1:30 PM (in response to Manny_A)
    Take off that bandaid

Are you kidding?  It was an eye magnet. One look and you're saying to yourself "WTF?"  And you think it's not a distraction?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...