Skip navigation

8040 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 10, 2011 9:39 AM by johntexdude RSS
Mrs TK Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 1, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 18, 2010 6:47 AM

What to do?  I crave sweets and the like...

I have lost every battle so far to sweets.  If there are sweets or "good" food out, I go for the sweets.  I eat them until they are gone.  What is up with this?  I go without and my body rebels.  Any help, pointers, etc would be greatly appreciated.  I want this cycle to end!!!!  

• ChampionFitPro Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 17, 2010
    1. Jan 19, 2010 7:15 AM (in response to Mrs TK)
    Re: What to do? I crave sweets and the like...

We have a product called SLIM that helps with appetite control, cravings and helps burn extra calories.

Kyle McComb

Advocare Advisor

www.socaladvocare.com

• KIKat Expert 27 posts since
    Sep 18, 2009
    2. Jan 19, 2010 8:06 PM (in response to Mrs TK)

I go through the same thing.  After working out or after meals I've been needing sweetness in some form or another.  Here's what I do to get rid of the craving.

- A serving of dry cereal, something kind of sweet but not too junky.  I'm big into Kashi Island Vanilla Whole Wheat biscuits.

- Tea, green or I've found that peppermint is nice too.  Not everyone is a "mint" person though... A serving of honey is awesome in there as well.

- I've cut my sugar for tea and coffee by buying the Splenda mixture now.  I think it's real sugar and Splends combined in one, resealable zip bag.

- Small squares of dark chocolate.  Down a glass of water with it to savor the flavor and get your water intake going.

- Dries fruit and/or yogurt covered almonds

- Have your cheat day!  I usually use Sundays as "Pancake Sunday" or have a serving of REAL ice cream.  I always measure things out though, so as not to go too crazy.

Hope this helps a bit.  I know it's not as easy as it sounds but maybe it'll assist in controlling the cravings.

Kat

If you say you can't, you're right.

Twitter - KIKat1029

• hippie biker chick Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 9, 2008
    3. Jan 22, 2010 2:37 PM (in response to Mrs TK)

I have found that when my body is short on protein I really really crave sweets- of course since I don't keep anything that I can't eat in the house, albeit frozen, this means that I am sometimes found sucking down a spoonful or two of raw sugar or honey which satiate me really fast, after which I munch down some protein and a lot of filler type veggies and fruits.

You might want to take a look at your balance between carbo, fat and protein and try tweaking the amounts a bit.

You might also take a look at what you are eating before you start craving sweets and see if you can identify any triggers.  For me it is beer and wine which means that I never have those in the house.  It also helps to keep all the sweets gone as well.  Somehow making a trip to a store to get a sweet fix is usually something I can talk myself out of.

hth

marni in sugar land texas

amazon biker- geared, tyred and cranky

• lindalemonjello Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 26, 2009
    4. Jan 26, 2010 11:25 PM (in response to Mrs TK)

I used to go through the same thing - intense carb cravings that would send me out in a blizzard at midnight for chocolate cookies - but not any more. After an intense training cycle last summer, my body completely shut down – it was as if I’d been it by a bus.  My carb cravings were intense, but I was resisting them.

I underwent a nutrition analysis, and found that I was not eating nearly enough carbs to support my athletic endeavors.  My body was crying out for what it needed, and I wasn’t giving in.

I completely changed my diet around to include more good carbohydrates. I eat carbs to protein in about a 4 to1 ratio, which is based on what Nancy Clark recommends. Immediately, I began feeling a whole lot better – and my crazy sweets cravings disappeared over night, never to bother me since.

Is it possible that you might need to add some carbs to your diet to compensate for an active lifestyle? Your body might be telling you something.

Steelcut oatmeal, barley and lots of fruit are hardly foods associated with weight gain – it might be worth a try upping these items in your overall diet while reducing protein and fat to compensate for any increased calories. Worth a little experimentation, don’t you think?

• upbeat Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 28, 2010
    5. Jan 28, 2010 1:20 PM (in response to Mrs TK)
    Free upBeat! coupon

upBeat! is an energy refresher with 100 calories, 7 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber.
    Visit http://coupon.upbeatenergy.com to receive your FREE coupon. upBeat! is sold only at Hy-Vee.

• moe10 Rookie 6 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009
    6. Feb 4, 2010 3:33 PM (in response to Mrs TK)

ok, this will be hard at first but if u give yourself 2 weeks , it will get better. do not buy anything with sugar in it..read every label and completly get sugar out of your system. this includes sugars from honey,bananas,mangos, anything sold in a box has sugar in it..read it. your body will hate you for about 10 days.. once you pass this you can slowly add natural sugars back into your diet. Like apples, pears,berries, only 1/2 banana 2 times a week, ...no sugars also include no white starches...no potatoes,rice,white bread,pastas...look into a product called quinoa and eziekial bread. the whole idea is to rid the body of fake sugars and introduce real sugars at a good level..good luck

• whythehellnot Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    7. Feb 6, 2010 11:08 AM (in response to Mrs TK)

I can totally relate! For me, sweets were available in abundance when I was a kid, with no limits. Other kids used to be jealous that I would get cakes and cookies in my lunch and I would wonder why their moms were so mean to deprive them.

I really believe that the post-industrial revolution and subsequent super-cheap sugar refinery, combined with reactions to food restrictions during the depression, lead to my parents generation of over indulgence. In both sugar and meat. During the depression, having some meat was a sure sign that you were doing ok and your family had good means to survive, more so than people who didn't. So when this ended and suddenly the mass market could provide meat for everyone through artificial means.... suddenly it became necessary to eat meat every day, but that is only because it was available. I don't think people were meant to eat a big chunk of meat every day and yet many people (especially my parents generation) feel that a meal is not complete without a big steak or full chicken breast etc.

As for sugar, (and again this is just what I believe, I have no references to anything to back me up here, just speaking from the heart) its the same thing. Sugar was rationed during those times around WW2 and then all of a sudden it was cheaper than anything and everyone could have as much as they want. Its no secret why, evolutionarily speaking, we are designed to crave sugar, fat and meat... the macronutrients that keep us alive. But we have introduced the abundance and availability of these things faster than our bodies could adapt to it.

Eating simple sugars causes enormous spikes in our bood sugar levels... exhausts the systems in place to deal with them, and our levels crash, leaving our bodies feeling like we are deficient in sugar. So we crave it like we will die if we don't have it (well, those of us who overindulge or have the habit to... NOW I am the one who is jealous of those kids that weren't allowed to eat sweets because they can sit next to a bag of M&M's and be able to not eat the whole bag or obsess over it).

The only answer, I believe, for people like us who have the uncontrollable cravings for sugar is to get rid of it. The poster above has a really good plan lined out... you have to get rid of it to get those spikes in bloodsugar levels to balance out. And then bring back the natural fruit sugars slowly and carry on like this for a long time. Type 2 diabetes can be completely controlled by diet so it is never too late.

Of course having said all of this from experience having once purged myself of sugar craving madness... I confess I didn't stick with it and eventually went back to old habits and I still get those insane cravings. Having just been ill for almost 2 months I can't wait to get back out running again because I find the only thing that helps is having enough exercise and slowly resisting the cravings until I can wean off of the sugar indulgences more and more...

For some of us its a battle and then for others, they have no desire for sweets at all. Can I blame my mother for my problems please? :^)

• how2runfast Legend 207 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    8. Mar 19, 2010 3:37 AM (in response to Mrs TK)

There's a good book out, called The Skinny: On Losing Weight Without Being Hungry - The Ultimate Guide to Weight Loss Success.  It's written by Dr. Louis Aronne, Director of the Comprehensive Weight Control Program at New York–Presbyterian Hospital /Weill Cornell Medical Center.  It give some very practical, step-by-step advice on how to train your body to stop eating when you have eaten enough, rather than gorge on sweets.

Mike

Boston Marathon Finisher

How 2 Run Fast

Follow me on Twitter

Albany (NY) Times Union Runners Blog

• KK74 Amateur 38 posts since
    May 19, 2009
    9. Mar 31, 2010 9:59 PM (in response to how2runfast)

This is what I need to read! Just ate some cadbury eggs. I knew what I was doing, it was a choice, but able to "rationalize" that I worked out but it's the same ol' thing: workout, eat pretty good with fruits/veggies, good protein, drink water, but then sweets. Did have 90% cacao chocolate with strawberries and there is a definite taste difference than regular chocolate and 1 square is enough. I am able to maintain my current weight so yeah that's good, but I don't want to do it anymore. So, I'll do the 10day, (I can do it with soda) and follow some of the other ideas so that I can have control over sugar and my want so that my body can lose and be fitter.. and of course really see the difference with workouts !

Half Marathon in July and then in August, another sprint triathlon and want to look even hotter!

kelly

• DaveKristof Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 26, 2010
    10. Apr 10, 2011 11:00 AM (in response to Mrs TK)

Read "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson.  Started reading it a week ago, and just by STARTING to follow his advice (still have a lot of food in the house I shouldn't eat), I've lost weight and the cravings for candy have gone away.  Looking forward to my next lipid panel to see how the changes I'm making affect my numbers... that'll probably be in late May/early June.

• johntexdude Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 7, 2011
    11. Oct 10, 2011 9:39 AM (in response to Mrs TK)
    What to do? I crave sweets and the like...

You might actually craving endorphine, so try working out instead of eaing sweets.

Good luck!

Free IQ Test

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points