Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

852 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2011 5:33 AM by ashleyw028
ashleyw028 Rookie 5 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 10, 2011 5:49 PM

Hills and Speedwork

I run on average 5 days and 25 miles a week, and am interested in beginning some speed and hill work.  Is it recommended to do both in the same week, or to only do one or the other?  I have also found a good deal of information on speed work, but not as much on hill work.  I run primarily on a treadmill, so it is easy to control the grade, but I'm just unsure of where to start.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

• umpy4 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 9, 2011
    1. Oct 10, 2011 6:10 PM (in response to ashleyw028)
    Hills and Speedwork

If you have not done alot of hills I would start on the tred at about 4-5% incline at a slow just faster then a talking rate for 3-5 min then recover and repeat. As time goes on increase incline and hill time and decrease recovery time. Working up to 5min hills 2min recovery would realy make a diffence in your running.

• umpy4 Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 9, 2011
    3. Oct 10, 2011 6:36 PM (in response to ashleyw028)
    Hills and Speedwork

I rotate hill every other week and speed on the odd weeks. Now know that I only run 3 days a week and cross with spin class. If you run 5 to 7 you could do one a week.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Oct 11, 2011 5:17 AM (in response to umpy4)
    Hills and Speedwork

I don't run on a treadmill my workouts are all outside.  I would just start with adding 1 either a hill or a speed workout a week, after several months go to 2 a week.  My weeks are:  Mon (speed or hills), Tues easy core and upper body, Wed (speed), Thr core and  upper body, Fri moderate pace, Sat long, Sun rest.  My speed days are varied: hills, interval, tempos, farfleks, ect, mix it up for best results.  Good luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...