Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4253 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2011 8:10 PM by Lochbain RSS
Gvicknair Rookie 3 posts since
Oct 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 13, 2011 7:05 AM

First pair of (REAL) running shoes

New to the site so please bare with me.  I have been running strictly for exercise for several years.  Recently I have dabbled with the occasional 5K race.  I decided to go to a specialty running store and get fitted for a pair of shoes after experiencing slight knee pain while running in my current pair of shoes I bought from Academy sports.  I have only ran in the new pair for just over a week but am now experiencing pain in my calfs while I am running and right after the run.  It kind of seems like shin spints, but what I think and hope is this might be my legs adjusting to the added support of these shoes.  When I got fitted they told me that I was slightly overpronating.  I was sold a pair of Nike Zoom structure 14's.  Has anyone experienced the same thing when going to a new pair of shoes?  I ran last night and still felt some pain but not as bad.  I'm running a race in two days and thinking about using my old pair for the race. 

• johnmcc22 Pro 100 posts since
    Mar 15, 2010
    1. Oct 14, 2011 7:38 PM (in response to Gvicknair)
    Re: First pair of (REAL) running shoes

I used to get shin splints real bad, I went to a running store and they looked at the way I walked and had me try a pair of Asics 2160's, now dont' get them as much or rarely get them. Good luck!

1: Essential2life 5k 4.7.2012

2: Long Branch Half Marathon 5.6.2012

3: Newport - Jersey City 10k 5.12.2012

4: Newport - Jersey City Half Marathon 9.23.2012

5: Atlantic City Half Marathon 10.21.2012

Facebook add me as a friend if you like http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=1215856639

• choptagdotcom Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 14, 2011
    2. Oct 14, 2011 8:21 PM (in response to Gvicknair)

I'm not an expert so caveat on the advice but it seems like you have to start fixing you stride and running style a bit, shoes might be a factor but the way you land on your feet has alot to do with shin pain, try to roll your feet when landing, and less concentration on one area of the foot, like a rolling motion...

the largest comparison shopping site for athletes

www.choptag.com

• 525Jerm Amateur 25 posts since
    Apr 24, 2008
    3. Oct 15, 2011 12:08 PM (in response to Gvicknair)

Sometimes when I get worn down my stride goes to crap. I'll run small distances in minimal shoes or if it's nice, barefoot. Be very careful if you do try this, to start extremely small. Like a 1/4 mile. High cadence is key. Think "light" This will get you use to running with an efficient strike. Then when you put on your shoes your body will hopefully retain some of what it learned. And correct most pronation issues.

• 1forest1 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 11, 2008
    4. Oct 22, 2011 7:21 PM (in response to Gvicknair)

Acouple of years ago I was steered in the same direction. For 2 years I wore Brooks adrenalines and my feet hurt terribly. So I went to youtube and researched stretching and strengthening of my feet. I used tenis balls to roll on, 5 stretching exercises a day and the green bands for stretching and strenthening my foot. Soon the pain disappeared and I have run pain free for yhe last 2 years. I also, wear Brooks Launch shoes which are very light weight. If I were you I'd work on my form, and look at your whole body and how it interacts with the foot, as opposed to trying orthodics and stabilizing shoes.

• Old Coyote Legend 256 posts since
    Apr 9, 2011
    5. Oct 24, 2011 7:11 PM (in response to Gvicknair)

As this is my first season of active racing and studying the sport, I think my advice may be helpful-but I am NOT a doctor!

I have found that when I get a new pair of shoes (and I've had 3 this year) I need to break them in and adjust my feet to them. Try running 1 day in your old shoes, 1 day in your new. This allows different leg and foot muscles to be slowly brought into use, thus minimizing injury from overuse of an unfamiliar muscle.

I ran a 10k in an old pair of shoes this spring, as I was unfamiliar with my shiny new pair. It didn't hurt my time or my feet a bit, but I did retire thenm after the race. They really were too old and broken down.

Also, if you bought the shoes at a reputable merchant, take them back in and talk with an experienced fitter. The seller will want you to be happy, and if you are injured, you will obviously not be buying new gear, so it's too their advantage to keep you healthy! It could be that you have the right shoes but need advice on something as prosaic as proper lacing! Yes, improper lacing took me off my feet for a couple of days.

1forest1 has great advice about stretching, also. And I've also discovered that the more I run, the less I like shoes other than running shoes. I go barefoot or in Vans as much as I can now. My feet and legs appreciate the natural stride. Take a look at your running shoe store, and see what the employees are wearing to work. I bet it's sandals or other minimally supportive shoes.

• Lochbain Amateur 36 posts since
    Apr 23, 2011
    6. Oct 27, 2011 8:10 PM (in response to Gvicknair)

I got a pair of corrective shoes earlier this year. I went from running 10+ miles to 1.5  miles. Wrap your legs with either compression socks or ace bandages (just don't do it tight). Start dropping the miles down to where it doen't hurt and start training over again. Once I was able to start getting my milage back up again I was setting PRs for distances that I had been running for months to train for before. It's worth the wait.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...