Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2255728 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 641 642 643 644 645 ... 760 Previous Next
  • flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    9,630. Oct 12, 2011 1:33 PM (in response to ffmedicmt)
    200+ Pound Club!

Congrats on your race!

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    9,631. Oct 12, 2011 2:01 PM (in response to ffmedicmt)
    200+ Pound Club!

I did not know they did a fall run over the Big Mac.  I will have to investigate this for next year's race planning!  Can't get the Man to do the Labor Day walk, he doesn't like crowds that size.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• RenataFK Pro 79 posts since
    Aug 23, 2011
    9,632. Oct 12, 2011 2:41 PM (in response to bbee42)
    200+ Pound Club!

I ended up having not one but 2 bowls of cereal.  And I don't mean the recommended portion either.  They were pretty full bowls. 

Also, my wife and I have a planned "ice cream day" once a month.  We have a local frozen custard place that both of us like.  Once a month is well off of what we used to do, so I feel pretty good about that.  Anyway, I find that I often drop a pound or so after those days as well.  Up till now I had assumed that this was just luck of the draw.

I do that a lot, not good indeed (cereal).

And as for the ice-cream, my husband and I (and kid) do it too, but once a WEEK! sometimes we trade for something else, a desert when we eat out or something like that... But we always do the treat, whatever it is, we have it. That makes us not get "sweet desperate" during the week, as we know we'll have something in the weekend.

What kind of low carb diet do you practice?

To me, the hardest thing is to have a varied diet. I like fruit, so I always have some. But as is common here, too much time at work, longish commutes, etc. don't leave a lot of time for cooking and preparing great healthy meals. So, I end up eating the very same things day in and day out for months and months. That can't work. I alway reach some plateau. And this time, since I am running and exercising most days, I haven't given up on the diet, but it has no variety at all. I've been having fruit, crackers, cereal, cheese, an occasional egg, sandwiches and oatmeal and that's pretty much it.

We have another 5k to run this weekend. This time it's a trail race in a lovely park we have here. I hope at least in a trail I walk less and run more! We'll see.

Been running/walking almost nothing these days. I still do it most days (6 times a week) but only like one mile run/walk and 30 mins stationary bike. Better than nothing but I feel I am not running as much.

That's that!

• RenataFK Pro 79 posts since
    Aug 23, 2011
    9,633. Oct 12, 2011 2:45 PM (in response to ffmedicmt)
    200+ Pound Club!

ffmedicmt wrote:

Well.....I did it!!! This past saturday I ran the Mackinaw Bridge 5.6 mile fal color race. I went the distance without walking and finished with a time of 56:20. I am very happy with it! It was up hill 5% grade for the first 1/2 of the race ad the wind was 10-15 mph in my face the entire race. It was one of the most diffacult thing I have ever done. Ill have to post a pic. to share. I also hit the 50# lost mark on that day as well. I have come a long way since July 1st and it feels great. My reward was 3 days of fishing and color viewing in Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula. THanks for the encourgement....Mike

Congratulations on your achievements! Awesome

• bbee42 Pro 78 posts since
    Aug 8, 2011
    9,634. Oct 12, 2011 3:28 PM (in response to RenataFK)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

RenataFK wrote:

I do that a lot, not good indeed (cereal).

And as for the ice-cream, my husband and I (and kid) do it too, but once a WEEK! sometimes we trade for something else, a desert when we eat out or something like that... But we always do the treat, whatever it is, we have it. That makes us not get "sweet desperate" during the week, as we know we'll have something in the weekend.

What kind of low carb diet do you practice?

To me, the hardest thing is to have a varied diet. I like fruit, so I always have some. But as is common here, too much time at work, longish commutes, etc. don't leave a lot of time for cooking and preparing great healthy meals. So, I end up eating the very same things day in and day out for months and months. That can't work. I alway reach some plateau. And this time, since I am running and exercising most days, I haven't given up on the diet, but it has no variety at all. I've been having fruit, crackers, cereal, cheese, an occasional egg, sandwiches and oatmeal and that's pretty much it.

We have another 5k to run this weekend. This time it's a trail race in a lovely park we have here. I hope at least in a trail I walk less and run more! We'll see.

Been running/walking almost nothing these days. I still do it most days (6 times a week) but only like one mile run/walk and 30 mins stationary bike. Better than nothing but I feel I am not running as much.

That's that!

I do a pretty straight low carb diet.  I don't really count my carbs so much as try to stay away from them altogether. 

You are right, it is difficult to get variety in.  There are some things to do, but I am pretty boring probably. 

I eat a lot of grilled boneless chicken breasts, and sometimes have broccoli and/or cauliflower with it.  I also get turkey burger patties and have those a lot. 

My absolute favorite thing to do is low carb pizza.  This is actually really good.  Basically most pizza toppings aren't too bad for low carb. The sauce has some carbs but it isn't crazy bad.  The problem is the crust.  What I do for that is get Flat Out bread (Brand Name) .  It's basically a sandwhich wrap that is pretty low in carbs and it tastes really good.  It makes a nice base for pizza.  So, I take that and bake it plain for about 10 minutes at 350 to crisp it up some.  Then I put on del monte canned pizza sauce. I generally layer pepperoni over that, then a layer of mozarella, then more pepperoni.  Sometimes I add mushrooms, black olives, and bacon bits as well.  All good low carb items.  Then bake it for an additional 13-15 minutes at 350. It makes a really really good tasting pizza.  I do miss the thicker crust of real pizza, but taste-wise, this is really good.  My kids can have take out pizza and I am more than happy to stick with mine.

I also get premade meatballs and sometimes have just those for a meal, with some spaghetti sauce and mozarella on top.

Another thing I've been doing lately is occasionally making hot dogs, but using romaine lettuce as a "bun".  No carbs and it tastes pretty good too.

For snacks, I eat a lot of unsalted almonds.  Sometimes I get them smoked too, but the sodium is so spiked on smoked almonds.  It seems like a good idea to avoid it.  Another good snack though is Atkins Endulge Peanut Caramel Cluster bars.  These look and taste a lot like a Payday bar.  They aren't quite as salty, or as sweet as a real Payday.  But they taste very good.  It doesn't seem like eating a diet bar.  I also like to get sugar free Werther's candies and sometimes sugar free jolly ranchers.  Both taste pretty much like the real thing.  I like to take a couple of the werthers with me when i run.  I pop one in and push it to the side of my mouth when i run.  When my mouth starts to dry out, i suck on it for a few minutes.  It actually helps a lot.

I also often do a meal replacement (generally one meal a day) with a premade atkins shake.  The only flavor I like on those is the vanilla ones.  It seems the least diety flavor of the ones I've tried.  I also used to make my own shake with protein powder, flaxseed, plain yogurt, and frozen fruit.  They are really good. A few extra carbs, but they taste a lot better.  I mostly don't do that now because ... well... I'm lazy.  It's a lot of mess to clean up after.

For going out to eat, we have some local KFC's that have all you can eat buffets, and I like to go there for the grilled chicken.  The nice thing about low carb is that it isn't as much volume/calorie restricted, so I can eat a fair amount of grilled chicken without feeling too guilty.  Going somewhere fancier, I generally get a steak and ask for steamed veggies on the side.  It usually works out OK.

I stay far away from the burger places if I can.

Oh!  And I travel a lot for work.  That makes it difficult sometimes, but I generally end up just getting dominos plain chicken wings delivered a lot.  I'm sure there is more carb content in them than I should really have, but it's a case of lesser of evils.  Only so much I can do.

2011 - C25K Graduate!!! (9/17/2011)

2011 - BridgeTo10K - W3 Slacker!

2012 - Started over but didn't finish the C25K program (MAJOR SLACKER!)

2013 - C25K Graduate Again!!! (NEVER GIVE UP!)

2013/9/20 - REV3 Glow Run Branson - Wasn't chip timed but finished in roughly 38 min.

2013 - December 4th - Began 1/2 Marathon Training

2014/3/10 - Kiss Me, I'm Irish 10K - 1:23:32.9 (PR! It counts even if it's my only 10K)

Future Races (Registered):

2014/4/5 - Bentonville Half Marathon!!!!

==========================================================

My running logs: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/506692

My Blog: http://goneafk.tumblr.com

Independent Rep for Isagenix Diet and Healthcare Products: http://bbee42.isagenix.com

• NickP1978 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 13, 2011
    9,635. Oct 13, 2011 5:31 AM (in response to bbee42)
    200+ Pound Club!

Hi all,

Great site.

First post so go easy !

I have been reading this site for months now, thanks to it managed my first 10k in July. Built this up from November last year when I could literally not run half a mile !

I am now planning to run half marathon in April. Must admit slacked a bit since July, just started again and running 3-4k 3 times a week.

With this in mind what are peoples thoughts about any half marathon training programmes???

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

• Zerorez Pro 154 posts since
    Aug 4, 2011
    9,636. Oct 13, 2011 7:26 AM (in response to NickP1978)

Here is a silly question but Ill ask it anyway. Does anyone have trouble with there feet itching? I seem to have days where a spot on one foot or the other will start itching very bad. The kind you can not ignor. It goes on for hours and even in my sleep (my wife says) sometimes ill wake up and have scratched it raw. It only happens maybe once a week or so and is off and on for a day. I have no rash or skin problems. It is not allways the same spot or foot but it is only in one spot then goes away. I was thinking Nerves in the foot irritated by running.....or maybe some sort of neuro changes like diabetics have? note my sugars are fine and my A1C s normal. Any thoughts ? Mike

I haven't, I once got some poison ivy on my leg and I scratched that, but nothing close to what you describe, I looked around a bit and found this article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/466592-itchy-feet-while-exercising/ it states it's likely dry skin or athletes foot. Here are some other links I found: http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/foot-itch http://www.livestrong.com/article/522230-running-itchy-toes/

I hope that helps and keep on running!

@Brandon, thanks so much for sharing that, I am doing a two week low carb to drop some and I love the tips, when I go into low carb mode I hit a lot of broccoli and hummous, a lot of cucumbers and lettuce. Greek salads with steak and chicken. I am also fond of splenda based stuff like the sugar free jello. Peanut butter on celery or sprouts are also good. Steak tips, grilled chicken and Veggie dogs are also big for me. So far 3 days 5 pounds.

My first post here http://community.active.com/thread/81129?start=8910&tstart=0

Age 40 Height 6'4'' Weight Start: 345 Current 230 Goal 199. First 30 pounds lost walking

Couch to 5k Start: August 4th 2011 Graduate: 10/06/2011

Using Endomondo!

10/1/2011 First 5k!!! Hearts and Hands for Hope 46:10 pace min/mi 14.58

9/21/2013 3.1 29.58 9:40 Frolic for Flippers 5k Fastest 5k

10/6/2013 13.1 2:31:03 11:32 Smuttynose Half Marathon Fastest Half Marathon

• abbynormaloh75 Pro 111 posts since
    Sep 19, 2011
    9,637. Oct 13, 2011 9:19 AM (in response to Zerorez)
    200+ Pound Club!

well got in another 3.1 miles today.  i am up to w3d3, but i dont know the distance just didn't seem very far this week, so i doubled what the plan suggested.  it took me 4 reps of the 90jog/90 walk 3min jog/3min walk. but i did it and well...my time still sucks. 54 minutes.  my new goal is get below 50.  a week and half ago i just wanted to beat an hour.  not sure i can take that much time off right away, but i am aiming for it.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    9,638. Oct 13, 2011 9:43 AM (in response to NickP1978)

Nick, I did my first 10k on 9/24 and am going to do my first Half next April or May (not sure if I will do the April, definitely doing the May one!).  I am using Hal Higdon's Novice Half-Marathon plan.  Luckily I have more weeks available for training than the length of the plan so I'm stretching it, intentionally repeating some weeks (also I've been on vacation for nearly two weeks at the beginning of this month so need to backstep a little now that I'm back at it!)

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

• Soogie Amateur 20 posts since
    Aug 27, 2011
    9,639. Oct 13, 2011 12:34 PM (in response to OshCat)
    200+ Pound Club!

I started the bridge to 10k this week and it hasn't been too bad.  I finished w1d2 today and did a little more than 3.6miles.  Both days were after working a  12 hr shift so I didn't bother looking at times so much because the fact that I was moving was thrilling to me.  I have noticed that my first 1/2 - 1mile I am slow....... then I start feeling good.  So should I run 1 mile before my 5k or just let adrenaline do it's thing?  Also registration for the Oak Barrel 1/2 marathon is the same day as my 5k.  Should I go ahead and sign up?  Can I be ready for a 1/2 marathon by April?  I guess I am scared to sign up in fear of not being able to do it.

Love reading everyones post... Just been working and not able to respond to everyone.

~soogie

~soogie

C25K start~ 8/14/11

C25K graduation ~ 10/9/11 did a practice 5k today 35:49

Jack Dash 5k ~ 10/22/11 32:56 PR (10:36mile) Woohoo!!

Broadview Elmentary Run for the Eagles Turkey Trot 5k run/walk ~ 11/12/11 38:38 (running in a knee brace and injured.. thrilled I finished)

Borodash 4 mile ~11/24/11

3rd Annual Running of the Turkeys 5k ~11/26/11

Run for Their Life 5k ~ 12/3/11

Tom King Classic Half Marathon ~ 3/10/12

Oak Barrel Half Marathon ~ 4/7/12

http://soogielife.blogspot.com/

• Ogr44 Legend 316 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    9,640. Oct 13, 2011 8:41 PM (in response to ffmedicmt)

ffmedicmt wrote:

Well.....I did it!!! This past saturday I ran the Mackinaw Bridge 5.6 mile fal color race.

What other races do they do up that way?  I am looking for fall - destination race - this year did the Virginia Beach RR !/2 marathon.  I have family history to the old fort up there - going way way back to the Coureurs de Bois.  Family cottage used to be outside Petosky...

I have not been up that way for 20+ years...Looking for something around the Labor day time period - after Son returns to college.

Sound like that would be fun time.  I have driven that bridge many times in my youth...

races in 2013 - Always trying to keep moving

31 Dec 2012: Fairfax 4 miler: 49:34

10 Feb 2013 Run your heart 2013 35:30

Please check out this site: http://www.exceptionalcomfort.blogspot.com/

• ffmedicmt Amateur 23 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    9,641. Oct 13, 2011 9:43 PM (in response to Ogr44)

OGR44

There is only 2 times each  year to run the bridge. The labor day run is state sponsored and they pick 400 runners in a lottery. To get in the lottery you must run a goveners approved run someware in the state (there are a large buch of them)  The other way is the fall color run each year in Oct. It is open to the first 400 to register and pay. They both request you can do 12min/mi pace to enter. Let me know if you would like more info....Mike

Its 5.6miles and the first 2.5 miles is al up hill at 5% grade. The wind can be a deal breaker as well.

Started running July 1st 2011

Weight #306

Height 6'0"

First 5k Sept 3rd 2011 time 34:39

Second 5k Oct 1st 2011 time 30:11

Oct 8th 2011 Mackinaw Bridge 5.6 miles time 56:42

Third 5k 11/24/11 Dork Brothers Turkey Trot 5k Alpena, MI time 27:40

Fourth 5k March 17th 2012 Dork Brothers St Paddy day 5k Alpena, MI 30:25

Ffifth 5k April 28th 2012 Autisim speaks run/walk Rogers City,MI 27:40

First Half Marathon, May 26th 2012 Bayshore Marathon Traverse City MI. 2 hrs 22 Mins

Current Weight 225#

Shooting for Half Marathon in May 2012 *********** I did it !!!!!

June 9th 2012 Mackinac Island Lilac fest 10k 1:04:02

July 4th 2012 Dork Brothers run 5k 29:45

Aug 4th 2012 Nautical fest Rogers city 6k 44:44 with a 12:05 pace with daughter Melissa as her eyes

Aug 25th 2012 Crim race flint 10 mi 02:04:57

Current Weight 240#

Sept 1 2012 Aliferis 5k Alpena 36:13 with daughter Melissa (who is blind)

Sept 3rd 2012 Govenors Mackinac Bridge run 4.33 miles 44:16 with a 10:13 pace, with daughter Amanda...we rocked it!

oct-dec 2012....no running ...weight Jan 1 2013 275# started running again!!

March 16 2013 Dork brothers Run with the leprechauans 5k Alpena 33:02 pace 10:18 weight 255#

May 1 2013 Current Weight #245......Boo!!! got get going on it!!!

May 18 2013 Rogers City Autisim 5k....36:30 with Melissa and Amanda

May 25 2013 Mackinac bridge 5.25 mile 50:39 with a 9:39 pace NEW PR !!!!! Weight still 245#

• LittleEvo Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 17, 2011
    9,642. Oct 13, 2011 10:28 PM (in response to ffmedicmt)

Graduation Day! Week 9 Run 3 for me and I did it! I figured if I could run for thirty minutes, lets see how long it would take for me to run a 5k this morning and I ran for forty two minutes to hit it but I managed to run my 5k! I'm knackered but happy and thank you to all people on this forum for the motivation and encouragement all these weeks because I don't think I would of completed it on my own. I freakin did it!  

And as for what to do now I am just going to spend a month on my thirty minute and feeling I can maintain that before increasing my speed. I may be slow but I will get there in the end!

• futureeaglemom Legend 298 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011
    9,643. Oct 14, 2011 12:01 AM (in response to NickP1978)
    200+ Pound Club!

@ Nick--try searching for Jeff Galloway.  He advocates a walk/run program and it really seems to work.  I will be running my first half this Sunday, and I followed (sort of) Galloways program.  I cut out some "rest" weeks, and my longest run was 12.5 miles last week.  I did the modifications because of time--I didn't have as long as the program called for.  Even with the modifications, I feel ready to do my half.  I may not be fast, but I am confident that I will be able to finish--which is my main goal.

C25K--started 2/13/11

Injury 3/19/11--no running 6 wks

Re-start C25K 4/25/11 Finish C25K (time) 6/23/11

3/12/11 Shamrock Run 2.2 miles DONE!! 29:39 13:28/mile

3/20/11 Schoolhouse to White House 5K DONE!! 43:35 14:02/mile

5/14/11 Run to the Sun 5K DONE!! 42:33 13:42/mile

5/22/11 Medved Lilac 5K Family Fun Run DONE!! 43:40 14:05/mile 1085/1225

5/29/11 Le Race de Chaumont DONE!! 45:29 14:40/mile 95/101

6/12/11 4H Camp Wabasso 5K DONE!! 45:10 14:34/mile

6/18/11 Swamp Rat Run DONE!! 44:03 14:11/mile 420/425

7/3/11 The Patriot Run 5K DONE!! 41:46 13:28/mile 205/213 PR

7/5/11 JCC Trail Run Series 1 3 mile DONE!! 48:16 16:05/mile 69/69

7/19/11 JCC Trail Run Series 2 1.5 mile DONE!! 23:16 15:31/mile 12/30

8/2/11 JCC Trail Run Seried 3 3 mile DONE!! 45:56 15:19/mile 66/67

9/10/11 Running for Recovery from Addiction 10K 1:29:50 14:19/mile PR

10/16/11 Empire State Half Marathon
  • futureeaglemom Legend 298 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011
    9,644. Oct 14, 2011 12:09 AM (in response to Soogie)
    200+ Pound Club!

@ Soogie--Go for it!!  You have 5+ months to get from 5K to 13.1 miles.  You can do it!!  Depending on where you live, it might be hard to get miles in due to weather, so that is something to consider.  April for me here in northern NY is a nice month for running/racing--weather still cool, but the snow is (usually) gone, and usually the temps have been cooperative to be out running for 6-8 weeks or so.  If you live somewhere where winter isn't quite so severe, then you have 5 months to get a nice base in.  Again, go for it!!

C25K--started 2/13/11

Injury 3/19/11--no running 6 wks

Re-start C25K 4/25/11 Finish C25K (time) 6/23/11

3/12/11 Shamrock Run 2.2 miles DONE!! 29:39 13:28/mile

3/20/11 Schoolhouse to White House 5K DONE!! 43:35 14:02/mile

5/14/11 Run to the Sun 5K DONE!! 42:33 13:42/mile

5/22/11 Medved Lilac 5K Family Fun Run DONE!! 43:40 14:05/mile 1085/1225

5/29/11 Le Race de Chaumont DONE!! 45:29 14:40/mile 95/101

6/12/11 4H Camp Wabasso 5K DONE!! 45:10 14:34/mile

6/18/11 Swamp Rat Run DONE!! 44:03 14:11/mile 420/425

7/3/11 The Patriot Run 5K DONE!! 41:46 13:28/mile 205/213 PR

7/5/11 JCC Trail Run Series 1 3 mile DONE!! 48:16 16:05/mile 69/69