Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1264 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2011 2:00 PM by SpinsterBeth RSS
SpinsterBeth Rookie 2 posts since
Sep 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 8, 2011 6:15 PM

I Was Doing Great Until ...

I have been doing the couch-to-5k since late August, and until this week, I was doing very well on it. This last Monday, 3 October, was day 1 of week six. I did that run successfully, but when Wednesday came around, I could barely run. It was as if someone switched off my energy supply. It's Saturday now, and I have not been able to recover my previous stamina. I'm not starving myself. I've lost 11 pounds since the end of August, which is very sensible. I'm drinking water (I don't drink alcohol) and eating healthy meals. I'm having some allergy issues, but I can't imagine that would rob me of my stamina. All I can say is Monday I could run 3/4 of a mile, walk 1/4 mile, then run another 3/4 of a mile. Now I can't. Nothing hurts, I'm not having trouble breathing -- I just lost my energy. Help!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,310 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    1. Oct 8, 2011 7:27 PM (in response to SpinsterBeth)

Some allergy medicines do that to me, plus your body's reaction to the allergies can make it harder to run.

Personally I would consider 11 pounds in a month to be a lot, but that is partly relative to your weight and your conditioning.  Even so, I don't think that would have such a sudden effect.

Len

Len

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Oct 11, 2011 7:03 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Have you had blood work done lately to check to see if you are anemic, (low iron)? 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points