Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

23173 Views 46 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2012 7:39 PM by CKLindsay RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • DebDz578 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 24, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Sep 15, 2011 7:03 AM (in response to d74323c)
    I must be the slowest penguin ever.

I know people always say you'll get faster, and I have even heard people say that time is too slow. I don't listen to anyone but my own body. I have been running for a year now. I started not being able to run for a few minutes without being exhausted. I used the couch to 5k program and a year later I'm ready to run a 1/2 marathon in a month. I have already gotten up to 11 miles and know I can go farther. That is a huge accomplishment! But at the same time I have NEVER gotten faster. I have averaged about a 12:30 mile since the very beginning. I know I'm not fast and I will never win the races I compete in, but for me its never been about speed but just doing it. I will say on short runs (like 5k) I am naturally a little bit faster without having ever tried to be that way. But in my opinion its not about that. I say good job to you for even being a runner!

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch." - Unknown.

• Snerb Pro 140 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    31. Sep 15, 2011 7:19 AM (in response to d74323c)

Run your pace.  Who cares how fast or slow it is, run your pace.

PR's

5k - 24:26

5k Trail - 24:57

5 Mile - 39:52

10k - 51:19

10k Trail - 53:15

• Debbie Kimbriel Amateur 13 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    32. Sep 15, 2011 8:40 AM (in response to d74323c)

I'm a beginner like you.  Don't worry, you will find that on race day you will run much faster than you do every day.  The adrenaline, the competition, the excitement all make you run faster (at least for a 5k).  Because of that, a word of caution:  don't start too fast.  Run your 13 minute pace for the first mile, then pick it up if you feel okay.  The best way not to finish is to run way too fast at the start.  Remember, for the first 2 years, finishing a race is a win!!!!

• Lawrence Wong Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011
    33. Sep 15, 2011 10:05 AM (in response to d74323c)

Distance first, then speed....my first 5k was over 37 minutes, so its nothing to worrk about.  That being said and if you still feel speed is important, just remember it's not how you run the first mile, it's how you run the last mile.  Have fun!!!

• Sioux0707 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    34. Sep 15, 2011 10:22 AM (in response to d74323c)

No, you're not the slowest penguin ever.  I'm pretty slow myself.  I just started running about 3 months ago.  I did my first 5K after about 2 months, and I ran it in 44 minutes, and it wasn't even a real 5K.  The signage fell down so people started turning around before they were supposed to.  The race ended up being about 2.6 miles and THAT took me 44 minutes!  It was about a 17-minute mile.  My second 5K there were only about 25 registered for and they were all seasoned runners who left me in the dust after the first 5 yards!  I ran hard because I wanted to see if I could keep up with them.  I finished in 37 minutes, but I was dead last.  I was just so happy to run it in under 40 minutes that I didn't care that I was in dead last.  The rest of the runner were already home enjoying their coffee when I finished!  There was a woman in the race who was strolling along talking on her cell phone, and SHE beat me!!  It's humbling to be running and get passed by somebody walking.  I've learned that endurance is the most important.  Get your endurance up where you can comfortably run 5 miles no matter how slowly, then worry about speed.  But you don't even really need to worry about speed.  You're naturally get faster as you get in better shape.  Weight training helps I think because the stronger your legs are, the faster they'll carry you. 

• KeithSchumacher Rookie 1 posts since
    May 16, 2011
    35. Sep 15, 2011 11:24 AM (in response to d74323c)

I started running in July for a 5K in October. My fastest 3.1 at home was 50 minutes when I first started and I was walking a lot. The last 3.1 I ran last Sunday was 42:37. So speed does come with time. I run 2 miles to work on speed and I have gone from 40 minutes to 26:05 as of today. My breathing has gotten better and I feel stronger and I have never liked to run. So stick with the program and don't rush things. Everything will come together in time and you will have a great 10K in April. Happy Running!

Keith E. Schumacher

• Leeniepie Rookie 11 posts since
    Aug 28, 2006
    36. Sep 16, 2011 8:44 AM (in response to d74323c)

you are not the slowest ever! i have been 'running' on and off for the last 3 and a half years, and i 'run' about 13 min mile. on my home treadmill i do a 5k in about 40 mins, about 45 mins on the road, and can get it down to 37mins in the gym (super new shiny treadmills that dont require as much effort to run). i always feel inadequate, but then i think "well, its better than sitting on my butt all day"!

i did a 5k race this summer (my second ever) and broke all expectations and ran it in 34 mins, even though i walked a bit (hilly grassy terrain). i was so proud i practically jumped up and down!

quickly got knocked off my high by a friend who is a new runner and can do 5k in 30mins easily but then i though, no, i still did well, so forget them!

it doesnt matter how fast others go, i know its disheartening (a friend of mine has never run and is doing a marathon next year, she has just started and can do a 5k no trouble, whereas it took me 4 months to train), but everyone is built differently, and the fact that you're doing something that is hard proves you have both mental and physical strength, so plod on!!!

as for slogans - i love my tshirt i got in freshers week at uni (totally not running related merchandise) that says "i'm busy, you're ugly, have a nice day"

• Sunburned Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 16, 2011
    37. Sep 16, 2011 9:16 AM (in response to d74323c)

I'm so glad I found y'all!  I used to be able to run fast (20 years ago), but now I am grateful to run at all. 

Does anyone belong to a running club?  I want to join one, but I don't want to be finishing a half hour after everyone else.  Any thoughts?

• decinrtp Amateur 16 posts since
    May 27, 2011
    38. Sep 17, 2011 6:04 AM (in response to d74323c)

This is refreshing reading but if some of you are going at a snail's pace, I must be a slug.    I KNOW I can walk faster than I can run but I hope that will change in the coming months.

My training run/walks have me at 19:00 - 19:30/min mile.  I was going a tiny bit faster but have started running with an eye on my heart rate.  I must be more out of shape than I thought.  I'm doing a 5K next saturday and hope to finish under 50 mins (under 40 would be too awesome for words!).  I'm trying not to think about the 10k I'm slated to do in November - must have been feeling ambitious when I signed up for that one.

Keep on moving!

Dawn

NHL All-STAR 5k, Raleigh, NC, 1/2011 - ~60 min.

Run the Quay 5k, Fuquay-Varina, NC, 6/4/11 - 58:18

Run with Heart 5k, Morrisville, NC, 8/13/11 - 53:14

18th Annual Women's Distance Festival 5k, Raleigh, NC, 9/24/11 - 53:32

Old Reliable Run 10k, Raleigh, NC, 11/6/11 - 149:09

• Brett..K Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010
    39. Sep 27, 2011 4:51 PM (in response to d74323c)

Some runners aren't built for speed.  Be happy you can get out there and do what you can do.  If you want to run faster.... Run faster...  Simple.

• LisaRbl Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 7, 2011
    40. Oct 7, 2011 11:47 AM (in response to d74323c)

It makes me happy to see I have such good penguin company. I run for fitness but I save my grueling workouts for my other love (boxing). I like to enjoy the scenery and the fresh air while I'm running. While I keep a good workout pace (for me), I get to enjoy the outdoors even longer by being a penguin runner.

• ChubbyRunrGrl Amateur 31 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    41. Oct 10, 2011 12:37 PM (in response to d74323c)

I stopped trying to be faster a while ago. I run for fitness along with other types of cardio. I never enjoyed running, and I almost despised having to go run 2-3 miles because I wondered why I couldn't even get below an 11 minute pace.

One day I said, I'm going to totally disregard my time and run at a slow pace. So I did. If my breath started getting heavy, I slowed it down until it was comfortable and I just put one foot in front of the other. Seven miles later, I stopped in front of my house and determined that was the most enjoyable run I'd ever had. And I was still sweaty, got a good workout, but this time I was actually smiling, not just out of breath and relieved it was over. I ran a half marathon worried about pace the whole time, worried about being last, and I was pretty miserable the whole time and totally spent and sick afterward.

So I decided that's how I'm going to do every run. I don't care any more. Sometimes I see friends who run and push it and get PR's all the time. But you know, I'm still running, exercising and I feel pretty good. I sign up for a fun run or  every now and then just to keep me running and for the social aspect, but I'm in it to feel good about myself. If some speed comes from somewhere, that's great. But my next half marathon in the spring will be comfortable and low stress and just about the accomplishment.

Runner since 2009.

I used to run to get faster, but got tired of pushing it, panting and feeling disappointed.

Now I run to relax and enjoy, around a 12:30 - 13:00 average pace.

Starting to get into trail running - way slower, but highly enjoyable.

Try to run 15-20mi per week and spin 4-7 times per week.

Best race paces:

1 mile - 10:12

5K - 11:34

4mi - 11:32

10K - 11:15

Half Marathon - 13:20

I wear New Balance running gear (they have many choices in XXL, size 18).

I wear Moving Comfort heavy duty bras.

I wear New Balance 769/760/860 for stability and cushion.

I wear New Balance 904 for trails.

• abbynormaloh75 Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011
    42. Oct 11, 2011 11:27 AM (in response to ChubbyRunrGrl)

i can't thank you guys enough for this thread.  even if no one is reading it anymore. i sure hope there are some penguins out there reading this though, because I am smiling.  I just did a walk/run of a 5k today and managed 55:36.  but in that 55 minutes i ran 7 minutes.  Of course I am using the term RAN very loosely.  thanks for making my day.  and even though it seems i really am the slowest of the slow, at least i am off the couch.

• Bleigh630 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 7, 2011
    43. Oct 11, 2011 2:18 PM (in response to d74323c)

I'm reading this tread! You guys are my motovation! I just started really training a week ago. My best friend (hardcore marathon runner) convinced me to sign up for the Pittsburgh half marathon. So I thought 'OK I have 7mos to train' so I signed up. I have a 4 mos old & a 3 yr old who keep me active, but after starting my training I now realize how slow I am!! I did my 1st mile in 17mins, 2 days later in 16mins, but my endorance is at a zero. I'm only 4'11 so I keep making that my excuse, which needs to stop. I signed up for a 5k at Thanksgiving to hopfully give me motovation. I just want to finish the half under 3 hours, which seems impossible at this point. Just keep up the hard work penguins & keep on truckin'.

• Golden Tips Expert 39 posts since
    May 29, 2011
    44. Nov 17, 2011 10:39 PM (in response to abbynormaloh75)
    Re: I must be the slowest penguin ever.

Abby,

You are not the only one reading this thread. It is a nice reminder that we are not alone and that there are plenty of other penquins who enjoy running.

I have a look at this thread and other "penguin" threads when I need some additional motivation to keep on moving in spite of my slow pace.

February 17, 2012 Abu Dhabi Terry Fox Run (8.5K) (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - 48.24

September 3, 2011: 5K Race Against the Reds (Fredericton,Canada) – 33.51

August 1, 2011: NB Day 5K (Chipman, Canada) – 36.58

Bloghttp://ruralrouterunner.wordpress.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...